Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Who's your Big Daddy?
Nuzlocke Comics
Welcome to Nuzlocke Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit. We're a community based off the popular "Nuzlocke Challenge", a way of playing the Pokemon video game series on a higher level of difficulty. What is it exactly? Join us and find out that, and more!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Nuzlocke Strategy Guide; The Community-Fueled Compendium of Nuzlocke Strategy and Advice
Topic Started: Jan 3 2012, 10:04 AM (13,602 Views)
aweshucks
Member Avatar
Master
I'm creating this thread to act as a central location people can go to for any strategy, advice, tips, and tricks for the Nuzlocke challenge. If you have anything that you want to add, please leave a comment and I will add it to the OP.

Grinding/Levels

Team Building

General Advice

Moveset Advice

Version-Specific Advice

• I'll add more as I think of it, but please contribute your advice as well! I want this to be filled with things from many different people
Edited by aweshucks, Jan 3 2012, 07:13 PM.
Ongoing Runs: Der Erif
Completed Runs: N/A
Failed Runs: N/A

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Slothtastic
Member Avatar
Birds, birds everywhere.

Platinum tips:

Game is long as hell. Be prepared for that.

Grind to at least 18 before the Valley Windworks. TRUST ME.

Spend time in the Underground - it's essentially risk-free money, if a bit slow.

If you're permitted Repels, save your Old Chateau catch til midnight. Rotom is pretty damn good.

There is a move tutor on route 212, nearer Pastoria than Hearthome. He teaches (among other things) the elemental punches. THIS IS USEFUL - grind shards, it can provide some much needed coverage to your team.

B/W:

Audino grinding - find the smallest patch of grass, with the least stuff around it, on the route. Run around OUTSIDE the patch until it shakes somewhere, then dive on in. Repel optional, if the shaky patch is more than one square in.

Either way, this makes Audino hunting almost foolproof and much safer. I legitimately never lost a Pokemon in B/W to a grinding accident, it was always trainers (and once an accidental wild double battle, which YOU SHOULD AVOID IF YOU ARE TRAINING ASDF.)
Everybody Dies, completed in April of 2012

The Graduate Students, completed in October of 2013

I Told You That Story...

Future Sight

And the rest

ALSO I APPEAR TO BE DOING A SCREENSHOT RUN

Also I may or may not have started a sort of self-insert...

aweshucks
Member Avatar
Master
Ok, I'll add them later. I gotta go now though. lunch break is over :=/:

Posted Image

Day Maker
Member Avatar
Most people's reactions to me.
One: Berries are in the second gen as well.
Two: I have a few pointers:
For FR/LG, watch out for Giovanni's Kangaskhan. Mega punch is sometihng only those with higher defense should take.
In HG/SS, Bugsy's Scyther is far more powerful, as it has a STAB move, and it allows it to get out of the way. Either something with very good defense or pretty much immune to it (4X resistance, though a Gastly is not a good idea) should go forward.
Take advantage of all luck. Opponent hitting themselves for once? Bring the pain. They got inflicted with a status? Don't give a chance for them to recover.

And Never use the powerful TMs earlier. You never know when you will need them.
That guy who's too optimistic about others and abuses :P
Now with erratic updates! (23/6/12)
Posted Image
Banner by Baka
Blag
All the old run stuff moved to the blog.

White Chaos
Member Avatar
[untitled]

I'll work on a Moveset Chapter, going to start with D/P/Pt then HG/SS since I'm most familiar with those regions.

LightningLord2
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Mauville Gym
In each version, there's a starter that's easier to use than the others. Recommended if you want to avoid too much trouble. Also, one starter requires more skill than the others (they either have early type disadvantage or difficult movepools):
Kanto: Bulbasaur is easy, Charmander is hard.
Johto: Cyndaquil is easy, Chikorita is hard.
Hoenn: Mudkip is easy, Treecko is hard.
Sinnoh: Piplup is easy, Chimchar is hard.
Unova: Oshawott is easy, Snivy is hard.

Moveset tip: Steel and Dragon are dangerous types to fight, so you should have a reliable Fire- and Ice-Type move ready during the late game (where those types will be more common). Fire is not necessary in the original Pokemon games, because Pokemon weak to fire are either very weak or have a type weakness that's easier to exploit (mostly Psychic).
Edited by LightningLord2, Jan 3 2012, 10:26 AM.
Posted Image

Touhoumon Mercury
"Now, once again...everything shall be
purged!! This stuttering and weak era will
be replaced by a supreme, ultimate, evil
fundoshi hell!!"

generic4
Member Avatar

Try to build some redundancy into your team. I always like to have multiple ways to counter common or problem types, especially by the elite 4. Its going to be rough if your only counter to, say, dragons goes down before getting to Lance.
Current run:The Simple Life (last chapter up 6/11/14)

Current team

Completed runs:
Locke's story:Broken Memories, a Sea Green storylocke and Reckoning, a Sapphire storylocke

Black Frost
Member Avatar
He's gonna get you!
If you're playing a hack: always keep your strongest Pokemon at the top two/three positions of your team - you'll never know when you run into a double or triple battle.
The Fantastic Wormadam Trio Duo Storms Unova!
Posted ImagePetuniaPosted ImageSandraPosted ImageBlue EyesPosted ImageNeptunePosted ImageYedong IIPosted ImagePlatypunk (hated HM slave)

Frosty in the Sky with Flowers - A Blind Flora Sky Playthrough (non-Nuzlocke)

White Chaos
Member Avatar
[untitled]

Ok, basically I'm going to make a project on Pokemon Platinum. What I'm going to do is post the BEST moveset for Pokemon in a Nuzlocke. I'm only going to use REUSABLE TMS AND HMS and Level Up Movesets. So stuff like Roarks Stealth Rock and Candice's Avalanche will not be included. For the sake of In-Game purposes, Reusable TMs that are from the Battle Frontier (Brick Break and Earthquake) are not included.

Since this is mainly to help people who are at the Elite 4, the TMs being used are only up until the Elite 4. The Level cap is Level 55.

Under each moveset there will be a '*' that means you can use another move in it's place.

* = Moveslot 1
** = Moveslot 2
*** = Moveslot 3
**** = Moveslot 4

Pokemon 1-30

This is mainly a reference point for Future Pokemon Platinum players, so they can get the most of their Pokemon without those absurd one-time-use TMs. Most of these Pokemon can get their movesets pretty early *cough*Gengar*cough*

Will post Sinnoh Dex #32-62 later.

Mattman324
Member Avatar
I'll send you to the Netherlands!
Chaos11011
Jan 3 2012, 11:00 AM
Ok, basically I'm going to make a project on Pokemon Platinum. What I'm going to do is post the BEST moveset for Pokemon in a Nuzlocke. I'm only going to use REUSABLE TMS AND HMS and Level Up Movesets. So stuff like Roarks Stealth Rock and Candice's Avalanche will not be included. For the sake of In-Game purposes, Reusable TMs that are from the Battle Frontier (Brick Break and Earthquake) are not included.

Since this is mainly to help people who are at the Elite 4, the TMs being used are only up until the Elite 4. The Level cap is Level 55.

Under each moveset there will be a '*' that means you can use another move in it's place.

* = Moveslot 1
** = Moveslot 2
*** = Moveslot 3
**** = Moveslot 4

Pokemon 1-30

This is mainly a reference point for Future Pokemon Platinum players, so they can get the most of their Pokemon without those absurd one-time-use TMs. Most of these Pokemon can get their movesets pretty early *cough*Gengar*cough*

Will post Sinnoh Dex #32-62 later.
Lists are flawed.

TURTWIG: Return over Leech Seed.

CHIMCHAR: Thunder Punch over Fire Blast BY FAR. And is U-Turn reusable?

PIPLUP: Aqua Jet over the extremely redundant Metal Claw (Rock you don't need, Ice you can just handle anyway... except things like Candice's Abomasnow you have no buisness against).

STARLY: Okay.

BIDOOF: That's a nice Unaware set, but Simple begs for Curse/Return/Waterfall/Brick Break. Brick Break isn't reusable? Sure... Battle factory spam. And if you don't like waiting, well, you'll have to for Superpower.

KRICKETUNE: Return isn't all that and a bag of chips, it's actually fairly redundant. Sing should also be a replacement for it.

SHINX: Okay.

ABRA: Sub on the main set... with nothing to take advantage of it? Calm Mind as main option for 4.

MAGIKARP: Fire Blast and Thunder should be there as sub options. Also obtainable easily, and Gyara needs the power. And where is Bounce?

BUDEW: I've used Roserade time and again, and am aghast that Grasswhistle gets no mention while a physical attack does ON THE MAIN SET. Stun spore over Petal Dance in main options. (That's not to say don't use it, but it shouldn't be a-list)

ZUBAT: Confuse Ray over Sub any day. Especially with Fly and Bite.
Posted Image
Some random Ruby run

Let's GO GAIKING THE GREAT in Super Robot Wars L!

24 Perfect nuzlockes. 142 caught in one of them. THE BEST AROUND!

My most recent one? My first X run!

LightningLord2
Member Avatar
Try not to use the same type of attacking moves on the PokÚmon (like Thunderbolt+Thunder). Having more variety of types is always more helpful than having the same type many times over. You can have two like-typed moves if they fulfill different roles (e.g. Outrage and Draco Meteor or Waterfall and Aqua Jet).

Also, you need to know how you can badly mess up the enemy with non-attacking moves, especially with low levels - since Boss Trainers love to attack all the time, Destiny Bond on something faster (or with Endure+Custap Berry) is a guaranteed one-hit kill against everything because not even Sturdy or Focus items can prevent dying from it (you do lose your Pokemon though). Also, Leech Seed, Toxic, Will-O-Wisp and Curse can make sure that something is going to die.
Edited by LightningLord2, Jan 3 2012, 12:01 PM.
Posted Image

Touhoumon Mercury
fundoshi hell!!"

ChouGokuOozaru
Member Avatar
Now with more GUSTO
Some tips for Black/White:

Keep in mind that in many cases a lot of the pokemon you will catch will only learn moves of their type, and occasionally normal-type moves. Don't expect a lot of diversity in movesets without using a few TMs, which is good considering they are reusable in Gen V. A good case in point is the Ducklett Family, as their entire moveset consists of only water and flying type moves.

Though it goes without saying, keeping the levels a little higher makes all the difference, regardless of generation. Though with Gen V, since some gyms or trainers can be extremely nasty, keeping even levels is really risky, and it's great to make sure you can minimize the damage as possible, especially with pokemon that will always be faster than you.

To follow up with the "lack of diversity" statement, there's also times where you need to watch out for diversity. A good example of this is the 4th Gym, and the Blitzle / Zebstrika. They can naturally learn Pursuit, which can be particularly nasty in that gym, and if you train on them in their route earlier in the game.

A really common move I've noticed in Gen V is Bide. Bide is one of those really dangerous moves, along with multi-hitting moves, as the AI will almost always get a good number of hits with stuff such as Rock Blast, Doubleslap, Tail Slap, ect. If you can plan around the Bide pokemon, you're set for the early-game, but if you fall for it, it could mean an early death or wipe if you're not careful.

So yeah, aside from the common knowledge, that's my 2 cents.
Posted Image
Steam
A Formspring (For all your dying questions)

illven
No Avatar
Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
For HG and SS if you have the international version Use voltorb flip. The ability to get Ice beam, Thunderbolt, and Flamethrower easily and early is very helpful (Although it can take a while)

aweshucks
Member Avatar
Master
Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Posted Image

BulletForMyValentine
Member Avatar
Cow house? You know, where they live? The cows.

Some tips for people who are lazy, like me.
-You don't need to run with a full team of 6 if you have one or two Pokemon that have good move versatility. For example, Starmie can learn great Water, Electric, Ice, and Psychic type moves. It can pretty much sweep the Elite 4 in R/B/Y and FR/LG if you're a good enough trainer. The same goes for a Pokemon like Dragonite, which has a counter for every single type ever invented.

-The Versus Seeker in FR/LG is a god-send. There's a spot at the top of Cycling Road that can get 8 trainer rematches (they have level 30-35 Pokemon) to help you level, all with Fighting or Poison types. It's perfect for training up a Psychic Pokemon.

I'll add more to this post later.
Rocket Locke (Banner inside!)

X-Naut
Member Avatar
Will you cut that out already?
For Team Building:

1. Try to have at least one designated catcher on your team as often as possible. This is a pokemon that can whittle down a pokemon's health and status it with minimal risk of knocking it out.

2. If you feel you need an HM slave, don't worry about it! Five or even four members is still enough to make a well-balanced team.

Also, I don't mean to sound elitist with this, but would anyone support the idea of tier lists for the pokemon in each game?
Some non-Pokemon runs

If I were a Pokemon...

aweshucks
Member Avatar
Master
@X-Naut, there are tier lists.... go to smogon

anyway, I've put in everything that's been submitted so far (except for the list of movesets. I think I'm gonna let you finish that before I put it in).
I just copy/pasted most of it though so it may look a tad ugly. I'll work on formatting later

Posted Image

AnEpicPerson
Member Avatar
Just call me Haley.
http://www.reddit.com/r/nuzlocke/comments/le82u/nuzlocke_faqcheck_here_before_asking_a_question/

I made this a while ago on reddit. This may help.
Current run:
Continuum: An Emerald Storylocke

Old runs (both abandoned due to time/emulator issues):
Pokemon In Order: A Platinum Run
Black Waters: A ShinyGold Run

Hyperius629
Member Avatar
NANANANANA
>Unless you really feel like having a challenge, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GO INTO ANY IMPORTANT BATTLE BLIND. Have Bulbapedia or at the least Serebii open to see what pokemon a gym leader/boss/elite four member will have and what moves it knows. More often than not, the "boss trainers" will have pokemon with tm moves available to them, a great example being Jupiter in 4th gen, whose Zubat knows Giga Drain the first time you encounter it.

>If playing a hack/rom, make sure to pay attention while playing. While the speed up function is very handy for grinding, you have to pay even closer attention to your pokemon because the chance of them dying due to simply being attacked enough is greatly increased when everything is going so fast you don't have time enough to register what's going on.

>Take your time. Don't feel rushed to complete the game; doing so will only cause more harm then good.
This especially goes for fourth gen, which will kick your ass if you just rush through it like a fool.

>Never go into a full on panic attack. Even if your main counter to a particular 'mon or gym leader dies, the rest of your team can, and often times will, be enough to easily take down said problem.
I can't stop listening

Yo dudes, go check out The Nintendo Wars

LightningLord2
Member Avatar
In some games, there are specific Pokemon early on that are really useful to have. You might want to include them if you get them. Examples are:
-Geodude in Johto. It resists Normal, making crush all the derps on the main routes with ease (provided you don't let it stay at Level 2) and smash Falkner and Bugsy, while also taking on Whitney's Miltank easily (even capable of killing it with its own Rollout).
-Taillow in Hoenn. It has Guts, which makes it hit harder when statused (useful when the bugs spam Poison Sting at you, and Shroomish having Effect Spore) and Wing Attack will beat Brawly while also being a useful move in general. After Norman, you can get it Facade, which, combined with Guts, does a lot of damage.
-Starly in Sinnoh. Also learns Wing Attack early, allows you to pull the F.E.A.R. strategy if you get a Focus Sash, can weaken enemies with Intimidate after evolving and Staraptor gets Close Combat if you evolve Staravia immediately. Fighting/Flying coverage with that bird's high Attack and Speed will beat anyone standing in your way.
-Darumaka in Unova. Fire is not often resisted and its Fire Punch gets powered by STAB and Hustle, OHKOing pretty much everything. Upon evolving, it will get Sheer Force (more reliable than Hustle) and Flare Blitz (after some levels), giving it the best physical attacking power in the game.
Posted Image

Touhoumon Mercury
fundoshi hell!!"

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Challenge Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply