Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Now isn't this a familiar face?
Nuzlocke Comics
Welcome to Nuzlocke Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit. We're a community based off the popular "Nuzlocke Challenge", a way of playing the Pokemon video game series on a higher level of difficulty. What is it exactly? Join us and find out that, and more!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
A Nuzlocke Challenge Survival Guide; Personal Tips and Strategies
Topic Started: Apr 26 2011, 02:30 PM (56,807 Views)
LordDrahzar
Member Avatar
Lord of Servitude
I figured I'd put some of my tips that help outlast the odds in my runs and maybe pick up a few from others as well, this thread is for certain strategies people use to keep lasting and fighting.

My personal strategies:
Poison - Always have a poison or steel type in your party to reduce this risk from occuring; always good to have a pokemon with Dig, Fly, or Teleport to get you to a pokemon center ASAP; and if poisoned and you have other pokemon in party, make sure the poisoned victim is not your lead in case of wild battles along the way to avoid trap battles making you lose more HP (this is more for players who have No Items in their rules).

Power Leveling/Grinding - Always good to have a "spot" for power leveling, be it high level exp pokemon or just safe/easy to kill for moderate exp; Best to have one "leveling move" that works well or perfect on multiple types to assure less risk of death and quicker leveling results; Only risk negative type advantage leveling if you're sure you can handle it with minimal chance of disaster.

Team Creation - Personally, I like having a good understanding of Attack/Defense and SpAtk/SpDef in my team, if too much of one or the other I'll swap out to help even the odds; Another personal belief is that if it isn't broken don't fix it, trading out current teammates is best reserved for more strategical replacements or protection purposes (traded my machoke for snorlax at sabrina's gym for obvious reasons).

Again, these are just some of my personal ideas and I'd love to hear others that people have or even expansions on my own suggestions would be great. If possible please try to avoid troll advice, as some people may take it seriously. Hope to see a lot of good responses!
Luck goes both ways...

Generation I Red - Completed - Final Team: Blastoise, Arbok, Gyarados, Arcanine, Magneton, Aerodactyl. Comic coming soon!
Generation II/IV Soul Silver - Johto Completed/Kanto Completed - Final Team: Typloshion, Gyarados, Nidoking, Ampharos, Snorlax. Comic in Writing
Generation III Sapphire - Completed - Final Team: Gyarados, Wobbuffet, Altaria Gameplay Completed

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MagicMagician
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
When grinding before a big Gym battle and you think you should be good to go, GRIND AT LEAST ONE MORE LEVEL ON YOUR POKEMON. Just to be sure. I cannot tell you how many of my Pokemon died in Gym battles when I was confident it was strong enough.

Also, Potions are your friend.

LordDrahzar
Member Avatar
Lord of Servitude
MagicMagician
Apr 26 2011, 03:22 PM
When grinding before a big Gym battle and you think you should be good to go, GRIND AT LEAST ONE MORE LEVEL ON YOUR POKEMON. Just to be sure.
Good point...it's amazing what one more level can do to improve your strategy and odds.

Also something I do that may seem odd, I save singular TM's that won't show up later for the E4. It's a risky strategy because while you may want one of your pokemon to have a great move, saving it will make sure it's put to good use when you need it most...
Luck goes both ways...

Generation I Red - Completed - Final Team: Blastoise, Arbok, Gyarados, Arcanine, Magneton, Aerodactyl. Comic coming soon!
Generation II/IV Soul Silver - Johto Completed/Kanto Completed - Final Team: Typloshion, Gyarados, Nidoking, Ampharos, Snorlax. Comic in Writing
Generation III Sapphire - Completed - Final Team: Gyarados, Wobbuffet, Altaria Gameplay Completed

Posted Image

Shinon
Member Avatar
It truly makes the most beautiful music...

I agree with having a Poison/Steel type in the team to avoid getting poisoned. Also, Steel/Rock types are brilliant shields for explosive pokemon so having a Steel type in the team can be a real life saver. If you think the foe's going to explode or poison your pokemon, just switch in you Steel type. It's beautiful.

Saving single TM's for later isn't that bad. I saved most of my TM's until I was able to challenge the E4 because there is always a chance that the pokemon you gave the TM to dies before that and then both your pokemon AND the TM move is gone forever and you can't teach it to a replacement. It really depends on the generation; sone pokemon learn very good moves naturally but some may need TM moves pretty badly.

And one more: avoid double battles as much as possible. If you see that there is a chance to avoid a double battle, do so. Double battles can be really evil and one error estimate may result in a death of a teammate.
Edited by Shinon, Apr 27 2011, 06:44 AM.
Posted Image
My art thread.

yurbleyurble13
Member Avatar
Destroyer of Pants

All I have to say is grind and pussy out whenever possible. If you things something's not going to go right, like a gym battle, or an event battle, you think you're a little too low... DON'T THINK. JUST RUN. Starter almost went out the window one time because I thought Cyrus would be a pushover.
Posted Image
Update November 13th, 2011

Yurble's screenshot run!

Puffy333
Member Avatar
Secretly a Grandma
Always carry at least one repel at all times, especially if you're doing a blind run and don't know the route Pokemon well. You might be running deep into the grass when you find out that all the wild Pokemon are supereffective against all your Pokemon. Since there's always a chance that you can't run from the wild battle, it's safer to use a repel to get out of the area.
Posted Image
Deviantart - Tumblr

Flandre
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Striaton Gym
Quote:

Poison - Always have a poison or steel type in your party to reduce this risk from occuring; always good to have a pokemon with Dig, Fly, or Teleport to get you to a pokemon center ASAP; and if poisoned and you have other pokemon in party, make sure the poisoned victim is not your lead in case of wild battles along the way to avoid trap battles making you lose more HP (this is more for players who have No Items in their rules).

Um... you could always use an antidote/full heal/full restore? Hell, if you don't have any of those by the time you've got a Pokemon that can teleport/dig/fly, then that's just silly.

Posted Image

Mokona
Member Avatar
Shipping made easy

Powergrind your ass off. And unless it's R/S/E or B/W, never, ever grind on Victory Road. I don't entirely know the survivability of the pokemon on the D/P/Pt road though. . . >>
Stop making sexual references about my tangerines! D<

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
A Touhoumon Random Run, Scarlet Style
. . .

Thanks so much Kynim <33333

xBlooiex
Member Avatar
Pokeartist Extraordinaire

Carry lotsssss of antidotes. I cannot stress that enough :(

And always make sure there is at least one tank on your team to take hits that come your way. Have one on my current team who saved the others' lives so many times ;u;

I agree with the TM thing as well, you never know when someone might just die and take the TM with it :'( Best to wait till you have your E4 team in concrete.
Posted Image

Blooie's Nuzlocke Challenge: A Platinum Odyssey
view entire run HERE!

Shadow31
Member Avatar
Resident nutcase

Always have AT LEAST 10 Antidotes. 15 if you're entering the region's forest.

Grind. If you're afraid of a pokemon, you've not grinded enough.

Never have a team of 6 glass cannons.

Don't take risks. You're pokemon able to take out that foe, as long as it doesn't get a five-crit Fury Swipes? It's gonna get that five-crit Fury Swipes.

You still haven't grinded enough.
If you're going through hell, keep going. -Winston Churchill

[10:26:34 PM] Yoshigali: YOU TWO ARE [explicative] EVIL YOU HEAR ME? EVIL

LordDrahzar
Member Avatar
Lord of Servitude
Flandre
Apr 27 2011, 08:34 AM
Um... you could always use an antidote/full heal/full restore? Hell, if you don't have any of those by the time you've got a Pokemon that can teleport/dig/fly, then that's just silly.
My rule variation is NoItems which is why I stress the return moves and carrying a poison or steel type. In my non-nuzlocke runs i always carried 5 of each status healing item just in case which is a good tip for ItemAccessible runs since even something less lethal like paralyze can still switch up your entire strategy.

Another tip for those doing NoItem runs (primarily for the Elite 4) is to have a good defense pokemon with Rest or any healing move (if possible). Until he died, Snorlax was a beast about doing major damage, taking major damage, and then sleeping it off to go right back to pummeling.
Luck goes both ways...

Posted Image

Lenni
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Don't bother running from wild pokemon unless your team's low on HP, or if the only pokemon that aren't low on HP are weak to whatever's in the area. Third gen or later, you may get lucky and get pokeHIV, and anything else you just keep the experience. Once I realized this I just stopped running from wild mons... I also lost a newer pokemon this way, so if you're going to do it, be wary of level.
Lislire's opinion of the above message:

BOTH OF THE FOLLOWING COMICS ARE DEAD:
Pokemon White
Pokemon Crystal

Hyperius629
Member Avatar
NANANANANA
Never risk trying to kill an exploder unless you know you can take it out. Becuase it can, and WILL, explode on its first move.

Try to keep as much type coverage as possible. You never know when a trainer will throw a curveball at you.

If your not doing a no-item run, then keep excessive amounts of items on you at all times. (I had TWENTY Super Potions going into Misty in FireRed. Thats how paranoid I was. I was right, too.)

Know the pokemon on the routes, up to their most devastating move. That way, you know what to run from, and what you can safely kill.

Try to keep above the levels of wilds at all costs. The last thing you need is nature itself killing you.

Got an Exp. Share? USE IT. This can save you so much time in grinding the few of your team who fell behind, as well as giving your high-leveled mon a few more exp/levels.

ALWAYSALWAYSALWAYS save tms until you absolutely need them.

Grinding is the answer to everything.

Never tackle a trainer if your pokemon are weak. These trainers will magically have strong pokemon.

And finally, never doubt the power of any one pokemon. Those pokemon can, and in several thousand cases have, saved a run from going belly-up.
I can't stop listening

Yo dudes, go check out The Nintendo Wars

Dexter
No Avatar
Derp
I don't switch my pokemon out ever as I feel this takes away from the challenge a bit, so none of those rules about using certain pokemon really apply to me. I just use whatever I catch first. A couple tips I have though:

Don't use your good TM's on a brand new member of the team. Wait until they've proven themselves first and have leveled up a bit. You cannot image how many times I've wasted good TMs by giving them to brand new members of the team only to have them die in their first real battle.

Always carry a few spare pokedolls just in case. Again, speaking from experience of trying to run from powerful wild pokemon only to have the "can't escape" message appear and then they slaughter me with crits.

Carry at least 20 balls on you at all times if possible. Self explanatory.

Don't fight trainers you aren't sure you can beat until you're 100% sure you can beat them. Just because you have 4 pokemon with earthquake and the next gym leader is steel type doesn't mean you're going to win. Also, just because your pokemon can mop the floor with 9/10 trainers on a route doesn't mean the 10th trainer is a pushover.
Edited by Dexter, Apr 27 2011, 04:30 PM.

Utahraptor
Member Avatar
Fossil Trainer
Never assume that something isn't going to crit or that your opponent won't use a specific move.

Also, if the opponent has a really strong move with crap accuracy (I'm looking at you, Horn Drill) it will hit.

Personal preference here: get Pokemon with high speed or defense. They need to be able to strike before the opponent or be capable of taking a hit. I've never had a glass cannon survive.
Avatar from: http://creattica.com/photoshop/velociraptor/30723

Flandre
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Striaton Gym
LordDrahzar
Apr 27 2011, 12:37 PM
Flandre
Apr 27 2011, 08:34 AM
My rule variation is NoItems which is why I stress the return moves and carrying a poison or steel type.
Well I assumed from the title that this thread was for Nuzlockes in general, with silly side-rules ignored since most people tend to start with the basic 2 rules.

Of course, if this is a thread about extra rules then I will merge this thread with the rule variant sticky.

Posted Image

Posted Imagecharliemew2Posted Image
Member Avatar
QUARKYGUY STOP BREAKING THINGS
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS GRIND. Being Overleveled? There's no problem with that. Count on crits always hitting, and I haven't seen anybody say, be wary of Pursuit. Seriously in my Platinum run right now, it's a real bitch. My Espeon almost bit the big one because of a crit.
Run I'll finish someday

I also like League of Legends. Username is charliemew2 :)

Posted Image

Meinfoo
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
If your newly caught Pokemon is low on health and facing a wild pokemon DO NOT RUN. SWITCH. Unless the thing has pursuit you WILL get the can't escape message and the derp you are training will die.
Spoiler: click to toggle

POKEMON YOU VERSION

GET THE FUCK IN THERE

The Blog For My Upcoming Nuzlocke Latest Update: BETA DESIGN FOR MAIN CHARACTER 22/06/11

Raikaria
Member Avatar
Star Platinum!
There is only one hint I can give you.

Always keep Murphys Law in mind. If something can go wrong, it WILL go wrong. Critpoision Sludge Bombs, for example, for a 5 turn sleep with crits each turn.

LordDrahzar
Member Avatar
Lord of Servitude
Flandre
Apr 28 2011, 12:16 AM
Well I assumed from the title that this thread was for Nuzlockes in general, with silly side-rules ignored since most people tend to start with the basic 2 rules.

Of course, if this is a thread about extra rules then I will merge this thread with the rule variant sticky.
My apologies, a lot of the other advice given was for Nuzlocke General so it wasn't intended to be just advice on my particular run, just a guide to any possibilities and strategies gained from these challenges. I'll keep this as a General advice thread to keep it from being any more trouble.

Using moves that cost you a turn or decrease your major stats should be saved either for last or against an overpowered foe, those kind of odds against you can sometimes be all it takes to lose someone important. Simply put, don't use Draco Meteor on a Metapod if there's a Dragonite waiting on the backburner of a battle...
Luck goes both ways...

Posted Image

2 users reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Members: supermarioSS3
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Challenge Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply