Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
All Hale the new feature! Also, let us know what your favorite Pokemon are!
Nuzlocke Comics
Welcome to Nuzlocke Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit. We're a community based off the popular "Nuzlocke Challenge", a way of playing the Pokemon video game series on a higher level of difficulty. What is it exactly? Join us and find out that, and more!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
About the 'Dupes Clause'
Topic Started: Aug 25 2011, 06:55 PM (5,456 Views)
Laddie
Member Avatar
The pavement was his enemy.

To me, the whole "dupes" thing pretty much disregards one of the two original rules completely, so I rarely use it.
"I aint gay I just want to fap to girl with giant boobs and cock fucking another girl. strapon is a decent substitute but I prefer the moneyshot to be one girl jizzing into the face of the other."

-Abraham Lincoln
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Raikaria
Member Avatar
Star Platinum!
Eh, my opinion on the Dupes Clause varies after my Red run. It depends on the game.

You see, the Nuzlocke challenge is supposed to breed odd teams. However, in some games, such as Red, the Dupes clause makes pretty much the same team all the time, and guarentees certain captures, because Pidgey and Rattata lins are EVERYWHERE.

I usually use a dupes clause which allows me to skip evolution lines. However, I can pick up a dupe if I want. It's also nulled if the old capture is dead.

However, on games such as Red, and possibly G/S/C, I'll not use a Dupes Clause. Although later games tend to be better about pokemon placement, with the exception of the Zigzagoon, Poochyena, and Bidoof lines.

Hell, in B/W, you don't even NEED a dupes clause... all you'll be preventing is Audino and Pidove most the time, and also increaseing the odds you get Purrloin on Route 2.

Aviana
Member Avatar
Well, if that's how you want to play.
I use the dupes clause, although I might try not using it once to see how it goes. I prefer having a diverse team and I would feel silly raising a team of Poochyena. I go by the Dex - if the Dex says I have it, I'm not getting it. Doesn't matter if that teammate is already dead.
Flight (wt) - A Black story run
Last update: 6/2
Story progress: Striaton City
In-game progress: Castelia City

I has Moemon.

Like mafia games? Check out Scumhunt!

Temporarily on hiatus

Alice in Strings
Member Avatar
Am I too late?
I use the dupes clause a little differently. If I catch a Pokemon, its there for life. What I mean is, even if the Pokemon dies, I can't ever catch any of its evolutions or its base form. Although this means I won't end up with a team of Rattata, it also means that if I lose a bro, I can't just go and say "OH, my old one died, welcome aboard new bro!" It creates diversity as well as punishes me for being careless.

Mentor of : Posted Image (Made by Yoshigali)
Completed Runs

Posted Image

Phantom Kat
No Avatar
Conqueror of the Pewter Gym
Personally, I don't use the No Dupes clause. Getting a second or a third opportunity to catch a Pokemon I don't have seems like cheating to me, as though I was bending the rules to have a better chance at catching good team members. Having the misfortune to run into a Dupe as my first Pokemon adds an extra level of frustration. It forces me to suck it up and train the team I already have harder to make up for it. Plus, as Shirolnu said, there are going to be areas where you're not going to run into Dupes, and if I end up with a bunch of Pidgey and Rattata, I'll at least have these areas to look forward to.

- Kat

TheEdgeOfForever
Member Avatar
charliemew2 sucks
Aviana
Aug 30 2011, 12:55 PM
I use the dupes clause, although I might try not using it once to see how it goes. I prefer having a diverse team and I would feel silly raising a team of Poochyena. I go by the Dex - if the Dex says I have it, I'm not getting it. Doesn't matter if that teammate is already dead.
I do it this way too. I've tried to not use dupes clause but it can get annoying fast, especially on Emerald. And its worse considering I force myself not to box Pokemon, so I could have been caught with a team of mainly Poochyena (though IIRC I have seen only dupe in the whole run, where I caught Lotad).
Current Run: The End of a Metrilogy.

Storyshots
Soul Silver Nuzlocke Run, Platinum Enhanced Nuzlocke Run.
Lost Emerald.

Silly Runs

Alternate Evolutions V1 Nuzlocke Run.
Only Metronome Run Part 2!

E-102 Grasshat
Member Avatar
:V

Fiona Brighton
Aug 30 2011, 01:22 PM
I use the dupes clause a little differently. If I catch a Pokemon, its there for life. What I mean is, even if the Pokemon dies, I can't ever catch any of its evolutions or its base form. Although this means I won't end up with a team of Rattata, it also means that if I lose a bro, I can't just go and say "OH, my old one died, welcome aboard new bro!" It creates diversity as well as punishes me for being careless.

Heh, never thought about it that way. If I applied that portion of "No duplicates" into my run then I wouldn't have another of the Bidoof or Starly families anymore. Which I approve anyway since I was fairly careless with both of those deaths.
Forum avatar courtesy of zephyrion
http://coll-of-the-haunted.tumblr.com/
Nowadays I mostly lurk. I wish DS emulators didn't crap out on me.

Alice in Strings
Member Avatar
Am I too late?
E-102 Ad hominem
Aug 30 2011, 05:22 PM
Fiona Brighton
Aug 30 2011, 01:22 PM

Heh, never thought about it that way. If I applied that portion of "No duplicates" into my run then I wouldn't have another of the Bidoof or Starly families anymore. Which I approve anyway since I was fairly careless with both of those deaths.
It works for me especially because I tend to use Com Mons like Pidgey and Zubat more than anything else. So if one dies, I have to use something new to me. My typical team has the Starter, Zubat, Com Mon rodent, Derp water, Derp fire/grass, and Derp electric.
Mentor of : Posted Image (Made by Yoshigali)
Completed Runs

Posted Image

thedudeman36
Member Avatar
Derp
I've been using the Dupes Clause. However, I have not used the 'Evolution Line' Addition. But it has been bugging me, wondering whether the clause applies only to living Pokémon, or if it goes by what's listed as caught in the PokéDex.
Am I illuminated? Am I as bright as a streetlight? Is this an illuminated dream?

The Hero Hartmut
Member Avatar
Hayfever counts as a grass weakness, right?
I used a variant in my first run, in which, as long as I don't engage against the wild Pokémon of which I already have something within its evolutionary line, I can try again with the next one. This means I can't attack any if I want the catch, and, if I can't run, I'm locked into the fight, and can never run from any future battles in that area. I actively avoided keeping my fastest mons in the front when I entered a new route (in favour of levelling up weaker teammates, regardless of speed), and use of the Smoke Ball was prohibited. I called it 'Poké Gear Solid', as, so long as I could sneak past the dupe without being detected, I could try the next encounter.

These days, however, I don't use the Dupes Clause. That method was there to ease me into the concept, and little more.
Edited by The Hero Hartmut, Nov 26 2012, 03:38 AM.
Posted Image

The Unforgiving - A Leaf Green Storylocke

Mother 3: Dancing For My Supper - 'Busking Mode' screenshot run (hiatus)

Pokémon: Total Wormage - A Worms-themed Alt Evos screenshot run (failed)

Without courage, wisdom fails and power corrupts.
Without wisdom, courage loses hope and power is senseless.
Without power, courage is weak and wisdom is useless.
This is why heroes must possess all three...

Sir Breygon
Member Avatar

I used the dupes clause on my first Nuzlocke of Platinum (which got very bloody very quickly but the upside was that I got to use some Pokemon I hadn't used before) but on my Black Nuzlocke I just caught the first thing I caught on each route and only ended up with two Lillipups and one of everything else.

One question for those who exclude the whole evolutionary line what do you do when it's a Pokemon like Gloom that has a split evolutionary line do you exclude them both or just one of them?
Posted Image
Completed Runs:

DoubleSmiggins
No Avatar
Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
I've generally been using dupe clause based on whether I've caught it before. If the Pokeball symbol is there, no catch. In my current run it hasn't come up except as a way to cheese my way to a Milotic, and in the run before that all it allowed me to do was evolve my Mantyke (which otherwise basically wouldn't have been possible). If I'm paying attention and can be consistent about it, I prefer to use rules preventing me from endlessly farming areas (such as forfeiting capture rights after the first four encounters). I may try going without it at some point.

Powerrave
Member Avatar
The coolest Medabot, Sonic-Stag

I use the dupes clause. I didn't in my first run, but started using it in my Leaf Green. I mainly like it because it makes every Pokemon you have be unique.
"Always be yourself, unless you're a loser." ~Doctor Ted, Baklap TV

Add me if you want..
Steam & PSN: Powerrave
Skype & Youtube: Thepowerrave
Facebook
Soul Silver Nuzlocke fanfic: New World Disorder
Medabots Fanfic: Story of Sonic-Stag
Posted Image

Madotsuki
Member Avatar
Stabstabstab
arbiter7x
Aug 26 2011, 03:13 AM
NO FUCKING DUPES CLAUSE, cause 5 Zigzagoons is BOSS as you get a rare candy every 3 minutes and basically do not need to visit the mart for like ever.

Jokes aside, dupes clause is just another "make it easier" thing people came up with, and Nuzlocke himself did catch dupes if I'm not mistaken.
Nuzlocke DID use dupes clause, though, at least in FireRed. So your argument is bunk.

I use dupes clause, because I like the ability to occasionally get rarer 'mons. I probably should start limiting the additional encounters it grants... an almost guaranteed absol is kinda dumb.
Fuck gold memberships

This image requires a Nuzlocke Gold Membership to view!

Hugin
No Avatar
Indigo League Champion
A LOT depends on the region. Kanto is horrible without dupes, you could end up with 80% of your captures being repeats. Hoenn, meanwhile, has minimal dupes outside of water routes.

Part of the point of the challenge is to force team diversity, make you use things you've never used before. Dupes clause helps that, which is why I use it.

Krudler
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
I use the dupes clause, but I go by the number of the pokemon in the pokedex. Like lets say I catch a spearow, if it dies, I cannot catch another spearow, but I can catch a fearow if I'm lucky enough to run across one because in my opinion spearow is not the same pokemon as fearow. In my current run, what I do is catch the first unique pokemon I see in an area. After I finish this run, I'm going to change the rules though. Might eliminate the clause or might change it a bit, not sure. Currently, I have no limit to how many encounters it takes to get a unique pokemon in an area, and I think I'll have to enstate one in the future, but I really don't want to change the rules mid run like I am right now.

eworm
Member Avatar
Cheerful & Bright > Edgy & Gloomy

For me the first catch is the first catch, no matter a repeat or not. Sure, it might get you a lot of the same Pokemon, but hey! Now you can choose which one to go with - after all an Adamant (Atk>SpA) Guts Rattata outshines a Modest (SpA>Atk) Run Away one, right?

Though I gotta say - I was Nuzlocking Fire Red (NOW A FRESH 4-PANEL COMEDY COMIC YAY!) and I actually had to cheat to get to Sevii Islands and Mewtwo post-league. You can't get to Mewtwo until you deal with the Seviis. You can't deal with the Seviis until you have a National Dex and you can't get it until you've captured a specific number of Pokemon. So I had to do a few capture-releases to be able to complete the game.
Edited by eworm, Nov 26 2012, 01:20 PM.
3DS Friend Code: 2852-7554-5400, trainer Victor

Repel Trick 100% - The complete list of all encounters guaranteed with Repel Trick (all games)!

White NatLocke - Catch'em all, use a few and Headcanon Mindblowing [Screenshot OA run] - UNFINISHED

Posted ImagePosted Image

Dana
Member Avatar
i have special eyes
Can't catch it if it's in the 'dex, is my rule. It limits options re: multiple evos, but when you do a run you have to pick how you're going to be restricting your options anyway. Sure, you can lawyer your way into a rare and strong mon, but that doesn't ensure your victory. You still have to work for it.
USELESS TUMBLR

MintBerry
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Pewter Gym
I don't catch dupes or a Pokemon from the same evo line, but I don't follow dupes clause either. If a teammate dies I would rather try something different than to use the same Pokemon again.

Takashi2000
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
I give myself the choice to skip the duplicate or to catch it if it has the Pokeball sign next to it and that the Pokemon of that species which I already have is alive. (Though I never got any dupes before in my runs, except for my old undocumented Black run.)
Takashi2000's Pokemon Black Nuzlocke Team

Takashi2000's Pokemon Ruby Nuzlocke

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Challenge Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply