Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Don't pass today's feature by! Also, let us know what your favorite Pokemon are!
Nuzlocke Comics
Welcome to Nuzlocke Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit. We're a community based off the popular "Nuzlocke Challenge", a way of playing the Pokemon video game series on a higher level of difficulty. What is it exactly? Join us and find out that, and more!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
[INACTIVE]An attempt at making a hard run of Europa Universalis III: Divine Wind. (MEIOU Mod.); I bet you don't even know what this is! :U
Topic Started: Jul 11 2012, 09:24 PM (1,996 Views)
Nurjan
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Hiyo. So I had an idea to do a nuzlocke-esque run of this game when I saw that fellow theoblivinator's Rome: Total War run. (danke for giving me the idea if you're reading this C:)

Anyway, I'm still tweaking rules and deciding which nation to run, and will be putting the former open for suggestions, and the latter up for votes. (as I'm also having friends I play the game regularly with vote as well.)

[Apologies off the bat for the really big images, I'll see about doing something with that.]

Posted Image

So what is Europa Universalis III: Divine Wind? And what the hell is a 'MEIOU'?

Well firstly EUIII, as its called for short, is a game by Paradox Interactive. Divine Wind is an expansion pack. MEIOU is short for Mihi Est Imperare Orbi Universo, and is the mod I'll be playing over the Vanilla version.

So for those of you who never heard of this game, the basic premise is to take one of hundreds of playable nation-states and guide it through the centuries. Yes, you read that right: one of hundreds. While the Vanilla game is was still lacking in tiny-ass city states, MEIOU takes things up to eleven and has extra, and more historically accurate, provinces and many nations otherwise left out. It also turned back the start date to 1356 A.D, putting the earliest playable date smack-dab in the midst of the Hundred Years War between France and England. This isn't your precious Civ, where cultures are represented as a united political entity despite being divided into feuding tribes, fiefdoms and city states for much of their history.

Random scrnshot

Play wise, its a grand strategy game. You have control over vast array of aspects of your country. Combat isn't like Total War or any of those games however; it involves ordering armies to move from province to province where they fight out battles based on various modifiers, such as moral, terrain, tech level, unit composition, and just plain old RNG. Outside of combat, you have a whole host of various interactions and means of developing your nation right up to the end date of 1832 (or when you're conquered and turn into a small blurb in the history texts :U).

moar :D

Now, for the rules I have so far (still being developed):

>No White Peace. (translation: No ending a war with the status quo)

This means I must always concede something if I'm on the losing end of a conflict and what to save my skin, and must also push my foes to give up something.
Exceptions are made for when I'm not leading a war and the head of the current alliance I'm sided with chooses White Peace, and in the event I get into a war with a country I just can't feasibly reach at the current time to wage war against. It happens, and normally the only way to get out of it is to wait for them to tire of not doing anything while incurring war exhaustion and finally White Peace.

>I can only claim one province per war.

This is a biggy, as it can seriously handicap my ability to expand under certain circumstances and otherwise just generally slow me down. "Oh you have claims on multiple provices? Sorry you have to take one, then wait five years for the truce to expire so you can declare war without penalties."

>If I lose an uncored province I can not retake it from the conquering nation via force of arms.

"Uncored? Wut?" Basically nations have cores, which are provinces that the nation is considered to have some legal claim to. Multiple nations can have a province consider their core, which leads to some... tension. If another nation has one of your cores, you can declare war on them with no penalties, and take that province without incuring whats known as infamy; a modifier which if you build up too much of will give you nasty side effects. D:! Because it takes a while for a province to become a core of your nation, this rule means that losing a war at a later date will make a previous annexation all for naught. THere will be other ways to regain that territory possibly, but it'll be a hassle.

>only one nation can be 'vassalized' per conflict.

A vassal in EUIII is, for lack of a better term, your bitch. They can be earned in variety of ways, but ones such means is to offer it to a nation as part of a peace treaty (assuming you're kicking their ass, otherwise you might be offering to become their vassal). What vassals do is give a chunk of their income and their manpower (reserves of fighting men available to reinforce your armies or for training new ones) directly too you. You're obliged to protect them, though they will always accept if you offer them an alliance offer, and also respond when you call on this alliance. They can declare themselves independent though this gives you a legal claim to go to war against them.

Obviously done my best to explain in game lingo and context of those rules there, I'll go in-depth with such things, and all the other facets of the game, when I actually start this. :D

Now for the choices of nations for this run:

THE SELECTION SCREEN :D

Yeah, everyone of those different coloured blobs is a separate nation, and playable. The game isn't just limited to Europe either, as nearly every nation in the world is playable, bar small tribes.

Austria

One of the easier nations to play, as indicated by the difficulty bar. I'm including it because this is probably an introduction to most people, and as such what better nation to play than the one whose ruling dynasty, House Hapsburg, gave us the anagram 'A.E.I.O.U' from which the mod's creator was inspired to name the mod after. :D

Castille

One of the Iberian Kingdoms which later formed Spain (an ingame option btw). Despite the mid-range difficulty rating, its considered by many vets to be one of the easier runs still, but I've never played it so its on the table.

Burgundy

No that is not a country named after a colour, it had a colour named after it. What's your claim to fame!? :U.

Brandenburg

Probably the highest rated difficulty of any of the tabled options. Shouldn't be too hard if I can form Prussia and then Germany. :I

Aragon

Another of the Iberian Kingdoms that historically formed Gondor Spain. Inb4moreLotRjokes The question is, will I be able to do that, or will I have to expand elsewhere?

Savoy

I'll have various options with this one, I can tell you that much. That and I'll constantly be watching out for France D:.

Poland

Polandball can into space? (sorry about this crappy image, I derp'd, and there's a few more like it)

Ottomans

Only non-Christian nation on the table, also the one that'll probably be most handicapped by the province related rules as it has a lot of initial conquest to do.

Muscowy

From Russia with Love.

Kiev

From Ukraine with love? (though, technically I can form Russia as Kiev, so...)

France

A steamrolling power ball of a country if it can win the Hundred Years War. Hopefully my limitations make it enough of a challenge then.

Flanders

Also a potentially interesting game. If I play my cards right.

England

More like Easyland, miright?!

yeah, one of the easiest countries in the game as even if it loses the Hundred Years War... well, Im sure you paid attention enough in your history classes to know that happened in real life, and what went on for the next 500 years:

"RUUUULE BRIIIIIIIITANIIA~ "

Holland

and last but not least, the Dutch. They start out under a personal union with a fucking tiny-ass Bavarian state. THat hat means their head of state is also mine, but since I'm under the union, I can't do fuck all diplomatically until they're disinherited from my throne. They also can potentially inherit my entire nation, thus incorporating it into theirs. That's a GG for me :/. If I break free from the shitty start situation I can become a powerhouse though. Cos Dem Dutch Capitalismz.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So yeah, that's that for now. I guess I'll get to this later, but still waiting on ideas from my friends. The final decision on country will be made tomorrow and assuming I don't get dragged into multi-player meiou I'll start it then as well. Otherwise, it'll be the day after.

Now, feel free to express your levels of interest in this new-fangled thing I present to you! :D
Edited by Nurjan, Jul 11 2012, 09:44 PM.
Current Runs! :D
Offline Profile Goto Top

PlayerOne
Member Avatar
♪ Hola oscuridad, mi vieja amiga...♪
Pick Charmander France.

I personally don't like MEIOU, I usually stick to Miscmods, Death and Taxes, or AzeriLP, but EUIII is still a good enough game regardless. (CKII rules 4 lyfe)

And shame on you for not making Byzantium a choice. My Romaphilia...
Edited by PlayerOne, Jul 11 2012, 09:34 PM.
Current Run: Steel and Psychic: A Medieval Pokemon CYOA
Offline Profile Goto Top

Aqua
Member Avatar
H-EY BLU-E BOY!!! CATC)(!!!!!!
Choose Ottomans.
Posted Image

Art for me by Awesome People

Check out my first documented Nuzlocke: [Complete]Zigzagoon Only Sapphire
Offline Profile Goto Top

Frozen_Flame
No Avatar
Derp
I had to register just to follow this properly. *is one of the people Jrock mentioned in the OP* Though I have no idea why anyone would do this madness, Grand Strategy Games are annoying enough without Nuzlocke rules! :psyduck:

To actually give you a chance in the beginning, a vote for Castille. i.e. Squirtle.

Though a Roman Empire run WOULD be torturous for this young padawan. They start off pretty nerfed, yet are a good candidate for one-province growth.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Zarb
Member Avatar
I live once more.
... I've never heard of this before, so pick France.
Completed Runs

Failed Runs

Posted Image
I'm okay with this.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Mutzy
Member Avatar
Derp
Brandenburg, why not suffer through the billions of provinces that are required to form the Holy Roman Empire? Also, from what I can remember most of the smaller nations only have one province, unless that has changed?
Offline Profile Goto Top

MikeVonTookie
Member Avatar
What has been seen cannot be unseen.
ALL HAIL BRITANNIA

Voting Castille for Mighty Spanish Empire.
Posted Image| Posted Image | Posted Image

Probably not getting done anytime soon.

My Completed Runs
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Nurjan
Member Avatar
@PlayerOne: As much as I'd love to do the Romans, that'd be essentially suicidal. Winning as them hinges entirely on whether or not Venice and/or Genoa answer your Call to Arms if when the Ottomans declare war, and relying on them to block the Bosporus with their fleet. :I
@F_F: Oh its you. Also obligatory 300 reference lolno... Oh hey, maybe I should try Archea lolno...
Maybe I'm just crazy. :v:

@Mutzy: Not only are most of those German states only a few provinces in Vanilla, MEIOU added more! Including about a dozen Free Imperial Cities that are one-province minors.

Anyway, Imma play things by ear. So there would be no guarantee on forming the HRE, or even Germany. >_>
@SMDW, Aqua, and Zarb: Hiyo, welcome aboard, and thanks for exercising your democratic rights :3

Current Tally

Well that's a tie for France and Castille! Moar votes plz. inb4Ihavetotiebreak inb4threeorfourwaytie
Edited by Nurjan, Jul 12 2012, 09:29 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

PlayerOne
Member Avatar
For those of you who haven't played EU3 before; both France and Castille are strong countries for starting the game with, but France has the bonus of early room for expansion and a shitton of vassals, whereas Castille has to either constantly pick at Aragon and Portugal, or wait until colonization.
Offline Profile Goto Top

MikeVonTookie
Member Avatar
What has been seen cannot be unseen.
Sounds like we want Castille then. Can't make this that easy. ;>_>
Posted Image| Posted Image | Posted Image

Probably not getting done anytime soon.

My Completed Runs
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Mutzy
Member Avatar
Derp
Based on your rules, Brandenburg seems to make the most logical choice, but it is up to the rest of the readers. I am more curious about how you'll show all the various data which is supplied for basically everything.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Hawkmoon
Member Avatar
Writer of the Sociopaths

Ottomans. Let's do this old school.
Beat runs

CURRENT RUNS!
GOING BEAST MODE ALL OVER UNOVA- PICK MY STARTER
EXPERT EMERALD MAKES A MAN OUTTA YOU

Both on mild hiatus until I get my saves from my home computer
I'D LOVE SOME ARTS!

Offline Profile Goto Top

Nurjan
Member Avatar
PlayerOne
Jul 12 2012, 10:09 AM
For those of you who haven't played EU3 before; both France and Castille are strong countries for starting the game with, but France has the bonus of early room for expansion and a shitton of vassals, whereas Castille has to either constantly pick at Aragon and Portugal, or wait until colonization.
Also with MEIOU they, France, start out at war with England :C

Also, thats +1 for Ottomans. Yup... Threeway tie. >_>;

@Mutzy: lots of screenshots >.>
Edited by Nurjan, Jul 12 2012, 10:19 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sofistication
Member Avatar
Derp
It's all about Savoyball <.<

But in the interest of helping to resolve the tie, Ottomans gmv. Drive the infidels back (one province at a time)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Nurjan
Member Avatar
@Sofistication: No, Screw you. You already voted Savoy over Skype last night. >________>

Anyway, rather than sit around and wait I just rolled between the present ties. The RNG has spoken... Vive la France.

*boots up game*

Edited by Nurjan, Jul 12 2012, 12:08 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Hawkmoon
Member Avatar
Writer of the Sociopaths

Bah, France
Edited by Hawkmoon, Jul 12 2012, 12:08 PM.
Beat runs

CURRENT RUNS!

I'D LOVE SOME ARTS!

Offline Profile Goto Top

Nurjan
Member Avatar
Well here it is. Hopefully this game doesn't end up boring or too easy. Its France, of course it will be easy. Who am I kidding.

Chapter 1: The Hundred Years War

Thats the first update, going to stop there for now, and do this in manageable but regular chunks. Some maybe a few hours apart at most. (I have plenty more from playing earlier already saved) For now, I hope that was an interesting introduction, that the images aren't too big for anyone's taste, and it wasn't boring or overwhelming.

also: If this turns out to be a simple France steamroll regardless, I'll probably switch countries btw. This is more of a test run of the rules anyway. :I
Edited by Nurjan, Jul 12 2012, 07:44 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Hawkmoon
Member Avatar
Writer of the Sociopaths

Dat France. I say go fuck with England.

Beat runs

CURRENT RUNS!

I'D LOVE SOME ARTS!

Offline Profile Goto Top

Zarb
Member Avatar
I live once more.
Vive la France!

... On a more serious note, this game confuses my brain.
Completed Runs

Failed Runs

Posted Image
I'm okay with this.
Offline Profile Goto Top

PlayerOne
Member Avatar
Zarb
Jul 12 2012, 07:49 PM
... On a more serious note, this game confuses my brain.
Paradox games look intimidating, but once you've played for a while, it all becomes much more simple.

This is a fantastic instructional Let's Play of EUIII (without MEIOU, mind you) which explains game mechanics excellently and in-depth.

Plus, it demonstrates just how powerful a human player can be:

Maps

The top is a map of the world, the bottom is a map of the country he played as, Castille, which then formed Spain, and its vassals (in darker yellow).

Yes, all that yellow is one country.
Edited by PlayerOne, Jul 12 2012, 08:41 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Inactive/Failed Runs · Next Topic »
Locked Topic