Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Now isn't this a familiar face?
Nuzlocke Comics
Welcome to Nuzlocke Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit. We're a community based off the popular "Nuzlocke Challenge", a way of playing the Pokemon video game series on a higher level of difficulty. What is it exactly? Join us and find out that, and more!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
My First Nuzlocke is Hard+: Edge's AltEvo - Back On Track; You don't know the difficulty anymore.
Topic Started: Nov 28 2011, 07:26 AM (826 Views)
Quickdraw Crobat
Member Avatar
I'm not even sure.
((Hello!

See the OOC tags there? That's because I'll be writing this with the screencaps. Yes, yes, I know a lot of you do that already, but surely I'm allowed my quirks too, right?

Okay. Long as we're clear on that.

Anyhow!

I'm not going to run Nuzlocke the normal way.

Why am I not going to run Nuzlocke the normal way? Because I don't play the normal way to begin with. In fact, the way I usually play has a lot in common with a Nuzlocke run, although it's a good deal easier on knockouts- I will permabox things that regularly get knocked out. Given that I operate on a sort of endurance scale (minimal use of pokemon centers and rarely to never purchasing recovery items, instead using what's found during the game), that leaves a lot of pokemon out.

Funny enough, it leaves a lot of pokemon that people usually consider less than worthwhile (i.e. things from the UU tier) open, and I use them quite frequently and very happily. A lot of them are excellent endurance-run monsters.

But! IF you're here, you're not hear to hear me talk about that. So without further ado, here are the rules I'll be running by:

Natural Selection (or if you prefer, Wanderer's Nuzlocke) Rules![/spoiler

Yes, I know, long and complex, but a lot of these rules are rules I operate by to begin with. Like I said, I tend to play in a kind of endurance mode, because otherwise it really is too easy for me. I just don't lose to the computer unless we're talking about the Battle Tower or something like that where it cheats with impossible stats and movesets.

And yes, I do mean when I play in the actual carts with my actual handheld game systems.

BUT ANYWAYS.

I'll be running screencaps, dialogue and prose all mishmashed together in that visually interesting way that seems popular here. Please forgive my inconsistent degree of narrative, I'm not used to documenting runs.

So here goes nothing!))

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Oh fuck. Agh. My head. Who the hell are you? Where are we?

"....who am I? Shit, how do I even know English? How do I know this is English?

".....I know it doesn't mean much since I don't seem to have existed until now, but this is the most confused I've ever been."

Posted Image
"Welcome to the world of Pokemon!"

"World of what?"

"Pokemon."

"And that is....?"

"Well, they're animals. Pretty close to all animals, actually. But not quite all of them. And they live in this world with us."
Posted ImagePosted Image

"....sounds important."

"It is! And that's why I'm here to help you."

"Great. Help away."

Posted Image

rustle, rustle.
pat, pat.
smack.
fluffle.

"I.... don't know? How do you tell?"

".....you're a girl. Trust me. Now, what is your name?"

".....I have no fucking clue. C'n I make one up?"

"....may as well."

"Great, I'll pick....."Posted Image
"...yeah. Leslie. That sounds meaningful for some reason."

"Great! Well, Leslie, you are going to have a rival- it's my grandson! You grew up with him, you know."

"I wish I did."

"Well, I'm sure you'll recognize him when I tell you his name. It's....

.....uhm.....

Posted Image

"I think it's pretty clear I don't know. What's with all these squiggly lines, anyway?"

"Nevermind that, I'm sure you'll think of it if you just look at him and let something come to you. Come on, stare at him a moment, what's the first thing that comes to mind?"

".....towel."

Posted Image
"What reminded you anyways?"

"Well, that thing on his arm, that's a towel, isn't it?

"What? That's not his arm, his arm's behind him. That's a fanny pack.

"So that's not-"

"Look, you can talk with Towel about it all you want when you wake up."

"What do you mean when I wake-

Posted Image
"hngdbrfMEGAKABUTERIMON! Dagh."

The first thing I realized was that I had just woken up sitting up. The second thing I realized was not that this mean I'd fallen asleep sitting up. That thought actually wouldn't occur to me for several days. The real second thing I realized was that my head hurt a lot. And the third was that I suddenly remembered everything, which was extremely weird. I didn't have any idea why it was weird, but I knew it was weird.

The fourth thing I realized was my head didn't hurt anymore.

"I don't know what I just took without realizin' it, but I hope they bottle it 'n sell it to people. Whatever it was gets rid of headaches damn fast."

Raising my gaze from the NES controller in my lap, I looked around my room- at least that was what I meant to do. You see, I remembered this room. Mostly.

Posted Image
"What the hell is that on th' wall....?"

Yeah. That wasn't supposed to be there. Come to think of it, I didn't feel like I lived in this room. Just occupied it. Kind of like a hotel room at a hotel you go to on a regular basis. It was familiar, but it wasn't home. I knew where everything was automatically, and that technically I owned it.

It just wasn't mine.

Especially not the corpse on the wall. The simple fact that I was automatically startled and disturbed by it told me that it couldn't possibly be mine. Well, not in that sense. I mean, I was alive, clearly, so yes, it wasn't my body. But it also didn't belong to me. So, naturally, lacking much of a sense of self-preservation, I had to investigate. Lucky I'm not squeamish. Just antsy, apparently.

Posted Image
"...oh, it's a doll."

After thinking about that a moment, I realized that that made it even stranger. Bad enough to have someone's corpse in your bedroom. But a lifesize realistic doll of a teenaged boy that I didn't even really find attractive, whoever he was?

Maybe amnesia had changed me for the better. Then, I realized something.

Posted Image
But not on its feet. The doll's feet were in socks. Like mine. The shoes were in its hands.

So apparently before getting amnesia while playing outdated video games, I had the world's most disturbing shoerack for my only pair of shoes in the world. What the fuck used to be wrong with me?

....and how did I know the games were outdated?

Well, nevermind. My socks were thin and my feet were getting a little uncomfortable. So.....

Posted Image
Can't say I don't take advantage of available resources.

Of course, they were running shoes. Something in my head told me they felt almost as good to wear as boots. No, I don't know how I knew. Anyway, I tried them out a little, holding B and running across my room twice.

Returning to where I started from, I stepped over to my computer, which was still on. Something about the computer seemed off. Perhaps the hotplate-looking thing attached to the tower wasn't something I was used to. Or it could be the way that the text on the monitor was just random letters and squiggles in a jumble that really didn't make any sense. Well, whatever. Flashing a grin at the little Skitty mirror attached to the side of the monitor (cute!), I downloaded and rematerialized my potion on the matter disc. That done, I felt ready, and grabbed my backpack and hat off the chair.

Slinging both on, I headed downstairs.

There was a woman there sitting at the table. My mind immediately coughed up the concept of 'Mom'.... and nothing else. Looking back I should have found it kind of creepy that she was sitting there at the table and not looking at or doing anything at all, but at the time I was just glad to be getting out of the house without some sort of smothering or lecture. I mean what the hell, you wander off towards the tall grass unaccompanied once, and suddenly you're always trying to get out into it.

Posted Image
....not that this wasn't true, I just resented the stereotyping.

Whatever that was. It sounded like it might be useful for writing.

"I hate amnesia. I'm not even sure what I'm thinkin' anymore. Or is that still? Well, whatever. Off into the grass, to see some pokeHURK"

This was not, as one might assume, the sudden materialization of a speech impediment, the result of being punched in the gut, or a statement of derpyness on my part. This was the sound I made when trying to say 'mon' and simultaneously being strangled by an old man with a ridiculously firm grip on the back of my collar.

Posted Image
"You could get hurt!"

Rubbing my throat, I turned to frown at Professor Oak. "Crap, that hurt. Don' do that! I have ears fer Mew's sake."

"Look, that's not the important thing."

"Says you." I grumped, looking half-away from him. "You didn't just get nearly throttled."

"I'm sorry about that," Professor Oak apologized only somewhat sincerely,"But wild pokemon are dangerous! You could get crippled or even killed just wandering around without a trained pokemon for protection. Look, I know, come with me. Since you're so determined to head off into the wilderness away from the safe boundaries of town,

Posted Image
we'll just have to give you a pokemon to protect yourself with."

Grabbing my sleeve this time (thanks for small favors), he proceeded to drag me to Pallet Town's famous pokemon lab, and in through the door. I stumbled a bit on the lintel, but managed to right myself in time to not look like an idiot in front of his grandson, Gary, who was waiting near the back of the lab. The professor hauled me all the way back there before letting go and turning around to face us.

Gary and I exchanged dirty looks for a moment.

Posted Image

"What the heck did you need me for?"

Posted Image

Then Oak turned to me.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
"And when I started out as a trainer, the local ranchers gave me a pokemon of my very own to be my companion and guardian, and travel with me on my journey. It's really not quite the same now that we breed starters en masse and they are handed out by researchers, but nonetheless...."
Posted ImagePosted Image
"Darn it, Gramps! My name's not Towel, it's Gary!"

"I'm sure it is, Towel."

Oooooooo-kay.

I eyed the aging professor for a good half a minute, but he just stood there, humming some cheerful little ditty or other and waiting for me to pick a pokemon.

I turned to Gary. "Throwing in th' Gary already, Towel?"

Posted Image
"And my name still isn't Towel!" He snapped off, suddenly realizing what I'd just done.

With a shrug, I turned to the pokeballs and stepped closer to the table. Each ball was clearly labeled, and so I chose the one with the pokemon I wanted. Sure, Chikorita was pretty, and Squirtle was really cute, but nothing says 'protection from animals' like a burning, pointy lizard.

"Aha! And that means the best pick for me is.....
Posted Image
this one! Bet you're wishing you hadn't been so pushy now, huh? Huh?"

Holding my nose with both hands, I bent back away from Towel, who had been doing his best 'up in your grill' impression. It really didn't work with the almost whiny tone of voice he was using though.

"For the love of Mew, say it, don't spray it! Augh, I can't breathe!"

"Seriously. This guy is cruisin' for a bruisin'."

Briefly startled, I turned to look at the voice. The dang thing talked! The little lizard that was standing on its back legs beside the now empy pokeball and waving its tail in the air freaking talked.

"...uh. Did you... hear that?" I asked Towel and Oak. Both of them looked at me funny.

"There's nothing wrong with the Charmander's cry that I can hear, Leslie." Oak offered.

[strike]Gary[/strike] Towel, on the other hand, sneered and tossed his pokeball down, releasing a little blue turtle with an overly large tail. "I don't think you've actually got what it takes! I don't believe you!
Posted Image

"...what?"

"Legends, you're dumb. A battle! I'm challenging you to a battle with our pokemon!"

At that, a light went on in my head. Pokemon battling! I knew how to do that.

"Alright, fine then! Go, Brent! Let's give that squirtle what-for!"

"You got it, lady!" The burning reptile exclaimed, and charged forth!

Next time on Dragonball Z:

Posted Image
Battle tiems?

((And now, chunk 2!

But first, data screens!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Flaming sharp bodyguard. Because this pokemon is for protectans me, lapcuddlins is incidental.

Intimidate causes me to theorize that the final form is Salamence. I could very easily be wrong.

Clearly, this charmander is statted for physical attacks, which shouldn’t be too hard to angle for.

But enough of that!

Now for some of this!))

Posted Image
”Brent! Start scratching him and don’t stop until he stops fighting back.”

”You’ve got it!”

...and that was about all the direction. Pokemon at this age and level of development really haven’t got much. And do you have any idea how boring and frustrating it gets to try and find twelve different ways to say ‘tackle that’? So my directions were a bit sloppier.

It worked. Not perfectly- the first tackle the Squirtle pulled hit Brent at a bad angle and hurt him pretty badly- but after the second one, he munched a berry and felt perfectly fine again.

No, I don’t know where he hid it.

I’d tell you if you want.

Except that I still don’t want to know.

Spoilsport.

Anyway, while Towelboy was trying to come up with a fourth different and cool way to tell his squirtle to tackle, I was studying Brent. I could tell already he was a bit of a physical powerhouse, his scratches were also knocking the blue turtle off-balance.

Posted Image
I finished my mental notes just as the battle finished. Gary, of course, had to throw in the towel. Being the poor sport he is, he made like it was his idea to leave and washed his hands of the whole thing, turning with what he thought was a cool phrase.

Posted Image
”....I really hope not. That would get very awkward very quickly.

Obvious joke made, I proceeded to ignore the professor and head out from town.

”Soooo.... you were raised on a farm type thing? How’s that work, with the fire on the tails and all?”

”Oh, well, it’s not as hard as you’d think.” The reptilian ‘mon replied as he tottered alongside me. ”It’s kind of like with Ponyta, really. If we pay attention, we can just keep the fire from catching on anything.”

”Thats ridiculously convenient.” I opined as I stepped into the grass outside of town. ”Except for beds, I guess. Probably can’t turn it off while you’re aslAGHTHERESABIRDINMYFACE!”

Posted Image
There was.

Several times, in fact. Also a Snubbull and one of those annoying little Zigzagoon things with the jagged-looking fur. I’m not fond of those things. Probably because they compete with Sentret and Furret, which are one of my favorite pokemon in terms of cuteness.

I know, I know, I had amnesia, how did I know all this. Well, I don’t know. And I sure didn’t then, but not being used to -not- being confused meant that being confused didn’t feel that strange to me, so I just kind of went with it.

Sometimes you just get too relaxed.

Don’t I know it. Anyway, we headed up the road and I quickly ran afoul of a free sample. Which wasn’t that bad a thing, potions are useful, and it let me know I could get more stuff (like pokeballs and potions) in the nearby Viridian city.

Now, before I go any further, I want to clarify. Brent -was- killing the things that attacked me.

Totally messing up their days.

And every day after that for all ever.

But he was a charmander. Short, stubby claws and spitting embers and whatall. It really wasn’t terribly gruesome, the worst it got was those Snubbull because he would have to burn their faces or crack their spines, and I wasn’t really looking closely either.

I don’t think anyone would at first. I mean, yes we’re people, but we’re also animals, and so you humans have a hard time seeing us as people when you haven’t been interacting with us.

Right, that. Someone made a term called ‘monkeysphere’ that had something to do with that. That or they just liked the idea of tying up a bunch of Ambipom and Simis into a ball and rolling it down a hill.

I wouldn’t be totally against that.

Anyways, where was I?

Viridian City.

Right. Viridian. My first time at Viridian was kind of underwhelming. Oh, it was alright at first.

Posted Image
Route leading up to there is pretty nice and all. My goal, of course, was the pokemart. I needed balls.

I think you do just fine without them.

Are you done being four?

For now.

Thanks.

I needed pokeballs

Posted Image
And this looked like the place to get them.

However, no sooner did I enter the building than the shopkeeper called me over to the counter, dumped a package in my hands, and basically turned me into a courier.

And wouldn’t let me say no.

Posted Image
Jerkolius Malerkulum. Common name: Jerkus Malerkus.

I tried to explain that I didn’t -want- to go back to Pallet Town.

Posted Image
He decided I needed to know where the door was.

You were explaining at a pretty high volume.

Anyway, long story short, the way back was a lot safer because there’s no tall grass where the small cliffs are, and those are so fun to jump down.

Well, except when your hair catches fire from the reptile clinging to your head.

I did apologize.

I know, I’m not mad.

Anyway, I get there and-

Posted Image
Well, that makes me feel a little better. It’s not like I was gonna toss the package or something. I’m more responsible than that.

Snrk.

....when I remember to be.

Anyhow, I was all set to turn and leave home for the first time again, when-

Posted Image
Him again.

We traded unfriendly looks out the corners of our eyes every so often.

Posted Image
”These what?”

”They’re self-updating encyclopedias. I call them Pokedex because they’re like a pokemon index. When I was young I wanted to document all the Pokemon in the world so that people would have a good reference source for figuring out what they were doing with their Pokemon. Of course, I never got around to that, so I’m passing it on to you.

”....joy.”

You were really enthusiastic about that one.

I’m not a collector. Period.

Of course, it wasn’t that simple. Apparently in order to get the full info on something, we would have to actually catch it. Something about that sounded off to me, but I wouldn’t realize it for a bit yet.

Anyway, he felt kind of guilty about foisting this off on a couple of kids who couldn’t tolerate each other for the sake of delicious pie, and probably didn’t have more than a couple thousand poke between them (not that we would have shared with each other).

Posted Image
Free and useful. That qualifies for takeable.

Then Towelboy sneered at me.

Posted Image
”I’m gonna go see my sister and get a map so I don’t wander around like an idiot! And I’ll make sure she won’t give you one either!”
Posted Image

Posted Image
So I didn’t.

((OOC MOMENT: Nuzlocke Rules on.
My House Maximum Heals: 3 (One route North, one route South, one free use)
Viridian City Maximum Heals: 4 (One route North, one route South, one route West, one free use, one Gym use)

My House Used/Maximum: 1/3
Viridian Pokemon Center Used/Maximum: 0/4

My first catch came pretty quickly.

Posted Image
It would also turn out to be pretty useless. You don’t know what hard is until you’ve tried to train something in an area where pretty much anything around can kill it, and the things you could protect it with are also at risk from everything around.

It’s kind of like if you were to try and teach a kid to weightlift by loading up a barbell with more weight than you can lift. Self-defeating.

((OOC MOMENT:
Posted ImagePosted Image
SPEAROW WOULD BE MORE YAY IF IT WEREN’T LEVEL 3. DAMMIT.))

Posted Image
Of course, obsessive searching like I was trained to do in my favorite video games (at least, I assume it was. I don’t remember what I actually played, now that I think about it....) meant that I noticed the item hanging out behind the obvious scraggly tree in Viridian.

Posted Image
It wasn’t nailed down, so it was mine.

How moral of you.

Also, Chelsea went into storage because she wasn’t going to do me any good at the time.

Posted Image
Of course, then I looked West of Viridian....

Posted Image
...and got a much more usable (and handsome) bird.

((OOC Moment:
Posted ImagePosted Image
This bird makes me much happier. Mostly because it’s at a trainable level for this early in the game. Also because it was a surprise to see.))

Yeah, I wasn’t happy about that fir- wait, who are you calling handsome?

I said ‘pretty’.

.....uh-huh. Well, anyway. I wasn’t too happy at first, but Leslie always let me stay out of conversations until I wanted in. All the benefits of being alone without having to be alone. Weird, but nice.

Why did I only catch those two so far? Well, there was this law- basically, the government and such were a bit wary about one person getting too much power too fast and doing something stupid like swarming a city with explosive voltorb or something like that. So each trainer is allotted one catch- their first wild pokemon- in each area of the region.

Also something about overfishing and straining the populations or something. It wasn’t very clear. It was, however, very politics.

Anyways, I decided to check North of Viridian City before doing anything else.

And then there was this old man.

Posted Image
”That’s nice.” I said and continued right past him without stopping.

...what? I didn’t know him, he’d been napping -on the street- earlier, and he had a huge pile of portable televisions next to him. And all of them were turned on.

I don’t know if you know this, but portable teevees are crap. Portable computers are fine, but you wouldn’t believe the terrible video quality on portable teevees.

Besides, I don’t watch. A teevee is for plugging your games and VCR and DVD player into.

Or warming your feet.

Anyway, the grass North of Viridian was nice.... sort of.

We found a Roselia. That was pretty cool. By which I mean pretty and cool at the same time.

Posted Image
Catching it was also cool.

Me getting poisoned, on the other hand, was not.

In fact, it was almost fatal. Fortunately, I had only used one potion so far, so I was able to keep Brent going long enough to get back to the pokemon center. That was kind of harrowing.

((OOC MOMENT: Roselia. Whee! A grass type! I like grass.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Looks potentially really useful. Only knowing Poison Sting and Growth so far may make things difficult.))

So after an emergency trip to the Pokemon center, Brent, Pirra and I went to go train a little. Brent got better at setting things on fire.

Posted Image
....like himself, apparently.

I never figured out exactly how I was doing that, I only know it was terribly uncomfortable.

Once Brent was good enough....

Posted Image
Well, it was time to check the edge of the forest for a new teammate. And some idiot standing and staring at something useful in the grass instead of doing something about it.

Posted Image
Didn’t even notice I took it away. Something’s wrong with that guy.

Not much wrong about what happened next, though....

((Next time- what -did- I catch in Viridian Forest?

Is the guy under the tree really comatose?

Plus: Oh, no, a death!

And Gary Towel gets beat like a rug. Maybe even a bathmat.))
Edited by Quickdraw Crobat, Nov 28 2011, 08:44 AM.
AltEvo Blind Endurance Hard+ Nuzlocke- Not abandoned! Working on recovery.

...yeah, that's it so far.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TheEdgeOfForever
Member Avatar
charliemew2 sucks
Wow those are weird rules. The evolution one should not be a trouble though.

Also, nice that you got a Roselia... And good luck!
Current Run: The End of a Metrilogy.

Storyshots
Soul Silver Nuzlocke Run, Platinum Enhanced Nuzlocke Run.
Lost Emerald.

Silly Runs

Alternate Evolutions V1 Nuzlocke Run.
Only Metronome Run Part 2!

Quickdraw Crobat
Member Avatar
I'm not even sure.
((Awesome, I caught the attention of the hack's creator. Makes me :D

Yeah, the rules are a bit unusual, but like I said.... a lot of those are actually rules I play by normally.

Catching Roselia was nice, yes. Kind of would rather have had a Liligant or Teddiursa from that area, but far from anything wrong with Roselia- I just haven't gotten to use a Liligant or Teddiursa before.

Anyways, just a reminder of current status:

Pokemon Captured from:

Pallet -> Viridian
West of Viridian
North of Viridian

Pokecenter uses:
My House (0/3) (Whoops, typo'd in previous post)
Viridian (1/4)

And with no more ado about anything, onwards!))

Moving on from there. So I was in Viridian, pointedly ignoring the guy staring at the spot under the tree where an antidote used to sit (Praise Mew. I understand there are a lot of poisonous things in Viridian Forest, so this was likely to come in handy.) and prepared to step off into the grass a little.

I didn't want to head into the wilderness too deeply, just in case I got cut off by more than a couple pokemon and getting my pokemon and myself killed.

Besides, that spare pokeball wasn't sitting too far off into the grass either.

That's right, I headed in a particular direction- I saw an empty, unused pokeball sitting there next to a bunch of garbage someone had tossed out. Yes, that sounds bizarrely convenient.

I'll explain later. It'll make sense.

More than most of this does, in fact.

Anyways, on the way back to the safe area, finally I ran across something interesting....

Posted Image
...and surprisingly flammable. I wouldn't have expected ectoplasm to burn like that, so it's probably a good thing Brent wasn't all that strong yet.

((OOC Moment:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Pure ghosts are way nicer than the kind originally found in 1st gen. I never understood how those were supposed to be any good- Lick was the only ghost attack whose type mattered, it was physical so they were bad at it, and they were poison-typed as well, so the very thing that Ghost type existed to counter- Psychic type- was just about the most dangerous thing they could face.

Would have made more sense if the bugs had at least been useful and strong bug moves were more findable, but that wasn't the case either.

Dammit, Gamefreak.))

Now that that was dealt with, it was time to go train my new friends- most of whom weren't all that strong yet. So I'd be best off in a very safe place.

Like right next to Pallet town. My house was there so I could rest there with the pokemon, the wild pokemon weren't as strong as in other places, and it was familiar turf.

Posted Image
Sweet bleeding Suicune but the earthquake startled me. Just to make things worse, it was accompanied by strange sounds floating out of the sky- have you ever heard a trumpet with the mute in, like from a jazz or blues band?

Imagine a whole orchestra composed only of those, each ad-libbing something different.

Yeah. Confusing.

And really, really bizarre. Freaked me the heck out, and poor Leticia was trying to hide in Leslie's backpack.

Whatever it was, though, it ended quickly- so I headed home to rest.

Mom finally spoke.... but only to exclaim how tired and worn my pokemon looked and send us up to my room to rest. While we were up there, I figured out what to do with the doll.

You threw it away.

See? Genius.

You didn't even bother thinking about it.

Well, I think fast.

....right.

Posted Image
Mom was actually slightly animate in the morning.

((OOC MOMENT:

My House: 1/3 used.
Viridian Center: 1/4 used.))

I say 'slightly' because she was still sitting in the same chair, and turned only her head to look at me. Frankly I wasn't listening enough to remember exactly what she said. It was a scene that would repeat a few more times.

Scavenging some random food out of the fridge, it was time to head off into the grass just outside the entrance to Pallet town.....

Posted Image
....and then a Snubbull bit off Leticia's head, thorns and all.

I won't lie, I was a bit freaked out.

You screamed, vomited, and then hid in a bush.

....rather freaked out?

Irritina had to peg you with an overripe oran berry to get you out of there.

Okay, completely freaked out.

I'd been talking to her a couple minutes ago. Making a couple jokes, trying to get her to lighten up. Leticia seemed pretty somber for such a pretty little flower pokemon.

Then I sent her out to face a Snubbull, and..... crunch.

It was messy. There was- I don't think Roselia have blood. Thick, blue-green sap was smeared all over the grass, though. Her body was just lying there, headless, and even the roses on the ends of her hands weren't disturbed. Perfectly pristine Roselia body with untouched petals and flowers.... attached to a smearing trail of goo.

Even now I'm kind of ashamed to admit that the sap actually smelled good. It feels almost disrespectful. It should have been fouler than that, smellwise.

It was a nasty, nasty moment.

Irritina, who I'd named such because everything she knew how to do (Psywave, Astonish, Spite, Growl) seemed to be handpicked for aggravation potential (even for her trainer- Psywave is a notoriously unreliable move that really doesn't have any advantages to it and Spite generally does little to nothing) started trying to cheer me up.

Which reminded me of the pokeball I'd found in Viridian.... and the scattered, shredded clothes that had been lying near it.

I had to sit down and take a break for a while. It took me most of the day to work things out for myself to where I wasn't about to have a nervous breakdown over the vicious deadly animals populating the world.

It helped that I had three of them as friends, who could explain things to me.

Really, it's pretty simple. You humans have all of this morality stuff going on that we don't. We're really not sure where it comes from.

But why wouldn't it make sense that someone you were having a conversation with one day might be just a meal the next? You have to try to survive, after all. As far as I can tell, you humans are usually squeamish about these things when it involves someone you can talk to.

Well, we can talk to everyone.

Yeah. All of us. Talk to each other. But a lot of us eat each other. It's just the way it goes. You eat what you can catch and kill. Unless you only eat plants, in which case you eat whatever you happen across, really.

There's no point being upset about it, it's not like you can help it. Meat has to come from somewhere, and a lot of us can't live on beans and such like you humans can.

It didn't really start making sense to me yet, but I started to get the idea when I pulled out the sandwich I'd thrown together to bring from the house for lunch.

Pidgey and swiss on rye was something I kind of took for granted.

After staring at my sandwich for a few minutes (and then finishing it- I was hungry, dammit) I took a couple of hours to really think about it.

And I realized that really, there were two things that were bothering me.

First off, Leticia was my friend. No, not very much my friend yet. We were only getting to know her. But still, she was someone I was starting to care about. I'd gone to the trouble of going out and capturing her, and was fully prepared to train her and spend a lot of time around her.

Some expectations had been shattered by that snubbull, and it had killed someone who was someone to me.

Second, it was frankly rather disgusting. The sound and the motion- especially the way the snubbull had tossed her neck, literally ripping the roselia's stem apart where she stood- was pretty gross. And the way Leticia's sap had splattered all over the place.

So, really, if I stopped to think about it, my reaction was kind of extreme.

I don't know if this was a coping mechanism or what, but it kind of started to make sense to me. A lot more than other humans tend to, anyway.

Something else was clear, though.

We live in a world of powerful, dangerous animals. They kill each other all the time. And our only power is the power to bond with some of them and grow their skill to protect ourselves.

So if we wanted to survive..... well, pokemon trainers were neccessary.

So, I got up and walked over to Leticia's corpse, carefully picked it up and wrapped it in a spare towel, and packed her away.

I spared a glance at the burned, disemboweled, partially stripped snubbull carcass that Brent and Pirra had apparently been chewing on when I wasn't looking... but it didn't seem to mean as much as it could have.

Probably because it reminded me of looking at a plucked ducklett hanging in a butcher's window, or a package of tauros chuck.

And then?

Well, then we trained.

Posted Image
And rested.

((OOC MOMENT:
Poke Center Uses-
My House: 2/3
Viridian: 1/4))

Posted Image
The next morning, we headed up to Viridian city to use the computer in their pokemon center.

Posted Image
I checked on Chelsea...

Posted Image
...and stripped Leticia's corpse of its leaves and blooms before sending what was left of her off to Lavendar town.

I'd already admitted that it didn't make sense to feel the way some people did about death. I was a trainer, death would be hanging over my head constantly in the wilds, and I would be seeing it on as much as a daily basis.

Besides.... for all that it was Leticia's body, she wasn't exactly using it for anything. So I might as well find what use I could. I'd heard about rose-petal tea, for instance, and while usually a roselia farmer waits for petals to be shed, i had two whole blooms just sitting here.

Like I said.... let it not be said that I'm wasteful. Besides, that seemed the greater respect to Leticia. She was willing (begrudgingly) to put her life on the line for me to some extent. What could I do but make every use I could from that?

It wasn't long before Brent was too strong to learn much from fighting what we could find near Pallet. I was also starting to get a bit weighed down- I couldn't skin the Zigzagoon, but I could take their tails. Apparently their jagged fluffiness made them excellent toys for feline pokemon.

So we headed up to the area West of Viridian.

Audio journal of Gareth Towellens Oak, day three.

Do you ever get the feeling you're being watched?

....nevermind.

I was going to head off towards the Pokemon League today. I heard they have some Lugia-damn gnarly tournaments up there, and maybe I could get in. Heck, I had a full team already, almost.

I stopped for a rest against a big chunk of rock... and then I heard something.

Downhill from here, in the tall grass, is Leslie. She's training her stupid lizard. Dang thing won't be able to touch my squirtle now, not when he can put out the reptile's fire.

Stupid girl is persistent, I'll give her that. Geez, look at them go. Scratch this, scratch that..... sheez.

If that thing isn't careful- oh, this is gonna be hilarious. Dumb lizard is gonna smash its head on that rock when that spearow dodges, even if it does hit with its claws. Wait, what's that shine-

Posted Image
....holy crap. That thing just cut through the spearow and took a chunk out of the rock. That's... that's just garbage.

Quir elquir?

...yeah. Yeah, I think we'd better.

I'm gonna continue later, we have some more training to do.

Brent grew a lot back there. So much, that at one point he started to glow...

I got scared.

Really scared.

I started feeling warm, and glowing brightly. It was really amazing, felt like... have you ever been cramped in a small space for a long time, and then gotten to get out and stretch yourself?

It felt like I was starting to leave that space....

And then Leslie was holding onto me. And asking me not to change. She said she wasn't ready yet, she knew that we, as pokemon, changed in our heads as well when we grew, and she was afraid that I'd change too much and not be her friend the same way.

My trainer- my friend, who I existed just to protect. She was scared of this.

So what could I do? I stayed in the box.

Posted Image
I still got stronger.....

...I just had to keep holding back that feeling. Staying in that box.

For her.

Don't think for a moment I don't appreciate the ever-loving fuck out of that, Brent.

rustle

Anyways, we trained all day. and once everyone was tired- even Irritina, and how the Hou-ou does a ghost get tired anyways?- we headed back home.

Posted Image
Second verse, same as the first.

((OOC MOMENT:
Poke Center Uses-
My House: 3/3 used
Viridian Center: 1/4 used))

The whole team was too strong to keep training West of Viridian, though. And the North area before Viridian Forest didn't have anything too terribly tough either, just kind of annoying.

So we headed into the forest.

Posted Image
A surskit nearly ambushed Brent, but Irritina took care of it without too much trouble.

Posted Image
Pirra was already starting to prove she was one of the most amazing birds in the history of ever.

We all try. It was as much luck as anything else for me.

Posted Image
I'd say it was more power and skill than anything else. Once you got going quickly, you just swept across areas of grass and smashed any and everything up with your wings.

It's really a shame there's not much useful about the bodies of those bugs and things.

Training had gone well.

Posted Image
Resting everyone was pretty simple. The pokemon centers have these sort of hotel arrangements attached to them. They're pretty cramped, but then, they're only for trainers who can't afford to rent a room, and don't want to rough it outside.

((OOC MOMENT:
Poke Center Uses-
Viridian Center: 2/4 used))

In the morning, we headed out into the forest again. We had just started when disaster struck.

Posted Image
I just wasn't fast enough to get her back to the pokemon center.

And really, I still want to know how a ghost gets poisoned. I mean, what gives? I thought they were dead already?

This nonsense.

It was probably the cleanest death I've ever seen. No mess, no visible injury, nothing left behind either.

Just a little necklace too small for any human, dropped from a corpse that faded completely out of existence as it died.

I blamed myself. I still do- I could have stopped and bought some antidotes. It was too late though. I know it was sheerest chance that it happened, so it's not totally my fault... but I should have been prepared.

I'd have gone and bought antidotes then, too, but I was nearly out of money from buying pokeballs a couple of days earlier.

Then someone mentioned the Indigo League tournaments and prize money.

I'd have to go check that out. If it wouldn't be too big a risk for the team I was slowly assembling, I could use the money to fund the rest of my trip. It didn't sound like too bad a deal.

Posted Image
So I headed West..... and who should I run into but Towelboy. And boy did he have a chip on his shoulder that day.

Posted Image
"It's not like you'd ever be ready! There's no way you have a team as awesome as mine, and even I couldn't get in! Some stupid restriction where you have to go get these badges and garbage."

Gary sneered at me, looming over me. Stupid tall people.

Posted Image

"No, I just spent three days gettin' here 'cause I walk slow. The hell do you think, you arrogant prick?" I snarled back. I hated dealing with him.

"Sheez, wash your mouth out, Les! I swear, you're such a boy-wannabe. Look, I'll prove you're not great enough, I'll clobber all your pokemon and you won't be able to go!"

We're lucky she didn't try and bash his skull in right there. We'd learn over time- there is no way that is easier to get Leslie to try and kill you, than to threaten her friends.

Holding in my vitriol, though, I opted to take the calmer route.

While cursing incompetently under your breath.

I don't think well when I'm mad, okay?

Anyway, this would be our first real battle with a trainer. I'd already been over this with my team, though...

I didn't want to be responsible for any needless deaths. So against other trainers, we'd try to avoid killing pokemon.

Within reason.

Posted Image
Towelboy's tyrogue, though, was out for blood, and ran facefirst into a cloud of embers.

Probably the stupidest thing I've seen anyone do in battle. That thing surviving the faceful of fire it got would be startling- it was already choking and asphyxiating when he recalled it.

Pirra was able to work with more care, though, and we avoided any other potential fatalities. Fast, strong, and precise- what's not to like about her?

Flatterer.

I call it how I see it.

Posted Image

Towelboy seemed alarmingly unfazed by the injury to his tyrogue.

"You should really get that tyrogue to a pokemon center quick, Towel, or it's gonna throw you in."

"Feh!" He said, nearly spitting in my face and causing me to recoil again. And I was worried for his sake? See if I make that mistake again.

"I've got things to do, and I'm going off to do them! Like get every last one of those gym badges!

Posted Image
Smell yaaaaa!"
He hollered back over his shoulder as he slacked his way down the hill.

That was really the only word to describe the way he moved down the hill- he slacked. Like he had nothing to worry about.

I didn't realize at the time that that was a telling sign- or what sort of changes it would cause the pest.

Grumbling, I turned back towards Viridian City, doing my level best not to actually follow Towelboy. I know, kind of petty, but what else could I do? I certainly didn't relish running into him again.

Fortunately, his team wasn't tough enough to really wear anyone out, so....

Posted Image
off to the forest we went.

((And that's another segment done.

Poke Center Uses-
Viridian Center: 2/4 used

Team of level 20's, and I'm already starting to have spare uses of pokemon centers stored up for later if I need them.

Even given the two deaths already (the sads), this makes me worry a bit. Gary Mothaf'in Oak was a lot harder than usual, though I really didn't need to grind as much for him as I did.... makes me worry about Brock.

Later.

-The Willful Wanderer))

TheEdgeOfForever
Member Avatar
charliemew2 sucks
Wow you're very overleveled xD

The description of Roselia's death made me laugh. And Misdreavus dying was bad ;_;

Storyshots
Lost Emerald.

Silly Runs

Dathus
Member Avatar
Nuzlocke Idol Participant
Holy shit you're definitely overleveled. Impressive, considering you're rationing your PokeCenter/healing use. I've never limited myself to that type of thing, and I'm honestly not sure I even could. :x Some brutal restrictions you've got on yourself, but you know your limits.

Curious to see how this'll develop.
Successful Attempts

Failed Attempts

Current Run(s):
Posted Image
Updated: 12/02/13 Chapter Twenty-Eight: Double Troubled Waters

Badges: 8
Deaths: 8
Mehter

And I have nothing better to do than sit here and F5 this thread for the next 6 hours and drink whiskey.

Posted Image
Come and enjoy the runs! As well, feel free to vote! We always need more voters!

Community Egglocke!

Ardomew
Member Avatar
The Blue & Emerald Warrior
I am glad I found this. Your writing is amazing! You tell the story wonderfully, you've fleshed out the character's personalities well, and your descriptions are great. I especially love the way you described Irritina and Leticia's deaths (tragic, but the latter had its funny moments). I'd love to see more soon. :keke:
Earth & Water
6 Badges, 1 Death
Here's the comic!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Harrison...Iggy...Lenny...Marco...Raditz...Byte

Also check out...

Ardomew's Blue Nuzlocke

3DS: 0301-9998-8204

LeviLamprey
Member Avatar
Revival Herb!

Wow...
This is a very, very intriguing take on the world of Pokemon!
And you picked a fairly challenging hack, too!
I get the feeling that taillow of yours is going to become VERY useful~~~
Watching, watching, all day erryday!
But already 2 deaths? I'm worried! :ohdear:
Amazing avatar by the amazing EmeraldOx.

Stuff

Quickdraw Crobat
Member Avatar
I'm not even sure.
((The overleveling was easy and actually kind of incidental.

Why?

Well, I discovered that in the tall grass north of Viridian, those Roselia? 100-120 xp each. Teddiursa are 80-90 xp. Compared to the 20-30 that the weedle there give and the 30-40 of the other stuff in that patch, that's huge. Even inside Viridian, you're only scraping 60-70 for most things- except Misdreavus, which is also 100-120, but at 2-4 levels higher.

At these levels, 100 is a pretty hefty chunk even all the way up to the mid-teens.

It's just smart grinding.

As for with the pokemon center limits- again, smart grinding. I play by endurance, so basically I tend to train three different overall kinds of pokemon.

Fast, powerful offensive 'mon like Pirra, who smashes things with Wing Attack before they can hit her and is thus low-risk. Especially with high-PP moves like Wing Attack (no side effect, but so what? 30pp is a lot of grinding)

All-around strong things like the bulbasaur line that have enough endurance to offset the way they don't outspeed things often, and moves like Razor Leaf that are fairly strong (partly due to STAB) and have lots of PP so they can grind a long time.

And super-tough things like bastiodon or more specialized walls (claydol, blastoise) where I can see what they can take and what they can't- and what they can take, they can take a lot of.

Between that and relying on moves with good PP (I hate Vine Whip so much), I can do a lot of training with very few center visits, especially since the fights tend to be fast and get faster as the pokemon level up, so it's not really grinding since it doesn't take too long.

This is already really interesting to me, though, since I've never used taillow/swellow before. And it's only gotten moreso since then.))

Posted Image
Viridian Forest.

Frankly, this place has always been kind of eerie. The forest sounds here are a bit creepy, despite the fact that there's never been much to really fear here. Okay, so misdreavus are mischeivous and like to mess with people (and pokemon), but unless you specifically wedge your way as far off the beaten path as you can, you're simply not going to run into anything more dangerous than an occasional kakuna- and they're slow enough you can generally get away before they start trying to hit you with Rock Tomb.

Either way, Brent and Pirra were more than strong enough to handle anything here, and wouldn't learn much from training in the woods anymore- so it was time for a straight drive to the other side.

Posted Image
Or it would have been if not for all the bug catchers. Now, I'm not really fond of these sort of people. I understand that for them it's a hobby, but I don't understand -why-. Why would you go to the trouble and expense of catching and (semi-competently) raising so many pokemon only to have them die?

It just doesn't make sense to do something you don't have any investment in as a person.

Anyway, this didn't promise to be very difficult.

Posted Image
...after all, these things are terrified of fire.

Posted Image
With good reason. I don't know why the trainer was that shocked, he obviously hadn't had time to train his caterpillars much.

Posted Image
And I fail to see what being a trainer has to do with ad-libbing music. But, you know, whatever.

Posted Image
We won handily anyways.

You know we appreciate that, the way you never say it like it was all because of you.

Well, it wasn't ever. I mean, sure, a lot of those bugs were weak enough I could have handled them myself, but I didn't. I'm just being honest.

Posted Image
This kid was annoying, though. Sure I was taller than him, but not by much. I'm just a short person. The idea that I would somehow blow him off for his size is pretty ridiculous.

Posted Image
I was kind of proud of Brent for overcoming an obvious weakness this way, though. Even as well-trained as he was, seeing a surskit could be worrying. Just one Bubble attack in the wrong place, and he'd be at risk of losing his tail-flame... and thus his life.

And I still say you worry too much. I wouldn't let something like that get me down.

There were a few more bug catchers lingering here and there, but nothing to really worry about. Plus, I found a potion and another antidote, which could come in handy.

Posted ImagePosted Image
And so it was on to Pewter City. I had a look around, found some interesting things (like the flower garden) and almost went into the museum- but that costs money, and I really couldn't afford to spare any at the time. I wanted to be absolutely sure I could buy anything I needed to keep myself in pokeballs and other useful items, if it turned out I needed them.

((OOC MOMENT: Pewter City Pokemon Center Calculation:

City: 1
Routes out of town: 2
Gym: 1
Total Pokemon Center Uses Available: 4))

However, while I was looking longingly at the museum (I really appreciate that sort of place, even if I don't spend as much time looking at any one thing as most people do), I noticed there was a big patch of tall grass with some noise coming out of it atop a nearby bluff.

And I knew what that meant- a chance to get a new teammate.

So Brent, Pirra and I charged in- and immediately got challenged.

Hey, you looked strong- an' I wuz right.

You bet your ass we're strong.

I was kinda upset wit' how easily Brent flattened me out an' rolled me up.

Hey, you got stronger pretty damn quick. And you saved our butts later on, so you can't say you didn't.

Heh- it's true.

((OOC MOMENT:
There are very few pokemon that evolve by trading which I am normally willing to use- because of how long I played without anyone to trade with. The macho evolution chain is definitely not one of them. I really don't see any reason to train a pokemon if I can't get it to its full potential- and that includes completely evolving it. Just the fact that I caught Ben already made it pretty remarkable- and I knew I would need him for the Gym. If Brock was buffed up like Gary had been, I couldn't get past him with a charmander like I was used to doing back when I played Blue normally- and probably not even with a Charmeleon.))

Anyway, despite that Brent was much stronger than Ben, Ben was a lot stronger than most of the wild pokemon we'd seen so far- which meant that that patch of grass would be an excellent place to train in preparation for the Pewter Gym. I'd heard that Brock was a big fan of Rock-types, and despite knowing Metal Claw, Brent was just not a good pokemon to use against them. And Pirra was vulnerable too- so I'd have to bring Ben at least up to speed, because he'd be pretty much carrying us through the Gym.

Just to make sure first, though, I checked around the rest of town- and found one useful thing.

Posted Image
Anything that would give me more shots at catching the few pokemon I would be allowed would give me massive benefits. So I was happy to find that.

Posted ImagePosted Image
I trained the team for two whole days to prepare for the Gym. Everyone- Ben especially- was pretty worn out by the end of each day, but I could tell the whole team was getting stronger.

((OOC MOMENT:
Center Uses-
Pewter City: 2/4 used))

Posted Image
We made one last check to be sure everyone was in prime condition before heading to the gym.

I stopped to look at the sign- but before I could actually read it, I noticed that suddenly, sitting on top it where there hadn't been anything before, there were three bottles of water.

That was more than a little freaky. Not sure I wasn't hallucinating them, I pulled my folding umbrella out of my backpack and poked one. It fell off the sign and hit the ground with that sloshing plasticky noise those bottles make.

But I was sure it hadn't been there earlier.

You really shoulda taken them.

I don't know. I'm not inclined to trust something that isn't sure if it's there or not.

Anyway, we headed into the gym. There was a trainer there who gave Brent a hard time- but Metal Claw cleared that up.

I really am sorry about cutting that guy's pokemon in half, but they both were trying to crush me, so I'm not very sorry.

Then there was Brock.

"I'll show you my rock-hard determination! All my rock-hard pokemon have gone through tough training to ensure that they're rock-hard and ready for anything! Even if your pokemon are rock-hard, the rock-hard stability of mine will give me a rock-hard win! The toughness of my pokemon makes-"

"AGH MEW! I GET IT ALREADY! WOULD YOU STOP SAYING THAT PHRASE!" I shouted in his face. Honestly, the guy looked like the strong-silent type but he just would not shut up about this rock-hard thing. He finally stopped gesticulating with his hands. "I get it already!" I continued- anything to get him to stop rambling. "Your name is Brock and you lead the Pewter Gym of Rock type pokemon with your Rock type pokemon and it's a pun because your name has 'rock' in it! I don't need to hear about it!"

Posted Image

....and then he raised his hands and started a sandstorm.

I swear, that guy is an absolute prick. If I'd been relying on a grass-type or water-type, I'd have been pretty thoroughly screwed by that move. Even without that, it was dangerous- and not just to my pokemon. I mean, how many people do you know of who run into a gym ready to get sandblasted?

Pirre probably saved me some heavy facial scarring by perching on my shoulder and spreading her wings. It probably sucked mightily getting sand in her feathers like that, but that was far less permanent than what could have happened.

I proceeded to call Brock more than a few nasty names...

Posted Image
...while Ben went to town. Even the way Brock's Aron made some sort of oddball leaping attack (and how the fuck did he teach it that kind of a move anyway?), Ben sucked it up and... well, made like it was clobberin' time.

Then Brock whipped out his Nosepass.

That thing was fucking terrifying. Even Ben was only chipping away at it.

Posted Image
I had to heal him- and then swap him out. I wasn't expecting Brent or Pirra to K.O. the thing, and it was a bit of a risk, but at least they could soften it up a little. Brent went first, but he only got one shot in with Metal Claw before I had to recall him or risk him getting crushed.

I don't know how he did it, but Brock trained that thing to be super-hard. I tried to drag my claws through it and they got stuck less than an inch in. Thing was practically made of crystal.

Posted Image
Even my Wing Attack wasn't doing much to it, though I got two good hits in before Leslie had to call me back and send Ben out again.

Fortunately, Ben had learned Seismic Toss- a move that depends on momentum and basically body-dropping the opponent, so the Nosepass' hardness hurt it as much as it helped. That finally knocked it out- but Ben was barely standing afterwards.

Brock sent out his Onix, and Ben used the Low Kick technique to hit it pretty hard, sending it crashing to the ground...

Posted Image
But it got back up and between its attack and the sandstorm still going on, Ben almost bit the dust....

"Ben!" I called out, barely able to see the tough machop through the flying grit. Pirra shuddered where she was keeping the sand out of my eyes again, and used her beak to gently scrape at some of the sand ground into my face. It burned, but I couldn't wince- I had to keep all my focus on what was going on.

The onix loomed high overhead in the large gym, and I couldn't see or hear Brock at all across the battling arena. It's just as well, if I could I might have been busy trying to maim him something awful.

I thought I could almost see Ben turn to me, clutching his side where Onix had rammed into him, and toss me a thumbs-up with his free hand. The howling wind made it impossible for me to hear if he'd said anything, and I wasn't too sure he could hear me either with the indoor storm going.

I had to try, though.

"BEN!!! KNOCK IT DOWN AGAIN WITH A LOW KICK!!!!" I shouted, doing my best to make myself heard through the wind and grit.

It kind of looked like he nodded at me- and then he vanished into the sandstorm.

The immense shadow of Brock's onix rose up, tail reaching out- and then four huge boulders were sailing through the air. Shit! I realized, That thing is fast even with how big it is!

The ground shook for a moment with the impacts of the rocks, and I cringed. I could feel tears welling up- would I fail my first attempt to earn a badge?

For a few moments the sandstorm was the only sound....

-and then, suddenly, the onix howled out, its base slipping out from under it, and the giant serpent smashed down onto the floor with a motion that doubtless caused it whiplash, if not a concussion.

Finally, the sand settled back to the ground. There stood Ben, right next to an inordinately massive footprint in one of the larger boulders that composed the Onix.

The Machop coughed, then grinned as he limped over to me.

Posted Image
"He made you cry." He rasped out, then coughed up a small wad of bloody sand, spitting it to one side. "What else could I do?"

I didn't even really notice Brock coming over, I just nodded to Ben and hugged him- gently. He'd been blasted with a lot of sand too, even if his skin was tougher than mine.

Posted Image
The badge landed in Brent's hand, not mine- I was too busy carefully picking Ben up. He was heavy- but not too heavy for me. I've always been a bit strong for being such a shorty.

Posted Image
Brock told Brent. "It should come in handy. You've got a hell of a team to be on, you know that?"

"Yeah. Yeah I do."

Brock was acting much different- far more solemn and a lot more like he looked like he ought to act.

Posted Image
I looked my team over once.....

Posted Image
...and brought them to the Pokemon Center.

((OOC MOMENT:
Center Uses-

Pewter City: 3/4 used))

We didn't do any training for the rest of that day, instead taking a day off. We still didn't go to the museum, though- instead we went and had a picnic in the flower-field, with rose tea and sandwiches. Well, and a couple of caterpie for Pirra.

It was kind of nice, really. Just us in the quiet. I'm pretty sure I dozed off at one point, but when I woke up, Ben was still sitting there, watching Brent chase Pirra around in the flowers.

I thought I heard him mumble something about giving Brent a chance too, but it wasn't very clear and I really didn't want to think about it much at the time.

((There's segment 4.

Center Uses-
Pewter City: 3/4 used

Badges:1

Deaths:2

Team Levels:
Pirra lv 21
Brent (still a charmander) lv 22
Ben lv 23

I appreciate all the comments!

<3 your 'mon and respect them too!

-The Willful Wanderer))
Edited by Quickdraw Crobat, Dec 3 2011, 12:03 AM.

LeviLamprey
Member Avatar
Revival Herb!

Holy wow that was close.
FEAR Edge's Gyms, WW.
FEAR them.
Nice writing as usual~

Stuff

TheEdgeOfForever
Member Avatar
charliemew2 sucks
Why are you avoiding evolutions? :v:

By the way, even if this is blind, I must tell you there are no trade evolutions.

Storyshots
Lost Emerald.

Silly Runs

Quickdraw Crobat
Member Avatar
I'm not even sure.
((Edge- I was kind of scouting for moves. From the way Brent learned nothing at all from level 18-25, I gather that delaying evolution actually prevents learning moves in this hack, which I hadn't realized beforehand. I was hoping for Fire Fang, which in 4th and 5th gen is a level 25 attack for Charmander, IIRC. Not that it matters much, because this game is pre-physical/special split.

And you already said that, sir. I brought it up to explain why I hadn't previously used the Macho line- who are one of the few evolutionary lines of the Fighting type that are not part-psychic but still have quite good special defense.

Anyway, back on track- I had a good couple hundred more screenshots already, but being too sick to even keep water down kind of prevents writing and posting.

Le sigh.

Anyways, onwards!))

The next day, I set out with the team towards the East of Pewter City. We were all in much higher spirits after having handled Brock, even if it was with some difficulty. There were a number of trainers in this area, lurking around on the hillside, but really, after facing down Brock, none of the ones that were easily reached even seemed significant. The gym leader had simply been so much tougher.

It was as we were about to reach the first patch of tall grass on the way to Mount Moon that the realization struck me.

"Aerodactyl shit!" I exclaimed, slamming one fist into the other palm- and then separating my hands to slap one palm to my forehead. "I just got it!"

Blinking, Ben and Brent turned towards me, though for once, it was Pirre who asked the question.

"What is it, and why is it such a big deal?" The bird's inquiry was echoed by the way both Brent and Ben nodded.

"It's just- Professor Oak's goal! He wanted to record detailed information on all the pokemon in the world with these pokedex thingies." I waved the device around as I explained- I hadn't even opened the thing, but it was only now I knew why. "And Gary said he'd make sure to get it all done first."

"Right, an' that means a lotta work for him, right?" Ben offered.

"No, it's a fool's errand!" I exclaimed, and simply tossed the device off into the impassable rocks. "We're only allowed to catch one pokemon per route. Unless he were to catch something unevolved in each and every area in all of Kanto, and then train them all to high levels, and then trade them away for young, unevolved versions of other things, and then repeat the process at least once more, there's no way he'll ever have had at least one pokemon of each species! He's on a wild goose chase, and his grandfather sent him on it knowingly!"

Silence reigned after that for almost half an hour.

I'm pretty sure none of us was sure whether we should be laughing or groaning over it. We still couldn't figure out why the old man had set that sort of goal out- there's no way he couldn't have known how impossible it would be to accomplish.

And if it wasn't for Pirre's shaking off the stunning realization, we'd have been lost in battle with one of the random trainers skulking around before we could snap out of it.

Posted Image
...not that it didn't come without its own rewards for her. I'm still not sure whether or not I would have let her evolve at the time if I was completely with it. I was still feeling really uncertain about my teammates evolving and somehow having that end our friendship.

Not that you had anything to worry about. I mean, really.

I was still confused and worried, Brent, I apologized for that a long time ago.

Yeah, I know.

At any rate, the new route meant new grass- and that meant a new team member.....

Posted ImagePosted Image
...who quickly gained in power when we headed back to Pewter for some training.

Posted Image
After a short rest....

((OOC MOMENT:
Center Uses-

Pewter City: 4/4 used

Starting to lose some efficiency here, which causes me to worry...))

...a bit of practice against some of the harder-to-reach trainers on the hillside...

Posted Image
(seriously, these trainers are out of it in the head. Demanding people wear shorts, lurking between cliffs...)

Posted ImagePosted Image
...and a bit more practice in Pewter itself, I figured we were close enough to ready to head towards Mount Moon.

Posted Image
This battle looked like Bahz might be able to handle it....

Posted Image
But that togepi was using metronome. And that just didn't feel safe.

Posted Image
Fortunately, Ben is very tough and so it wasnt' too much of a risk.

Posted Image
We were all getting a bit tired of traveling (though not much strenuous training had happened) by the time we were heading up the foothills....

Posted Image
So this resting spot was a Mewsend.

((OOC MOMENT:

Center Uses-

Mount Moon: Calculating....

Pokemon Center= x1
Mid-route= x1

Mount Moon: 0/2 used.))

With that reassurance, we headed right back down the hill to the nearest patch of grass for some good old practice- Bahz was still using only Peck and Night Shade for offensive techniques, and neither was terribly good- Night Shade wore him out too quickly, and Peck- well, Natu just aren't very good at physical combat.

Posted ImagePosted Image
It got risky now and then....

Posted Image
...for more than one reason.

Posted Image
But with some time and effort, Bahz finally learned something that would actually put his talents to use.

Posted Image
After he wore himself out with that, we headed back to the pokemon center- but there was a man in the corner with a curious sign hanging over his head.

Posted Image
.....and a bloody expensive one at that. There was no way we would have had the money for that offer.

Posted Image
So we had to refuse the chance at a very interesting new teammate.

Posted Image
But we did get our rest.

((OOC MOMENT:
Center Uses-

Mount Moon: 1/2 used))

Refreshed, we headed into Mount Moon- though Brent was starting to frown at me now and then. Now I know he was a bit upset I hadn't been letting him evolve while Pirra had gone ahead- but at the time, I really hadn't realized it.

I'll always be sorry for that- I would never mean to leave one of the team dragging behind or becoming deadweight.

Anyways....

Posted Image
Mount Moon.

Many, many people have hated Mount Moon. Mostly because of zubat. I can kind of understand- zubat are very tough pokemon, and when they're young, most of what they do is screech and pester. But if you've ever seen an older one- or a golbat or crobat- especially if it's been trained... well, you don't really need me to explain it.

Posted Image
So this was pleasing.

Posted Image
Realizing that I'd forgotten to restock, however..... was less so. It honestly had me pretty worried- there was no way I'd be willing to pass up a chance to train a zubat, but regular pokeballs were starting to get unreliable with the strength of the pokemon I was encountering.

Posted Image
Fortunately, as it turned out, my worries were for naught, but it was a tense couple of minutes.

((OOC MOMENT: Yay, a zubat!
Posted ImagePosted Image
I love these things. And I super-love crobat. Hate the wings off of golbat, though. Thing looks ugly as all hell. I was so disappointed in the original carts when I went to the trouble of training the insanely frustrating zubat only to come out with something derpier than I would ever have expected. Second gen cheered me right up with crobat, though.
<3<3 crobat <3<3))

Posted Image
I... have to admit, I don't recall what poisoned Brent. I'm not really ashamed of that- mostly because it was a tense moment realizing I had just used up my last antidote. Still, the Mount Moon pokemon center was right nearby, and nothing -within- Mount Moon was venomous... so I felt I'd be alright.

Posted Image
Besides, I needed to train Venn, and he was completely immune to all known toxins....

Posted Image
....but not to teeth.

Posted Image
Sending Venn off to the Lavender Mortuary Service was pretty depressing- I hadn't even gotten to know him. He didn't talk much, but I never knew why.

But- you know.

Got ta keep on keepin' on.

Yep.

First, though- a little safety insurance. Mount Moon was a cave, and a long enough one that I didn't know or know of anyone on the other side- so I felt a precaution was in order.

Posted Image
I'm really not sure how Escape Ropes work. Supposedly it's scientific- the same sorts of principles behind the pokemon transfer systems, the pokeballs themselves, even the research on pokemon.

Why that makes a piece of thin rope you snap in two able to transport you to the exit of any cave is completely beyond me to explain.

Posted Image
This guy also is, because I'm pretty clearly not a man. I wasn't sure whether to feel insulted or laugh.

I'd been doing a lot of that lately.

Anyways, after Bahz handily laid his pokemon flat, he had this to say-

Posted Image
And I said this:

Oh fuck.

Team Rocket is pretty notorious. Now, I wasn't worried about any one Rocket. Part of being notorious is being well-known, and it was well-known that the members of Team Rocket were generally pretty derp.

Posted Image
Point in case. Either he was trying to scare me, in which case a clear announcement like that is a bad idea, or he didn't want to be sussed out- in which case a clear announcement like that is a bad idea.

I don't even want to think about what it would mean if he was trying to impress you by saying that.

...thanks a lot, Brent. I really needed that mental image.

Sorry.

Anyway, Ben chopped pretty much his whole team in two. Ben is fucking awesome.

Posted Image
Before you even started, rocketman.

So, along we went, breaking rocks and flattening bats.... and then Bahz got distracted.

Posted Image
....and as anyone who's ever fought will tell you, distraction can easily be fatal.

There wasn't much left of him to clean up after the rocks smeared him on the floor.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Or of the geodude after Ben ground him into rock dust. ((Not seen- Used Revenge/Critical Hit.))

Posted ImagePosted Image
Pirra got us past the next few trainers and obstacles....

Posted Image
...and learned a move that was unfortunately far more useless than it sounded. Pirra is far, far better at frontal assault than being a harrier.

But it wouldn't be long before she got more chances to do that... because Team Rocket....

Posted Image
....was on the loose.

((And segment 5.

Center Uses-
Mount Moon: 1/2 used

Badges:1

Deaths:4 (Arceus, why?)

Team Levels:
Pirra lv 25
Ben lv 24
Brent lv 24

Dammit, my zubat....

And I've never gotten to train a natu/xatu either, and I've always wanted to so bad.....

Sigh.

-The Willful Wanderer))
Edited by Quickdraw Crobat, Dec 3 2011, 01:08 AM.

Quickdraw Crobat
Member Avatar
I'm not even sure.
((What, no replies at all?

Aww.))

So- with Pirra now packing an interesting but basically useless move in her feathers, we found ourselves dealing with lower Mount Moon- which was mostly full of two things: zubat, and Rockets.

Posted Image
Unfortunately, they were the black-clad criminal type of Rocket, not the sometimes-hilarious flying machine that belches fire out its butt constantly kind.

Of course, I'm a curious sort, so before I went anywhere near the Rocket- and if you've met one Rocket, you've met most of them- I had to go find out what was up on the pedestal.

Posted Image
Nothing all too useful for now, but I guess it might come in handy later.

The Rocket hadn't moved an inch, just standing there and watching me, so I thought maybe I could come down and head back to the ladder without being interrupted.

Posted Image
Silly Leslie. Why would a Rocket pass up an opportunity to show off his Evil Card?

I know, I know. But I can hope, right? I mean, it wasn't like there was anything here in this cave- a little water, the TM I'd already picked up, a rock over there with a bottle sitting on it.... Frankly, this branch of the cave just wasn't that interesting and I wasn't inclined to stick around.

Posted Image
Not that the Rocket seemed to believe this.

Or in secrecy. Sometimes I'm really surprised when I think about how obvious that gang is, and how the police never seem to catch them.

...now that you mention it, that is pretty weird. I wonder if the Kanto police force is just terribly, terribly incompetent?

Think it's something in the water around there?

Well, but -I'm- not that stupid.

Usually.

Beeeeeeen, that's mean!

Unfort'nately, it's also true. True o' most people, really.

....aaaanyway. The Rocket.

Wasn't even remotely a match for Pirra and Ben acting as a team. Ben was getting pretty tired by this point, though, and it didn't look like we'd have to stick around for training too much, the team wasn't learning anything from beating on the wild pokemon that attacked.

Posted Image
So we went and had a rest.

((OOC Moment:
Center Uses-

Mount Moon: 2/2 used))

Posted Image
...and I sent the feathers I managed to recover on to the Lavender Mortuary Service. That was already four graves I was going to be looking at whenever I traveled to Lavender.

I suppose some people would say I should feel guilty about that, but I don't really understand why. I'm certainly unhappy about it- their deaths were all really unpleasant and I definitely didn't want them to die.

But.... Pokemon fight and die all the time. It's part of life- to eat, you need to kill something, even if it's a non-Pokemon plant. Unless, you know, you are a plant. And even then you're pretty much eating what something else killed, even if it's time or weather that killed it. It's how we get dirt, you know?

And I really haven't got any way of knowing if they were going to die soon anyway or not, so I can't say I shortened their lives either.

So... yeah. I felt sad, I still do. But not guilty. That just wouldn't make any sense.

Because everything that you do is logical.

...well, okay, yeah, that's true. In fact, that night at the pokemon center, Brent brought exactly such a thing up. I was sitting up in bed with a book after dinner, intending to get some reading done and then conk out eventually, when Brent clambered up on the bed, and sat on my legs, staring at me. He didn't say anything to me, though.

"...Uhm...." I murmured, turning my head a bit this way and that, but his eyes remained locked on mine.

"Is... there something on my face?"

Brent shook his head, and kept staring at me.

"Do... you need-"

"Why don't I get to evolve?" He interrupted, leaving me halted mid-sentence for a few moments.

"I, uh, what?" I managed to get out once my gears started turning again.

"You won't let me evolve. I'd get stronger, and I'd be able to do more... so why can't I?" He complained. I won't say he was whining, because he wasn't- he was actually asking very calmly.

"I... but, you'll change! I mean, like in your head."

"So did Pirra, and nothing went wrong."

I looked over at the pokeball on the nearby dresser containing the snoozing swellow. That.... was true. Pirra had become more confident, perhaps braver, but she was still quiet and reticent and still glad to enjoy some peace when we traveled, where it could be found.

"....I heard that charmeleon are really belligerent. Can be tough to handle. I don't want to be fighting you in any way, Brent. You're my Starter, you're supposed to be my team captain and support me while I support you." I chewed on the corner of my lip a little, one of those habits I picked up so I could stop chewing my nails ages ago.

"We're arguing now. Do you think I don't support you now?"

That... he had me there. That was true, and I couldn't deny truth without looking kinda stupid.

I don't have a lot of pride, but I can at least say I'm probably not outright stupid. And I don't ever want to be. Stupid causes pain and sometimes death.

I like living. I expect most people, Pokemon included, do.

I still had my misgivings... but really. Brent had stood by me this long, what would I be saying about him if I didn't trust his desire to be stronger to help out? What would I be saying about me?

For all that I was afraid of losing my friend when he evolved, I could still lose him by not letting him. And that was a more sure thing.

"A... alright. I'm sorry, Brent. I'm not very brave, am I?"

The charmander shrugged at me. "I don't know. I think you can be."

Not the most rousing vote of confidence, but then, we'd only been traveling together for, what, a week and a half? Two weeks? I didn't feel it would be right to expect his unconditional support already.

Not that you didn't have it. I think I was just picking up some of your weird brand of realism already.

Something like that.

The next day, we headed right back into Mount Moon, first thing in the morning. This helped us avoid most of the trainers that liked to lurk in the area, apparently not even the local hikers were morning people.

Of course, that didn't mean clear sailing all the way through the mountain by any means. The Rockets, after all, were still here. At first it wasn't too challenging. Brent was burning little holes through every trainer we faced, on an absolute roll in his eagerness to finally evolve.

Posted Image
In their eagerness to get us out of the cave, the Rockets were all too happy to oblige his, shall we say, burning desire for battle.

...ouch.

Posted Image
Then came the moment of truth.

"....so, how do you feel?" I asked nervously as the glow settled and Brent stretched his now longer limbs, checking his sharper, more serious teeth.

"A lot less cramped, I'll tell you what." The charmeleon replied, rolling his shoulders experimentally. "....Houou, I'm not that much shorter than you right now, am I? No wonder I felt like I needed a stretch."

This was kind of unexpected. He wasn't acting more aggressive at all, I thought- then had my breath forcibly expelled as he hugged me with an iron grip.

"Thanks."

...okay, so maybe he was more aggressive, just in the emotional sense rather than the physical sense? It seemed like it.

"Alright!" He turned and started marching off down the length of the cave. "Let's go beat these mooks down!"

We rushed along after.

It wasn't too long before the torchlike light given off by Brent's tail was augmented by a lot more ambient natural light- it seemed we were finally nearing the exit of the cave.

Posted ImagePosted Image
And, apparently, some kind of explanation what the Rockets were doing.

I was really confused, though, the fossils in Mount Moon were free for the taking when they could be found. It was a basic policy in the trainer regions. Why would they need to compete so hard about it?

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
This fight was more difficult than I'd been expecting, though. Brent was poisoned by the croagunk's venomous spikes, and that Houndour was really insistent on battling with him. This was bad- the more a pokemon moves around, the easier it is for poison to work into the system and do more harm. We were just lucky to be near the exit, and with Brent in good health, if I could keep him from having to fight we'd stand a very good shot of making it to Cerulean in time to cure him.

I was still very worried. To make sure he kept going, I sprayed his wounds with my last potion, and also offered him a special treat I'd picked up along the way- a Rare Candy™.

I don't know about Akown, the company that makes Rare Candy™, or what they put in them, but I do know this- whatever it is in those that makes them a delicious dessert for us humans, it outright bolsters a Pokemon's entire system, just flat-out making them stronger in every way. They have to be used carefully, because a strong pokemon with no training won't know how to apply their strength properly, but they're very useful in the right situation, as an aid to training.

With Brent as healthy as I could get him, and nowhere to turn back to in order to get him healed, I felt alright with making a quick side-diversion- I'd seen something glinting on a rock nearby.

Posted Image
It turned out to be a rare Moon Stone, and I counted myself lucky for the Scavenging Rule.

I ran on, dead-set on making it to Cerulean in record time...

Posted Image
-when some jerk grabbed my arm.

Posted Image
"I don't want your fossils, I just need to go over there-"

"NO! Those fossils are MINE!!"

Posted Image
"Oh for fuck's sake! I don't have time for this! Pirra! Hard and fast!"

"Right!"

Posted Image
"...poison types. It figures. Give it your all, Pirra, we can't afford for you to be poisoned too!"

Posted Image
This didn't help the nutcase worth speaking of.

Posted ImagePosted Image
This, on the other hand was getting dangerous, and I was feeling uncomfortably prophetic.

That or the guy had ears on his head.

I really, really wished Ben could have come in for the fight, but I'm no idiot- he'd never have managed to touch that Sableye.

Posted Image
And that was just adding insult to injury.

I'm not sure exactly what I shouted at Pirra, but she tried her new move.

Posted Image
It worked like throwing a bucket of water on a bonfire. Not remotely well enough. And Pirra was looking sicker and sicker all the while.

Posted Image
I -almost- regret the death of that kadabra, but it was him or Pirra- and I still wasn't sure she would make it. Now I regretted using the potion on Brent, he was in much better shape than Pirra right then and she was almost sure to be dead by the time we reached Cerulean.

I immediately regretted that thought as well, and then gave up regretting, because I could choose to be at risk of losing Brent or Pirra, and neither one of those was a good choice.

Frankly, I couldn't have cared less about the fossils if they'd been bags of garbage. I just ran forwards, grabbed the one in front of me, and dashed for the exit. I had to get to Cerulean before Pirra could get too much worse.

We were almost at the ladder when I spotted it, sitting there on the floor almost as if it were waiting to mock me- but the joke was on it.

Posted Image
We'd found the Antidote before Pirra could pass out.

I cannot possibly express just how relieved I was.

Brent was looking a bit ill from his own dose of venom, but reassured me that he'd be fine if we took it a bit slower and more carefully.

Posted ImagePosted Image
...which was actually pretty cool because it gave him a chance to make a friend and learn a new trick. Those two guys were kind of strange, but pretty good-natured, not even actually fighting each other, just standing there in piles of shattered pottery tile, showing off their might to each other.

And so-

Posted Image
Onward to Cerulean City we went.

Posted Image
And a good night's rest.

((OOC MOMENT:
Center Uses-

Mount Moon: 2/2 used
Cerulean City: Calculating-

Center: +1
City: +1
Gym: +1
Four Routes Leaving City: +4

Cerulean City: 1/7 used))

A new city meant new areas- one was obvious, I'd passed it on the way in.

Posted Image
So, what could I find on the path back towards Mount Moon?

Posted ImagePosted Image
...I could find out that Pirra was a little too strong for most of the pokemon in the area, that's what.

I was a little bummed, I've always kind of liked Electrike, but on the other hand, they tended to be kind of vicious in the wild, and I had no guarantees, so I guess I wasn't too upset.

There was also a large patch of tall grass in a backyard, and the house's owner actually had a standing invitation posted next to his front door, permitting trainers to pass through into his backyard to catch wild pokemon.

It was a very nice show of support, I suspected the man had been- or possibly still was- a trainer, he clearly understood that trainers were pretty important to the continued existence of human civilization.

I may explain that later, but just believe me, the institute of pokemon trainers as a whole is thoroughly vital.

Posted ImagePosted Image
This made me very happy. Snubbull are known for being very gentle to anyone not threatening their trainer or owner, and are extremely loyal pokemon. Similarly, their evolved form granbull has the same traits- something you really want in something with about the same power and mobility as a kingler and far less environmental limitations.

((OOC MOMENT:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Again- a pokemon I've never gotten to train, but have always wanted to. Snubbull is cute and hilariously silly, granbull looks really cool, I like bulldogs a lot besides, and it's just a useful pokemon in general. Probably one of my three most favorite pure-Normal pokemon.))

Catching done for the moment, it was time to train our new teammate.

A quick rest, and an application of a TM later, Edmund was ready to go!

((OOC MOMENT:
Center Uses-

Cerulean City: 2/7 used))

Posted Image

.....at least, I thought so.

Posted Image
This was probably the worst combination of sad and aggravating yet. I'd picked up a box of treats for canine pokemon that was now useless, taught Edmund a new trick, and been all kinds of ready to have a friendly, powerful dog by my side.... and just like that, the chance was ripped right away from me.

I spent a long time just sitting and watching the water that day. I almost seemed cursed. By all rights, I should have had a complete team of six by now, and at least one backup teammate ready for battle.

Instead, I had sent five corpses to Lavender and had a whopping three pokemon on my team. I was starting to feel like I was turning into a failure.

She wuz pretty lackluster th' rest of th' day, even while we were trainin'. Meant that we got pushed pretty hard, but only for a few fights.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Managed to learn a few things anyway, though, an' then it was my turn t' do some growin'.

That one kind of startled me. It did manage to break my funk, though. I knew there was more grass across Moon River, which meant that if I was going to make up for my failings so far, I would have to bring the team over there.

And damn it, that was just what I was going to do.

((Arceus damn it, I just can't seem to keep a new teammate alive at this point in the run.

On the upside, I discovered this area's Roselia- where most of the pokemon just outside Cerulean are worth about 200 exp, the tangela there run from 350 to 440 exp, and all three of my teammates could oneshot them by this point. Since they were all faster than the tangela... well, getting levels got a lot easier. I didn't push too far, just to about 28. I was lucky to remember Machoke's evolution level, considering I've never used the line before this.

I'm really really annoyed about that Snubbull. One of these days, I -will- train one and it will be -amazing-.

Ah well.

That's the post for now, happy Nuzlocking, and remember-

Each time you give up on a Nuzlocke, Lugia kills a Skitty.

Literally, it's getting kind of gross in his lair. Cut it out, would you?

-The Willful Wanderer))

LeviLamprey
Member Avatar
Revival Herb!

AHUE
SO MUCH DEATH
Everywhere...
;n;
My condolences...
And I'm sure that Cerulean's multiple Center uses will come in handy, since VIridian is blocked off for now...

Stuff

Quickdraw Crobat
Member Avatar
I'm not even sure.
((Yeah, the deaths were getting pretty hard on me. It's really important in a Nuzlocke to have a full team as early and as long as you can, otherwise you can't spread out the strain of battles well enough for -anyone- to survive.

And no Roselia or Snubbull, either..... not even a Zubat.

T__T

Fortunately, this is where things start to get a little better....))

It took me a little while to get past my.... I'd say combined grief and aggravation from what happened with Edmund. But I realized that if we were going to get a new teammate and do anything at all to train them up before trying at the gym here, we would need to head across the river pretty quickly.

So, perhaps a bit grimly, I went to the bridge....

Posted ImagePosted Image
"I thought you were my rival or something! C'mooooon, you can do better than this!" Towelboy seemed kind of offended at the fact that I hadn't even headed over to the area North of Cerulean yet.

"Yeah, well, some of us take our time to do things ri- oh, hell. I just remembered. Listen, this is important." Yeah, okay, the guy was kind of a jerk, but I don't really think anyone deserves to have their main goal in life, even for a little while, be something impossible. How much of a bitch would that make me, to just let him run around without a clue?

More than I wanted to be.

"Hah, not a chance! You just wanna put me down, but I'm too smart for that! You always thought you were better than me, but look who's ahead now! I've got-"

"Dammit, Gary, this is important!" I shouted, interrupting him. He and his wartortle actually took a step back at that, looking startled.

"Your grandpa's sent us on a joke errand! If you can only catch one pokemon in each route, there's no way to catch everything! There aren't enough distinct routes! The only way to do it is to not care enough that you'll trade away the friends you spent so long training up!" I turned to look at Brent and Ben, then back to the startled-looking Oak before me. "I'm never going to be able to do it, so I'm not even going to try, alright? You win, already, if you want."

The normally-cocky boy spluttered for a bit, then glared at me. "That's a lie! It's gotta be! No way Grandpa would do that to me! You're just tryin' to get me to let you get ahead!

"Well, it's not gonna work! I've already caught more pokemon than you, and I bet you're just worried 'cause you're behind! Well, I'll show you that you're never gonna catch up!

Posted Image

I groaned and sent out Pirra- We didn't have the spare stamina for this. I really, really hoped this wouldn't force us to take another rest. I could only pay for so many nights' stays. "Dammit, Gary, I'm serious here!"

Posted Image
"What the hell, Les?!? Have you got that bird on some kind of steroids or something?!?"

Posted Image
"Gary, you have no idea how much training we've had to do just to get this far." I stared across the grass at him past our pokemon. "Team Rocket was in Mount Moon, something about the fossils, I don't even know. We barely made it here."

Posted Image
"Crud! I don't see why you'd have any trouble with those losers, that taillow of yours is ridiculous!"

Posted Image
"Look, that's not the important thing! Just... just think about it, okay? How many different pokemon are there? And how many routes are there?"

Posted Image
".....nnngh. Heck, you're probably right, but so what? It's Grandpa's dream!"

I chewed my lip as I called Pirra back and sent Ben forwards- He was still fresh, and the bird was a bit ragged and twitchy from fending off nearly Gary's whole team. "Look, Gary, I'm just... I'm not gonna compete with you. I never meant to to begin with. I never liked it anyway!"

Posted Image
"This is all your damn grandfather's fault! Him and, and the way he treats everyone in the world like a kid who doesn't know any better!"

Posted ImagePosted Image
"So I bet that's gonna help! I'm sure I can do this for Grandpa. I don't even care if you're working on it too or not, alright?" He frowned, folding his arms after recalling the last member of his team.

"I just want him to be happy about me for once, okay? Geez."

I sighed, rubbing my forehead. "Alright, alright. Just.... look, I'm trying for the Indigo League. Not because of you, but... it's a goal, you know? And if I can manage that, even if I can't be champion, I can be indipendent and get away from my mother."

Gary gave me an uncertain look for a few moments before he spoke up again. "Hey, look, Bill's a pretty smart guy, I bet he knows some stuff that could help you out.

I took a slow breath as Gary headed past into Cerulean, looking a bit distracted.

"Are you doing alright, Pirra?"

"...I've... been better. I really need a rest before we try anything else, though...." She extended a wing to point down the bridge. I could see several trainers waiting around, leaning on the railings and looking intensely bored.

"Urgh... yeah."

Posted Image

I just about jumped out of my skin when Gary popped back up out of nowhere.

"I guess I owe you or somethin' for being willing to talk to me about all that. An' you were trying to help.
Right?"

I blinked a few times. "Hey, wait, that's not what I-"

"Nah, it's cool, I do try an' act like it."
Posted Image

"...why the hell does he use that to part with people anyways?" I murmured, looking at the odd device in my hand.

That... interesting event... over with, I took the team back into Cerulean. Sure, I could have relied on just Brent and Ben to get us across the bridge, but I didn't really feel like taking risks I didn't have to.

Posted Image
A good night's rest had everyone ready to go again.

((OOC MOMENT:
Center Uses-

Cerulean City: 3/7 used))

Posted Image
It didn't take me long to get a handle on what, exactly, was going on with the bridge that was so popular with trainers.

Posted Image

....not that it made any sense.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Eventually the going got tough.....

...so Brent started -really- kicking it into gear.
.....yeah, okay, I couldn't resist the pun.

Did you even bother trying?

Well, no, not really.

I did learn something useful, though.
Posted Image
Of course, then we had to deal with yet another Rocket. I swear, those guys were every-freakin'-where.

...yeah, no. No way I was gonna take that offer.

Soon enough, though, I found myself in the grass at long last.

Posted Image
The first try, off to the North, was a bust. Pirra was just too strong- or at least, it seemed that way.

Posted Image
But at least one pokemon we ran into could make it through.... and finally, we had another team member.

((OOC MOMENT: The fact that it was still a metapod at this level was a little encouraging. I don't recall there being bugs in that grass usually, and I know this is ALT evo, so hopefully she'll become something useful, right?

Posted ImagePosted Image
High speed and high attack is encouraging too, though it's going to make it difficult to use a movepool that includes Mega Drain. Headbutt is pretty neat anyways.))

I was going to make absolutely sure this time that we'd keep a team member, though.

So. The first thing to do?

Go rest for a while and get the new member settled in.

It took some... doing. I was nervous still, back then. Many metapod don't live to grow up the rest of the way, because of our softer shells.

But dammit, we were gonna do this, and we were gonna do this right.

Posted Image

Center Uses-

Cerulean City: 4/7 used

Beatrix was promising. The stat spread was completely unexpected, but it also meant she could even do some grinding on those Tangela on her own. The Stantler in the grassy strip West of the bridge where I caught her would also make some good leveling fodder when hit with Giga Drain.

I was also surprised to find out that Edge kicked Giga Drain up to a 75 power. It was a pleasant change, though, since it made the move a lot more viable. Thanks, Edge.

Of course, things only get harder from here.... I'm still looking at a team of only four pokemon, and there was no doubt in my mind that Misty was gonna turn out to have a team of six- and a pretty strong team, to go by how much more dangerous Brock was than the rest of the trainers even just in his gym.

Things were about to get interesting.

-The Willful Wanderer
Edited by Quickdraw Crobat, Dec 16 2011, 11:44 AM.

The user formerly known as Kesha
Member Avatar
Boxed

Good luck on Misty, it'll be harder fighting her without a real type advantage or a full team.
Posted Image
This hack looks pretty ridiculous.

Dathus
Member Avatar
Normally there ARE bugs in that grass. Caterpie and Weedle are normally above Cerulean with Pidgey, Oddish/Bellsprout and Abra. I've played FR too much.

Enjoy that bug you get, 'cause he becomes pretty spiffy. Good luck on Misty. She's a bitch.
Successful Attempts

Failed Attempts

Current Run(s):
Posted Image

Mehter

And I have nothing better to do than sit here and F5 this thread for the next 6 hours and drink whiskey.

Posted Image
Come and enjoy the runs! As well, feel free to vote! We always need more voters!

Community Egglocke!

BecauseILoveCyndaquil
Member Avatar
Why? Because I love Cyndaquil.
Good luck with Misty! I hope no one else dies ...

Quickdraw Crobat
Member Avatar
I'm not even sure.
So, now with a team of four and noplace left to get pokemon from at the moment, it was time to get some training done- Beatrix was ready and able, but her strength was a bit behind the others.

Posted Image
She proved still able to practice in the grass West of Cerulean City, though.

I immediately approved of my new trainer's methods. Willingness to work hard and dedication to one's goals is the mark of a warrior's strength. She worked us to our limits- but not past them.

Posted Image
It was kind of a given. If there was anything that had kept my team members going so far, it was training as hard and long as they could, and pushing to but never past the limits.

Some would paint me as a cruel taskmaster for this, but I was so tired of seeing those who would have been friends torn asunder or laid under by simple accidents that could have been avoided with a bit more care and patience on my part.

Besides, I would never push one of the pokemon I was training beyond where they were willing to.

I like to think my stubbornness and resilience was being passed on to them.

Posted Image
Another day spent on training, we rested at the Pokemon Center to prepare- and then it was across the bridge again. If nothing else, I wanted to see Bill and find out if he had any advice- someone with that much knowledge about pokemon would surely have something useful to offer.

((OOC MOMENT-

Center Uses-

Cerulean City: 5/7 used))

Posted Image
With all of that preparing, none of the trainers across the river were all that daunting on their own. They wore at my team members, but for the most part, nothing got too dangerous.... until Pirra was poisoned mere yards from Bills house, by a trainer with a horrifyingly effective Tangela. I'd never seen Poisonpowder combined with Ingrain do so many terrible things. It probably would have been a lot less daunting if my team wasn't all tired already.

Posted Image
As it was, I was lucky that Pirra made it all the way back to the Center with us. We could go see Bill the next day, I'd had enough tension.

((OOC MOMENT-

Center Uses-

Cerulean City: 6/7 used))

Beatrix was kind enough to help me relax, sitting next to me on my bed and telling me- well, stories, actually.

There were many local tales of bravery and strength. How could it be otherwise, with the daunting Cerulean Cave nearby? Several times already, Champions and their teams had entered, though all who did left in a sorry state, heading straight to Cerulean for recuperation.

Occasionally, they had been challenged by locals, and when those battles lasted long at all, they were impressive indeed.

I could only afford one more stop at the pokemon center after this, though- so virtually everything we had to do in Cerulean needed to be done the next day.

I started things going by heading over to Bill's house... only he wasn't there. Well... he sort of was there.

I swear, I don' know what dat boy was thinkin', but it wasn't a good idea. I mean, I unnastan' good things came from kids with crazy ideas like dat, but so did some pretty horrible crap.

The cheerful way he greeted us in spite of his... condition... didn't help things.

Posted ImagePosted Image
I mean, you'd think he'd be panicking more or something. I have to wonder what happened to the pokemon when they combined.

Now there's a horrifying thought.

Posted Image
Either way, I couldn't leave that as it was. He didn't look too bad, but... well, it wasn't the way things should have been, and who could have known what was going on with him while he was stuck like that? And the poor clefairy.

He told me he'd climb into the machine- which I can only assume was the one that did this to him-

Posted ImagePosted Image
-though it was kind of disheartening to see that the machine actually had a built in setting to fix this kind of mistake.

I really don't want to think about how many times he must have done that to himself if he actually built a fix for it into the machine he was making.

He was appreciative enough... sort of.

I mean, what kind of a thing is that to say? 'Thanks, I owe you one- here I'll pay you back by giving you something I think is terrible, but I got for free!'

Plus, think what it says about the party that the guy who blended himself with a pokemon considers it beneath him?

I'm not even sure.

Anyways, outside his house were a couple of ponds (how those survived so close to the river I don't know)... and there was a couple there having a picnic.

Posted Image
Why the guy insisted on turning away from his girlfriend to tell me that, I'm not sure. It was also an odd window of insight to the gym leader, though what exactly it was saying about her I wasn't sure.

It would, however, provide me with a bit of thought later on.

That done, I checked around- but all there was left in Cerulean City was the gym.

So off to the gym we went.

As I walked in, a man standing beside the traditional luck statues turned to talk to me.

Posted ImagePosted Image
He seemed a bit unhinged, but at least he was nice.

Posted Image
One last check, to make sure we were all ready- and then it was time to start.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Valiant warriors all, I am certain, but we had trained ourselves to a level they simply were not able to match.

This seemed fairly simple so far.

Just so.

After facing the last trainer, who was lurking very near the Gym Leader, Misty, I took stock of the whole team. Everyone was practically uninjured- the trainers had been next to no challenge....

Just like Brock's gym.

I frowned a little as I turned. The gym leader was standing there on a slightly raised platform, leaning on a large starmie and watching me... and smirking.

That made me uneasy... and it also made me remember.

Posted Image
You can't have very high hopes of someplace you don't go. And Misty probably went there.

Which meant that she was likely -used- to running the very same gauntlet that wore down my entire team so badly. What's more, she probably had a full team of six pokemon trained up to that level of strength.

And I had four team members.

Narrowing my eyes, I turned and headed out of the gym.

I had one day left.

It was time to train.

Center Uses-

Cerulean City: 6/7 used

This was where things started getting tense for me. Not only didn't I have a type advantage, Brent was at a considerable disadvantage. I had no idea when to expect Beatrix to evolve or into what (Though I was leaning towards either Scyther or Ninjask with those stats...) and the last gym leader I faced nearly destroyed me.

And I only had one Pokemon Center use left, too- since I had no way of getting back to the earlier areas until I got into Vermilion City.

So I was pretty worried. I didn't want things to end here, at the second gym!

Hence... training. I'd have to squeeze every last PP for all the experience it was worth.

Hopefully, that would be enough.

-The Willful Wanderer

Quickdraw Crobat
Member Avatar
I'm not even sure.
OOC: OKAY. Getting things back on track here.... this is gonna take a little doing.

Life has been imploding on me for a while now. In fact, it doesn't seem likely to stop just yet.

But part of rescuing myself from that has to involve a return to 'normalcy', inasmuch as anything I do can be considered 'normal', and so I've got to establish some kind of regularity.

I'm not talking about eating more fiber.

Somewhere in the midst of life happening, much of my computer went under, and I have since not just replaced most of the pieces but also moved on to a new(er) OS. Sadly, in the shuffle of all of that, many files were lost. The save data for my AltEvo run were part of what was lost.

This is not totally unrecoverable- I can make my way back to the same position with the same pokemon with the same names... the stats will be a little different, is all.

I anticipate being ready to make another post here with continuation happening in about a week; maybe a touch more, maybe a touch less.

Never give up, you know?

-The Willful Wanderer

Further Update: Screenshots were not lost! Thank you, Photobucket. Continuation will happen sooner than a week. This gives me some breathing space to catch up to myself.

-The Willful Wanderer

Last update before new post: Alright, I've actually already caught up to myself, so expect a new post probably sometime tomorrow with more things happening, and info on what's different now from before regaining my position- the Pokemon didn't come out exactly the same, though I'd be hard pressed to say better or worse.

-The Willful Wanderer
Edited by Quickdraw Crobat, Nov 17 2012, 06:26 PM.

Dathus
Member Avatar
Sucks when you have to recover the files to a new PC and lose'em all. :x At least you're continuing on with your run! Hope to see the update soon.
Successful Attempts

Failed Attempts

Current Run(s):
Posted Image

Mehter

Posted Image

Community Egglocke!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Screenshot and Written Log Runs · Next Topic »
Add Reply