Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Ever wondered what it'd be like to live life as a fat balding man rapidly approaching death? No? This week's feature shows you what it's like!
Nuzlocke Comics
Welcome to Nuzlocke Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit. We're a community based off the popular "Nuzlocke Challenge", a way of playing the Pokemon video game series on a higher level of difficulty. What is it exactly? Join us and find out that, and more!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
A Nuzlocke Challenge Survival Guide; Personal Tips and Strategies
Topic Started: Apr 26 2011, 02:30 PM (53,103 Views)
LightningLord2
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Mauville Gym
What is more important than reaching a proper level (losing mons can easily slow your leveling) is planning a good strategy against difficult trainers. I once tried beating Whitney in Silver with a team of Level 23s and still got wiped. Tactics are more important than levels.
Edited by LightningLord2, Jul 18 2011, 01:54 PM.
Posted Image

Touhoumon Mercury
"Now, once again...everything shall be
purged!! This stuttering and weak era will
be replaced by a supreme, ultimate, evil
fundoshi hell!!"
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Darcanine
No Avatar
Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Status moves are your friend. Use them. That self-destruct you sense coming isn't gonna do much if the bomb's at -4 or -2. Can't OHKO a dangerous poke? At +1 you might be able to.
Important battle coming up? Make sure everyone's equal or close to equal in level. Even the ones you don't plan to use. You never know when something unexpected will force you to go with plan B or C and so on.

GRIND FOREVER. GRIND UNTIL YOUR THUMBS FALL OFF.

Day Maker
Member Avatar
Most people's reactions to me.
LightningLord2
Jul 18 2011, 01:54 PM
What is more important than reaching a proper level (losing mons can easily slow your leveling) is planning a good strategy against difficult trainers. I once tried beating Whitney in Silver with a team of Level 23s and still got wiped. Tactics are more important than levels.
I forgot that too. Planning who goes first is important. It means you don't have a disagvantage caused by an error in judgement. One time, I was expecting an Onix first. Got it completely wrong, Thankfully, swapping out didn't get something killed that time.

And watch out for a shift in level at any point. If you're near the last gym, chances are it'll be way higer than recent ones. The E4 have the same. The harder challenges? Same again. Always watch out for them.
That guy who's too optimistic about others and abuses :P
Now with erratic updates! (23/6/12)
Posted Image
Banner by Baka
Blag
All the old run stuff moved to the blog.

ChineseViking
Member Avatar
He's updating again! RUN!

Think you're safe because you're up against a type your 'mon is resistant to? Think again. You never know when that crit will hit.
Posted Image

MOST RECENT UPDATE: 07/01/14

DeviantArt / Nuzlocke Tumblr

xerovene
Member Avatar
Some Dude
Be CAREFUL grinding new catches. Over 3/4s of my deaths in my Sapphire run are from grinding replacements, and right now I'm screwed with a team of 5 and one backup in the box that I don't want to use.
click here for lolz
Successful Runs

Failed/Abandoned Runs

Ongoing Runs

Why do I do this to myself?

Team Communitylocke Yellow Team!
Posted Image

Future (pokemon-related) Plans

ColonelDarren
Member Avatar
14-Time Nuzlocke Completionist
Always restock up on medicines every time you pass by a town. This does not mean just buy fifteen potions per city. This means -every time- you pass by the Mart, you check your bag to make sure you have things prepared. I almost never go into uncharted territory against trainers without at least 30 healing items and 15 Full Heal.

Poison is not the only crippling status that there is. You will rarely be affected by Freeze, but carry 5 heals for that and Burn just in case. Paralysis -will- kill some of your Pokemon. In fact, there have been times I'd rather have Toxic Poison on me than paralysis just for that 25% lockup chance.

This may sound excessively cruel as well, but make sure that if worse comes to worse, know which of your Pokemon you can lose. I -have- been forced into corners where I had to essentially choose whom on my team -had- to die in a rough fight. One notable example was choosing not to heal a Banette against Wallace's Vaporeon and just Thunderbolt it to knock it down into Curse's killing range so it couldn't pass off several boosts. Some players are adverse to letting their team die, but sometimes, it's better to lose one than to lose six.

Also, make sure you can carry at least a specified Type Killer. I cannot stress this enough. In every generation, there are going to be problem trainers with certain types, and most of the time, the types resistant or immune to the problem are uncommon to catch or aqquire. Make sure if you notice there's a problem against a certain type, you take something to effectively deal with it. This can be -crucial- at certain points. For example, a Normal Killer will be needed at certain points later in Sinnoh when Starraptor start showing up. Something bulky or quick with strong Attack will be needed in Red/Blue Kanto to deal with Kadabra and Alakazams, such as Snorlax or Scyther.

Never go in blind. Always try to plan your routes and training ahead. The absolute worst thing you could possibly imagine is getting blindsided by a trainer with Pokemon typing you were unprepared for. Take the time to ask around or look up certain routes so you can plan things. This also applies to training. The highest-level area for grinding is not always the best. Sometimes, it's better to take things slower and safer. In Sinnoh, you can easily train up on typical routes instead of the harder-to-kill Victory Road Pokemon. Or Tentacruels.
Links to Darren's Nuzlocke Saga!
COMPLETED RUNS
(RED)-(GOLD)-(PLAT)-(EM386)-(PLAT ENHANCE)-(YELLOW)-(EMERALD)-(CRYSTAL)-(DIAMOND)-(MANLY PINK)-Super Robot Wars J (Screenshot)
NidoNidoRama
Kanto-Johto-Clement's Manly Pink
Collaborations
Zeronos/Colonel Darren on Platinum(Walking the Path of Heaven)

littlebattler
Member Avatar
Captain of Glaceon Pilots
grind less

gives the run more drama than you need.
Storylocke thing imma make banner later dunno but do check it out I guess

arbiter7x
Member Avatar
United we PWN
littlebattler
Jul 18 2011, 08:49 PM
grind less

I would take this as a joke, but seriously, don't over grind a pokemon and neglect everyone else. You never know WHO you are going to lose. Held items are godsent (unless you run without them) and so are certain abilities like levitate and even minor ones like run away or pickup, as I got stuck in Victory road once with ALL my Pokemon down to red, but thankfully my Linloone picked up an escape rope to save my hind

and EV train, always EV train. Don't grind blindly and end up losing bcause you can't 1HKO something and leaving it with red health, only for it to 1HKO you in return. Having designated Team tanks are always important as you need a "general tank" that you can turn to to suck up hits and heal your pokemon (don't be like Ruby in Episode 29 and sacrifice something when you can have a tank to suck it up)

and try to memorise the rough BST of common pokemon, like say snorlax is a SPECIAL tank but can be downed by strong STAB physical moves, and Golem is a PHYSICAL tank and can be downed by strong special moves, even if they are not very effective (I kill gravellers and geodudes with flamethrower all the time)
Edited by arbiter7x, Jul 20 2011, 06:30 AM.
CURRENT RUN

SUSPENDED!!!!

Completed

NEW CAMPAIGN BANNER!

King
Member Avatar
I got hyped once and it was awful

Always carry plenty of revives and max revives, if a pokemon faints, you'll have to walk back to the pokemon center to heal it.

I obviously didn't read the rules.

Ahurrdurr, let me be clear, NEVER underestimate early pokemon like Spearow or Kakuna, when they evolve, they may prove to be useful.

In a sololocke, picking a pokemon with a nasty type disadvantage to some of the harder gyms is generally a bad idea. So don't do a solo Breloom run in Emerald, where Flannery, Winona and Liza/Tate are the hardest gym leaders. (This depends on your skill as a player, I have done a solo Breloom run in Emerald, but the key is powergrinding)

In a sololocke, play with an emulator. It speeds up so much of the time needed to grind. Turbo A button is your friend.

Didja find a shiny? Good, don't use it, if you can, put in a safe box, and catch the same non-shiny pokemon. This is only if you're a diehard follower of the "Release don't box" rule in Nuzlockes.

Music inspires all, listen to Thrice's version of "Helter Skelter" during a Gym Battle, and you'll find yourself performing better, music you like that can boost your adrenaline is a good choice.

Losing a teammate is tough, if you fly into a blind rage because of this, you have no one else to blame but yourself when you end up letting a bro die to a foe who you misjudged in your fit of fury.

If you lose your starter, it's not out of the ordinary. It happens to the best of Nuzlockers.

You know you've encaptured the hearts of your readers when you get fanart from them, if you find that you recieve very few/disparaging comments, maybe that run has lost its "Oomph", try to spice it up.

Don't stalk the people who inspire you, and if you choose to ignore this rule, do your stalking over PM, and not on their runs, and most certainly NOT on other threads where they post. It's immature, and it will not end well.

If you fuck up, deal w/ it, and move on, your situation is not unlike a billion other situations that we've all gone through. It's nice to know you have a heart if you commission a nice piece of artwork from someone in memory of a fallen comrade, but don't fuck your update schedule in the ass because "I'm so beat up over XXXX's death".

That is all.

mai waifu

X-Naut
Member Avatar
Will you cut that out already?
I'll add a few of my own tips:

-Try to maintain a balance between offense and defense. Having 5 glass cannons to 1 tank is not a good balance; you should have at least 2 so that one can back up the other.

-Derp =/= garbage. Derp just refers to common mons with very general typing and below-average stats. Garbage is something that is only good for death fodder. Don't mix them up.

-Unless you're not using the box, out of balls, or already have 3 of it in the box, ALWAYS catch it.

-Uncertainty is your nemesis. If a situation could go two ways, always expect the worst and prepare for it. Something's consistently taking off 40% of your HP? Heal every time until it misses or runs out of PP, or switch to something else. Think a mon could have Self-Destruct or Explosion? It probably does, and you should prepare for it immediately. Going into an area where plenty of things can go wrong? Swap out your favorite mon for the scrappy should you need a sacrifice and take frequent trips to the Pokemon Center.

-Do NOT Nuzlocke a hard mode hack blindly.
Some non-Pokemon runs

If I were a Pokemon...
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

WanderinGen
Member Avatar
Analytical pokemon player
My tactics include:

1.) Know the enemy: You should always notice what trainers and gym leaders you need to go against, and understand what pokemon they're likely to have on hand. Understanding the moves they might use doesn't hurt either.

2.) Stock up: MAke sure that you have everything you need whenever you get ready to leave for the next town for the first time. Some unexpected things can happen, from rare pokemon that need a few more balls to catch, to a powerful trainer you can't avoid.

3.) Pokemon centers and safe houses are terrific for grinding: If the rules you place allow it, grinding outside of a town or route, then returning to free healing can greatly cut back on costs for you. Take advantage.

4.) Diversify: Always go for a balanced team, if possible. Go for pokemon that would work well with others in case of a double battle, and also make sure that each member has moves not only to STAB, but moves that can cover a weakness, if needed.

5.) Don't forget to switch: Not only to round out experience, but also to allow certain members to rest or avoid a killing move if they get weak (strategy won't work if you switch to someone who'd also be weak to attack).

6.) Play your strengths: While having pokemon for attacks in physical and special is important, if you can't manage you can still make things work. Natures can lower one stat to raise another, and if a normally special pokemon looks a bit tougher in physical (or vise versa), don't be afraid to go for the highest number. If your team is all physical you can still do well by loading up on status moves and physical attacks.

littlebattler
Member Avatar
arbtier7x
Jul 20 2011, 06:28 AM
littlebattler
grind less

I would take this as a joke,
too bad, I was being serious.

Overgrinding kills the challenge :v:

LightningLord2
Member Avatar
littlebattler
Jul 20 2011, 10:18 AM
arbtier7x
littlebattler
grind less

It's also tedious and unfun.
Posted Image

Touhoumon Mercury
fundoshi hell!!"

ShiroInu
Member Avatar
Lazyass
Here's my advice for Nuzlocking.

- Always train a full team. Just having a full team is not enough - they should be raised to level, and have a strong moveset. Some strong trainer could wipe your whole team, and when all that's left is your HM slave, you're going to lose.

- That being said, don't use HM slaves. I really don't see the need. Particularly in 4th/5th gen, where the more useless HMs are not required to get around. Nobody ever needs to learn Flash. Surf/Strength (even Cut early on) are decent, useable attacks.

- Don't underestimate something percieved to be a weak or gimmick species. All those things people call 'derps' could be the last survivor on your team if you raise them properly. Even Bidoof can be awesome. As for gimmicks, I've used a Castform and a Minun with great success, even though I thought they were both weak and useless.

- Diversify. Don't repeat types on your team unless you have no alternative - this keeps you from getting wiped because of one glaring type weakness. This counts for movesets too - some fire types can learn grass moves, and psychic types can often learn several types of move. Try not to have more than 2 attacks of the same type on a Pokemon.

- Grinding: yes, it's tedious and boring, and yes, doing enough of it can save your team. Even 1 level might make the difference. My general rule is 5 levels per city, but it's really up to you. Just keep in mind there are no second chances.

- Never pass on a catch. Even if you play without the dupes rule (like I do), it's better to have 10 Wailmer than nothing left in the box.
Edited by ShiroInu, Jul 20 2011, 12:33 PM.
Posted Image
Shiro's Trial: a Nuzlocke Adventure in Kanto; Part 32 - May 3rd

Urahara
Member Avatar
Smile for the ult, baby!
Raise a team of more than 6 pokemon.
I know this may sound a tad strange, But I've used this strategy to great success before. When you have a full team, and encounter a pokemon that could replace another team member, -DON'T- do it. Instead raise that pokemon with the members of your team, so you have 7 pokemon up to level instead of just 6.(or more, I've had 10 pokemon up to level at one point or another) This will allow greater type coverage, and help with nasty surprises. even if you're going in blind, the kind gent at the frount of the gym usually tells you the typing of the gym leader so you can plan accordingly. Yes, This method takes a long time, but it's also safer.
YOU DECIDE MY FATE! Scorched earth 2.0 nuzlocke
Posted Image~JamesPosted Image~GabrielPosted Image~VeronaPosted Image~Trixie

ms-meryl
Member Avatar
Nuzlocke Newbie
-Never assume you're safe. Just because you've got type/move advantage doesn't mean an easy win.

-Multi-hit moves or trap moves like Fury Swipes or Wrap are more dangerous than you might think. I've lost good pokemon from Wrap because I didn't take it seriously. If you've got a pokemon with moderate damage and there's a chance of being hit by one, use a potion.

- NEVER enter a gym leader fight unless ALL your pokemon are within two levels of the leader's weakest pokemon. You never know what might happen, so all your pokemon should be relatively close to the leader's in strength.

-Do whatever it takes to gain an advantage, even if the work is tedious. Do the Pokeathalon to get evolution stones. Save money and buy TMs. Do an in-game trade if it gets you a pokemon with type advantage. It might be boring as hell, but the work pays off.

-Always have a back-up plan. Hell, have back-up plans for your back-up plan. If a pokemon on your team has a major electric weakness, keep a ground type on the team AND try to give that 'mon ground moves in case the ground type dies.

littlebattler
Member Avatar
for those who hate grinding :
use a team of only 4 pokemon at max. Limits your coverage, but helps you with less grinding.

arbiter7x
Member Avatar
United we PWN
LightningLord2
Jul 20 2011, 11:28 AM
littlebattler
arbtier7x
littlebattler
grind less

sorry for the mix up there, I was referring to grinding to be at least your opponent's level (if your run does not prohibit it). Nobody grinds their pokemon to level 50 before the 2nd gym, and I am not keen on doing that either. What I meant is that you should grind reasonably, especially on gyms where the level gap between it and the previous gym is HUGE, like Mossdeep and Fortree.
CURRENT RUN

SUSPENDED!!!!

Completed

NEW CAMPAIGN BANNER!

littlebattler
Member Avatar
arbtier7x
Jul 21 2011, 05:08 AM
LightningLord2
Jul 20 2011, 11:28 AM
littlebattler
arbtier7x

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

sorry for the mix up there, I was referring to grinding to be at least your opponent's level (if your run does not prohibit it). Nobody grinds their pokemon to level 50 before the 2nd gym, and I am not keen on doing that either. What I meant is that you should grind reasonably, especially on gyms where the level gap between it and the previous gym is HUGE, like Mossdeep and Fortree.
2-3 levels below the gym is fine for maximum suspense while still giving you a chance

Although 10 levels is fine if you're not doing a no-item run and chanced upon a bulky pokemon (fuck yeah umbreon)

LightningLord2
Member Avatar
<<This cool guy consistently beats Elite 4s with 15+ levels disadvantage.
Posted Image

Touhoumon Mercury
fundoshi hell!!"

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Challenge Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply