Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
It doesn't matter how reckless you are - you really shouldn't abandon reading this week's feature.
Nuzlocke Comics
Welcome to Nuzlocke Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit. We're a community based off the popular "Nuzlocke Challenge", a way of playing the Pokemon video game series on a higher level of difficulty. What is it exactly? Join us and find out that, and more!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Is this too easy for a nuzlocke?; I have rules ready but they may be too easy
Topic Started: Jul 11 2012, 06:11 PM (1,509 Views)
Force Gaia
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Pewter Gym
I'm planning to start my first Nuzlocke on pokemon emerald, and I've got some rules/technicalities planned, but want to see if general opinion means some are discouraged. I'd like to ease myself into it as in a normal run I'm rather reckless and normally have a ton of revives, so I'm trying to ease my self away from that by being a tad kinder with technicalities and rules.

the basic two rules:

• I plan to perma-box rather than release (as they can still be useful on another cartridge - namely my second emerald cart)
  • I can catch the first pokemon on the route that I don't already own or have previously owned and doesn't share an evolutionary line with a pokemon I already own or have previously owned.

Area, usage and other technicalities:
  • I can catch any shiny pokemon and use them if i am lucky enough to find any regardless of if it's my first one of the area or not, and finding one doesn't class as my first encounter if it is.
  • Underwater is classed as a different area rather than being classed as part of the route (all 'underwater' areas are one area regardless of the route it's under so only one deep-sea capture)
  • The challenge doesn't start until i get my first pokeballs, but i'm not allowed to level or train my starter until then either
  • Gift pokemon, fossils or in-game trades are a bonus, and can be used even if the area has already had it's capture-able encounter and doesn't use it up if i haven't had the encounter
  • The starter is classed as Littleroot town's pokemon
  • If I decide to fish in an area, the encounter is classed as being from the area my character is standing in, rather than the one the rod is in
  • I can evolve pokemon by trade (by trading and trading back) only if I've had them in their current form for 5 levels and as long as any items needed are sourced from the nuzlocke cartridge (e.g. i catch abra at lv 8 it evolves at lv 16, so i can't trade-evolve it until it hits lv 21) - This is the ONLY linking I'm allowed to do with another game.
  • The safari Zone is 6 separate areas in terms of first encounters. so i can catch a maximum of 6 form the safari zone. This is because of the chance that they run away so my skill won't have had anything to do with losing the chance to get it.
  • Poison can kill in the field like the generation allows it to. I'm not prating about by artificially applying the gen 4+ poison effects. poison kills in real life, so it does in my nuzlocke
  • I cannot use day care, at all, ever, for any reason.

If i manage to compete the run I'll also be doing the battle frontier, and i plan for the rules to change within battle facilities. the goal is to get all silver symbols.
  • Pokemon that faint inside a battle facility are NOT considered dead, and can be revived by the facility guide and within the battle pyramid with Revives, Max revives, Sacred ash and whathaveyou. Outside a battle facility the normal rules apply.
  • The battle tents are also considered battle facilities, this is purely so testing can be done for the Battle Palace in terms of moves liked and hated
  • Trainer Hill is also counted as a battle facility as are any other places were exp is not earned.
  • I must attempt a facility with the same combination of pokemon until i lose, i cannot change the pokemon i use for it in the middle of a streak
  • If I fail a challenge with a combination of pokemon, i cannot re-attempt that facility with that same combination of pokemon again (e.g. i fail with pokemon 1, 2, and 3 i need only change one pokemon in that lineup to have it considered a new combination so 1, 3, and 5 is a valid new combo) note that this is per-facility so i can use previously disallowed combos in other facilities.

I also might do the contests to get the paintings too, but they require no special rules.

Can i have folk's opinions on if these are acceptable in terms of providing enough challenge to be called a nuzlocke?
Edited by Force Gaia, Jul 12 2012, 01:09 PM.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dragon35
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Mind
It all seems pretty normal and standard rules.
Some may argue that gift pokemon are classed as the area in which you are given them, rather than an area onto themselves but there aren't many places that you can get a gift pokemon and a normal one (if you count the weather institute as a separate area)

The Battle Frontier isn't generally a place added on because of how insanely difficult it would be, but if you want to give it a shot, go ahead.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Rueblie
Member Avatar
Better than mega.
Those rules are used quite a bit from what I've seen, except the fishing one. No-one usually does the battle frontier so I can't really judge that but I'd say it's fine.
There should be more here but I'm too lazy.

apparently I'm a pokemon

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

UnderNineThousand
Member Avatar
బుట్టలు
Force Gaia
Jul 11 2012, 06:11 PM
-If I decide to fish in an area, the encounter is classed as being from the area my character is standing in, rather than the one the rod is in
If I'm interpreting this correctly you could end up catching, in effect, two mons from the same route. I'm not sure whether that's kosher or not, and in all honesty it seems like the rule isn't even necessary.

As far as the Battle Frontier goes, I wouldn't allow Revives etc. at all, period. It'll be a difficult challenge whether you use them or not so conflicting with the rule against them really makes no difference.
If you're set in using them, though, you could limit yourself to those you find and disallow buying them beforehand.

Welcome to the forum, and best of luck with your run :)
Personality test shenanigans

Weewer
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
>Seems legit.

Go for it, I'd love to see the frontier.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Past Runs

Posted ImageDoesntPosted Image
Member Avatar
9 rivals
Quote:

If I decide to fish in an area, the encounter is classed as being from the area my character is standing in, rather than the one the rod is in

Pretty sure this is how the game determines which table to look from anyway, so it's fine. Don't really see how it could be abused even without it.

And most people don't do the Frontier anyway as it's miles away from the rest of the game in terms of difficulty...your rules for it seem a *touch* merciful (I would consider all three mons dead if the team loses in the frontier) though.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Old Stuff

Hawkfire
Member Avatar
Nrghhhooooooooooh

Those rules look fine for a simple nuzlocke, absolutely nobody has any real reason of accusing you of making things too easy. Hell, I think the only rule change which annoys people are ones which violate the two main rules in any massive way (i.e. catching two pokemon per (non-safari zone) route or allowing for revives).
Posted Image
my tumblr
Large-ish

Axiel
Member Avatar

Your rules sound perfectly fine; I don't think you will have any issues from the forum users. Some of those rules are common (i.e. dupes and shiny clauses). Good luck, and remember...grind like hell. I'm nuzlocking Emerald myself, and have taken a few losses for being underleveled. Always try matching the gym leader's strongest.
Completed Runs

SpectrumPanda
Member Avatar
j°shua | dun

Bahahaha I use something around that ruleset. It's fine :)
Posted Image

p°wer t° the l°cal dreamer

Tumblr | PokÚdex Completion Log | Moon Moon | Music thread | Photography thread

Friend code: 0946-2735-7506
Panpour | Poliwhirl | Quagsire

NotoriousJ
Member Avatar
Very Stronk.
Those rules seem pretty fair except for the repel one. You're supposed to be using any first encounter Pokemon. Using a repel to get to a certain area for a special Pokemon just because you like it or it's very powerful is kind of cheap in my opinion. Remember, part of the Nuzlocke Challenge is to bond with Pokemon that you probably never would have before. Besides that, the rule set is pretty similar to how I play. Good luck. :)
HeartGold, been on hiatus for like a year and a half...

What Pokemon Am I?

Force Gaia
Member Avatar
NotoriousJ
Jul 11 2012, 07:34 PM
Those rules seem pretty fair except for the repel one. You're supposed to be using any first encounter Pokemon. Using a repel to get to a certain area for a special Pokemon just because you like it or it's very powerful is kind of cheap in my opinion. Remember, part of the Nuzlocke Challenge is to bond with Pokemon that you probably never would have before. Besides that, the rule set is pretty similar to how I play. Good luck. :)
Out of them all, it was the repel one i was most cagey about, so i'll remove that one
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
Jul 11 2012, 06:31 PM
And most people don't do the Frontier anyway as it's miles away from the rest of the game in terms of difficulty...your rules for it seem a *touch* merciful (I would consider all three mons dead if the team loses in the frontier) though.
The idea behind the frontier rules are thus:
-If a combination fails, that combo was never good enough to do it, but there may be good points so fixing it by swapping out the 'weak link' so to speak would be valid. This is per facility as a combo that would fail in one facility may be more suited to a different one. This also makes it the more frustrating if a combo got to the frontier brain then failed, I can't use them again in the same way.
-There is still a game over condition: I've used up all available combinations for a facility so i can't get the silver symbol without repeating a combination.
-Revives are allowed in the pyramid because as it's been said a few times in this thread, most don't do the frontier as it's so difficult, so keeping permadeath there would be ludicrous. the other facilities provide a pokemon centre so to speak so any faints will be revived anyway.
Axiel
Jul 11 2012, 06:50 PM
Your rules sound perfectly fine; I don't think you will have any issues from the forum users. Some of those rules are common (i.e. dupes and shiny clauses). Good luck, and remember...grind like hell. I'm nuzlocking Emerald myself, and have taken a few losses for being underleveled. Always try matching the gym leader's strongest.
I've actually re-run Ruby and emerald normally in preparation for this challenge, just so I'm prepared for any nasty surprises I may have forgotten about.
Tate and Liza gave me problems both times due to their over-leveled team compared to the rest of the gym, in emerald more so as they had 2 more pokemon and used levitate and flying to their advantage to earthquake the hell out my team with claydol.
Edited by Force Gaia, Jul 12 2012, 04:51 AM.
Posted Image

Arekuzu
Member Avatar
Oh hai thar.
I actually used a repel in my emerald nuzlocke to get an Aron in granite cave, seems legit in my opinion as i've used the zubat I probably would have gotten instead in every other playthrough of pokemon ever.

Personally I prefer the Spheal from shoal cave anyway.
Posted Image
Click em if you really want to!

Force Gaia
Member Avatar
UnderNineThousand
Jul 11 2012, 06:23 PM
As far as the Battle Frontier goes, I wouldn't allow Revives etc. at all, period. It'll be a difficult challenge whether you use them or not so conflicting with the rule against them really makes no difference.
If you're set in using them, though, you could limit yourself to those you find and disallow buying them beforehand.
You're not familiar with the Battle Pyramid then.
You can only start with a team that has no hold items attached.
At the start your bag is taken away, and the only items you have are those you find in the pyramid. Your 'Battle Bag' is conserved within the same streak, but you lose it if you lose the streak.

The pyramid would be stupidly difficult if you disallowed revives in it. As 2 of the 3 challenges within it aim to inflict your team with burn and poison respectively and if i don't find any status restoratives they'll die without me being able to do anything. At least in the field it's my own fault if i lose a poke due to a status condition as i'll have been stupid enough not to buy status cures, rather than luck inside the pyramid if i simply don't find any.

All other facilities revive my team automatically regardless (well except the pike, I have to be lucky enough to find a guide to do that) and i'm not allowed to use items.

So in both instances buying revives beforehand would be pointless.
Arekuzu
Jul 12 2012, 04:59 AM
I actually used a repel in my emerald nuzlocke to get an Aron in granite cave, seems legit in my opinion as i've used the zubat I probably would have gotten instead in every other playthrough of pokemon ever.

Personally I prefer the Spheal from shoal cave anyway.
the difference there is that aron can be found in victory road too, while snorunt can only be found in shoal cave.
but i was only using snorunt as an example, i prefer spheal too
Edited by Force Gaia, Jul 12 2012, 05:04 AM.
Posted Image

thewetmop
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Fuschia Gym
there are things in here I don't do personally (underwater a different area, using repels for better catches, multiple pokes in the safari zone) but I don't think you've made it to easy on yourself. These things are all minor compared to weather or not you use the BS clause (Dont! If you start out making rule exceptions its hard to go back) and how much you level. Considering you can technically grind as much as you want, a lot of the challenge comes from weather you keep your team close to gym levels(I recommend it) or not, not from how many guys you pick up in the safari zone.

ColonelDarren
Member Avatar
14-Time Nuzlocke Completionist
The rules sound pretty typical. Maybe a touch on the easier side of things, but it's still quite fine. I suspected that it was going to be for a Nuzlocker's first time, and it's actually pretty well planned out.

That, and yes, it's perfectly acceptable to permabox things instead of release them upon fainting, I do that all the time. Usually in a box marked 'Dammit' or something.
Links to Darren's Nuzlocke Saga!
COMPLETED RUNS
(RED)-(GOLD)-(PLAT)-(EM386)-(PLAT ENHANCE)-(YELLOW)-(EMERALD)-(CRYSTAL)-(DIAMOND)-(MANLY PINK)-Super Robot Wars J (Screenshot)
NidoNidoRama
Kanto-Johto-Clement's Manly Pink
Collaborations
Zeronos/Colonel Darren on Platinum(Walking the Path of Heaven)

Wander
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym
Sounds fine to me, I play using most of them. Repel is debatable, underwater is fine (different encounter tables= different route in my mind). Most people also box their 'mons anyways.
Completed Runs!

I've got a hack! Fire Emblem: New Elibe

Force Gaia
Member Avatar
thewetmop
Jul 12 2012, 08:53 AM
there are things in here I don't do personally (underwater a different area, using repels for better catches, multiple pokes in the safari zone) but I don't think you've made it to easy on yourself. These things are all minor compared to weather or not you use the BS clause (Dont! If you start out making rule exceptions its hard to go back) and how much you level. Considering you can technically grind as much as you want, a lot of the challenge comes from weather you keep your team close to gym levels(I recommend it) or not, not from how many guys you pick up in the safari zone.
What is the BS clause?

As i mentioned earlier one gym i will definitely be overleveled for is the mossdeep gym as Tate and Liza are evil
Posted Image

Nuclearinsanity
Member Avatar
Sarcastic Mr. Know-it-all.
Kind of Pussy rules, sorry bro.
Hey diddly doo gladiators again boobity boop

Hey I draw pictures sometimes and maybe make a comic eventually.

http://nuclearinsanity.deviantart.com

Force Gaia
Member Avatar
Nuclearinsanity
Jul 12 2012, 05:36 PM
Kind of Pussy rules, sorry bro.
I'm not sure if this is a troll or not.

Any suggestions on how to make them better?
Posted Image

SpectrumPanda
Member Avatar
j°shua | dun

Er, yes, you could call them Pussy rules.

But if you want to get technical, the bullshit clause is basically starting over any battle that you lost for whatever reason. Perhaps your opponent got three or four crits in a row. Perhaps your attacks missed four times in a row. I don't know what reasons one would have for applying bullshit.

Generally, it's frowned upon in Nuzlocke and is only used in difficult hacks or blind runs.
Posted Image

p°wer t° the l°cal dreamer

Tumblr | PokÚdex Completion Log | Moon Moon | Music thread | Photography thread

Friend code: 0946-2735-7506
Panpour | Poliwhirl | Quagsire

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Challenge Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply