Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Ever wondered what it'd be like to live life as a fat balding man rapidly approaching death? No? This week's feature shows you what it's like!
Nuzlocke Comics
Welcome to Nuzlocke Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit. We're a community based off the popular "Nuzlocke Challenge", a way of playing the Pokemon video game series on a higher level of difficulty. What is it exactly? Join us and find out that, and more!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Burning Bridges: A firered nuzlocke; May the bridges I burn light my way! (28/4/13 - A new mini comic is up!)
Topic Started: Dec 6 2011, 01:12 PM (34,306 Views)
Wanlingnic
Member Avatar

Posted Image

"My land is bare of chattering folk;
the clouds are low along the ridges,
and sweet's the air with curly smoke
from all my burning bridges."
-Dorothy Parker

BURNING BRIDGES
Being the eclectic misadventures of a misanthropic ex-policewoman and her best friend (who happens to be a Squirtle) as they discover the true value of family, responsibility, and friendship on a life-changing journey through scenic Ireland.

No, seriously, dude, that’s our premise.

Rules

Plot

Posted Image
Hey there, everyone! I'm Nicky!

I'm Ask Cheren on tumblr, and Wanlingnic on Deviantart (and you can read it on dA here). You can find even more art for the comic in my personal tumbr!

So... While I've done a Nuzlocke before, this is my first documented story, so I'm not too sure if I goof up or anything. :T Bear with me - I promise I'll tell you a good story. I also promise not to half-ass anything, and that means updates will be very, VERY slow.

Posted Image

15/3/2012 - Updated 'Art by other people section', and added in a new 'bonus comic'. c:

THE COMIC!

Related Art

Art by other people
Posted Image
BURNING BRIDGES.
May the bridges I burn light my way.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
DeviantART | Tumblr
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Day Maker
Member Avatar
Most people's reactions to me.
Squirtle with Feraligatr designs? Said Squirtle sounding like a badass from the beginning?

The plot sounds fantastic already. And yes I like your art style and how good it looks.

You have my full attention.
That guy who's too optimistic about others and abuses :P
Now with erratic updates! (23/6/12)
Posted Image
Banner by Baka
Blag
All the old run stuff moved to the blog.

Puffy333
Member Avatar
Secretly a Grandma
Oh hey, I still remember this from dA! I'm happy to see you've finally started!

And I think this is the first run I've seen where Giovanni is a good and openly loving father to Silver :V
Posted Image
Deviantart - Tumblr

Hexic
Member Avatar
Herp
gdi I wrote a reply and it got deleted

anyways, great start! This caught my attention. I like your art skill. Good luck with the run!c:
Posted Image

Mbop
Member Avatar
Mmmbop, ba duba dop Ba du bop, ba duba dop

so
confused
Mbop's Indispensable but Humble Nuzlocke
Posted Image

Where we spell the word "Indispensable" wrong in our banner

Red Spearow
Member Avatar
Detective

Oh I have a great feeling about this comic. This is gonna be so good. Giovanni as a loving father? I'd never have guessed. I can't wait!
Posted Image

"Remember my name, for I am the Red Spearow. All Pidgey will come to know it, and tremble in fear."

Completed Nuzlocke fireRed:
Spoiler: click to toggle

mirability
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Pewter Gym
I love the art! Looking forward to seeing more!
Soulsilver Run:

Wanlingnic
Member Avatar

Day Maker

Squirtle with Feraligatr designs? Said Squirtle sounding like a badass from the beginning?

The plot sounds fantastic already. And yes I like your art style and how good it looks.

You have my full attention.
Awww, thank you so much! :D That really does mean a lot to me.

Puffy333

Oh hey, I still remember this from dA! I'm happy to see you've finally started!

And I think this is the first run I've seen where Giovanni is a good and openly loving father to Silver :V
PFFFFT, You have no idea how glad I am to see you interested in my run. c: Your stuff's hilarious!

And, come to think of it, you're right. o3o Giovanni's a pretty bad fanon-dad.

Hexic

gdi I wrote a reply and it got deleted

anyways, great start! This caught my attention. I like your art skill. Good luck with the run!c:
Argh, that sucks. Thank you so much! I'll keep an eye on your run, too. c:

Mbop

so confused
Oh, gosh, I'm sorry. Is there anything wrong? If you like, I could explain anything to you. :T

Red Spearow

Oh I have a great feeling about this comic. This is gonna be so good. Giovanni as a loving father? I'd never have guessed. I can't wait!
Aww, thank you! Giovanni's relationship with Silver's a pretty important plot point (Moira's looking for her own father, who wasn't quite as loving). And, oh, wow, I really hope this lives up to your expectations! :D

mirability

I love the art! Looking forward to seeing more!
Thank you! 8D

Oh, gosh, I'm so sorry it took me a while to reply! I wanted to give you guys an update, but this next page is huge. :T (urgh.)
Edited by Wanlingnic, Dec 7 2011, 02:35 AM.
Posted Image
BURNING BRIDGES.
DeviantART | Tumblr

Pillowcase
Member Avatar
shut up shut up it is not true

Wait, how did people know that's Giovanni? I'd never have guessed if I looked at the page for an hour.

Then again, I probably would look at it for an hour, too. This is beautiful art, and the story starts off interestingly. I'll be keeping track of this.
Posted Image
A storylocke on hiatus - banner by the curiously named OLIVINE ARC!

(also All This Time - a storylocke not (actually) on hiatus)

A crazy dice run with a bad title
Broken --- Excerpts from LW.'s Journal
... ... ... --- !!!

hitoshura0
Member Avatar
Worst shiny ever!
I saw that banner, and I couldn't wait until I got into here. You have a nice, clean style and already I'm liking some of the character dynamics.
I've gotta full dex and am ready to breed what you need! PM me with others/requests.

Tumblr

The Aleph Saga

Current run:
Aleph Nuzlockes through Snakewood More abominations.
I"M THE WORST SHINY EVER!!!!

Wanlingnic
Member Avatar

Pillowcase

Wait, how did people know that's Giovanni? I'd never have guessed if I looked at the page for an hour.

Then again, I probably would look at it for an hour, too. This is beautiful art, and the story starts off interestingly. I'll be keeping track of this.
Your guess is as good as mine. o3o I wasn't actually trying to make him look too stereotypical and, honestly, I wasn't expecting many people to actually recognise him - maybe it's because Silver called him 'dad'?

Thank you so much, by the way! It means a lot to me. c:

hitoshura0

I saw that banner, and I couldn't wait until I got into here. You have a nice, clean style and already I'm liking some of the character dynamics.
Really? Thank you so much! I really wanted this to read like a webcomic, so cleaning up the lineart and colouring every panel's a real chore - but it's all worth it when I hear something like that from you. c:
Posted Image
BURNING BRIDGES.
DeviantART | Tumblr

Wanlingnic
Member Avatar

(Ugh, I'm double-posting again. I'm so sorry.)

But, hey, at least there's an update! Click here for page 2!

In which we finally get to see Moira - suffering 90's hair syndrome. (She also smiles just barely more often than Kristen Stewart does in the Twilight films.)

I'm sorry for the poor quality; I know I promised not to give you guys shoddy work, but I've been hard-pressed for time lately. The next page, I promise, will be better - and it'll have some ACTUAL Nuzlocking in it! Won't that be nice? *shot*

Posted Image
BURNING BRIDGES.
DeviantART | Tumblr

Ryua
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
I am so excited to see this continue. SO EXCITED!
Halfblood A Y Gijinka Nuzlocke Comic

Day Maker
Member Avatar
Most people's reactions to me.
You remembered Falkner was a part of the police. I like his characterisation, who I assume to be surge and the other girl. But still, there's something off.... like where Donahue is!

Also, group hugs are never appreciated.
That guy who's too optimistic about others and abuses :P
Now with erratic updates! (23/6/12)
Posted Image
Banner by Baka
Blag
All the old run stuff moved to the blog.

Pillowcase
Member Avatar
shut up shut up it is not true

Moira be a killjoy :<

Falkner also looks like he could be a vocalist/rhythm guitar player in some semi-obscure boy pop band somewhere.
Posted Image
A storylocke on hiatus - banner by the curiously named OLIVINE ARC!

(also All This Time - a storylocke not (actually) on hiatus)

A crazy dice run with a bad title
Broken --- Excerpts from LW.'s Journal
... ... ... --- !!!

Dai
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
I only remember Falkner being part of the police in Pokemon Adventures...with Surge being a Rocket. Ah, well. Your art drew me in, and I was awfully curious about your run for quite some time-glad to see it's finally up, even if it did take me a few days to notice. Lookin' forward to seeing how this all unfolds.
Posted Image

Red Spearow
Member Avatar
Detective

How sweet. Group hug for the ex-officer of the law.

Say, a pokemon police game would make an excellent game!
Posted Image

"Remember my name, for I am the Red Spearow. All Pidgey will come to know it, and tremble in fear."

Wanlingnic
Member Avatar

Ryua

I am so excited to see this continue. SO EXCITED!
Thank you so much! :D I've watched your dA - gonna follow your run, too.

Day Maker

You remembered Falkner was a part of the police. I like his characterisation, who I assume to be surge and the other girl. But still, there's something off.... like where Donahue is!

Also, group hugs are never appreciated.
Eheh, yes! I love it when some canon explains that Gym Leaders have another life that doesn't involve living in the gym 24/7/. xD Falkner having a job was so adorable, I kept it here.

Whoops, I'm sorry, I should've cleared it up! The blue-haired girl's a Jenny, and the boy with the pikachu's actually an original character - Surge is much older here, with kids of his own, and maybe just a little younger than Giovanni.

Pillowcase

Moira be a killjoy :<

Falkner also looks like he could be a vocalist/rhythm guitar player in some semi-obscure boy pop band somewhere.
Oh, my! You just quoted my friend word-for-word! When I said Moira has 90's hair, she said Falkner had teen idol boyband hair syndrome.

Dai

I only remember Falkner being part of the police in Pokemon Adventures...with Surge being a Rocket. Ah, well. Your art drew me in, and I was awfully curious about your run for quite some time-glad to see it's finally up, even if it did take me a few days to notice. Lookin' forward to seeing how this all unfolds.
Checking Bulbapedia, you're right! Falkner's job only appears in the manga. It's largely fanon-adopted, though - I didn't even realise it was Pokespe-exclusive! - there's a great ask blog on tumblr called Ask-Falkner, and he's answered several questions as a policeman. I just decided it'd be fun to roll with it, given Moira's job.

The plot more or less acts as an origin story for several GSC characters - you'll see it turn Falkner into a Gym Leader, as well as turn Silver into his usual grumpypants self. (Also, without giving too much away, some Gen 4 characters, like Volkner, are in here too.)

I won't be sticking purely to the manga canon, though - so Surge isn't a Rocket, but he's not a cop, either. xD The fellow with the Pikachu is actually an original character called Verne (as a joke, I based him on the blonde elf from UBOS, but later realised that character was called Gus. Verne's the redhead, apparently. *bricked*). The Pikachu's called Jules.

Red Spearow

How sweet. Group hug for the ex-officer of the law.

Say, a pokemon police game would make an excellent game!
Oh, gosh, you're right! I'd love to play something like that. (The closest thing we have to it's Pokemon Ranger, right?)
Posted Image
BURNING BRIDGES.
DeviantART | Tumblr

Red Spearow
Member Avatar
Detective

Yep. Also, explorers of time/darkness/sky have bountyhunting.
Posted Image

Wanlingnic
Member Avatar

Bounty-hunting? Seriously? D:

The last MD game I had was Red - I can't even imagine how awesome that series has become with the advent of something that mature! Was it fun?
Posted Image
BURNING BRIDGES.
DeviantART | Tumblr

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Fan Challenge Runs · Next Topic »
Add Reply