Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
The forums are back up! Read about the changes here.
Nuzlocke Comics
Welcome to Nuzlocke Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit. We're a community based off the popular "Nuzlocke Challenge", a way of playing the Pokemon video game series on a higher level of difficulty. What is it exactly? Join us and find out that, and more!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Hardest game to nuzlocke
Red/Blue 1 (0.9%)
Yellow 3 (2.8%)
Gold/Silver 2 (1.9%)
Crystal 1 (0.9%)
Ruby/Sapphire 2 (1.9%)
Emerald 5 (4.6%)
FRLG 10 (9.3%)
Diamond/Pearl 3 (2.8%)
Platinum 47 (43.5%)
SSHG 17 (15.7%)
BW 1 (0.9%)
B2W2 16 (14.8%)
Total Votes: 108
HARDEST game to nuzlocke
Topic Started: Feb 6 2013, 10:17 PM (10,893 Views)
LeopardWriting
Member Avatar

Not sure if there's a thread for this already, but in contrast to another thread I saw about the easiest game to nuzlocke, I 'd like t o ask about the most challenging games to nuzlocke. If you mention a hacked game also mention an original game, cause hack games are obviously harder to beat.

For me the hardest game of the ones I've attempted( Crystal, SS, Sapphire and B2), the hardest was Black 2. To be fair I was taking on the run blind and didn't know about the level spikes, but is was a challenge and I wiped on Victory Road.

Edited by LeopardWriting, Feb 6 2013, 10:18 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Burgess
Member Avatar
CHOMP CHOMP
Platinum. The gym leaders, in my opinion, are WAY more prepared for type advantages than any other games. Plus, of the three Nuzlockes I'm doing, it currently has the highest body count (and I'm positive the death toll's only going to rise). Though I haven't reached Cynthia yet, in my normal runs, she's proven to be the toughest Champion I've faced - I can usually sweep Gary, Lance, Steven, and Wallace with one or two Pokemon. With Cynthia, I usually have to use 4-6 Pokemon.
Edited by Burgess, Feb 6 2013, 11:24 PM.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Last Cursedlocke update: Feb. 5th. Last Smearglocke update: on hiatus

Hugin
No Avatar
Indigo League Champion
According to the "Bane of Every Nuzlocker" thread, Hoenn is the worst region by far. Which fits with my experience, the gyms have terrible coverage but are usually so broken it doesn't matter, especially since some of them have very little that's SE against them(Wattson).

Anthem
Member Avatar

Maybe Hoenn has more deaths on account of more people play it. RSE was the original Nuzlocke playthrough, after all.

My money would be on Platinum; I had three totally different teams throughout one game and I still wiped at the distortion zone.

...to Hoenn's credit I haven't beaten its league either, along with Sinnoh.

Zowayix
Member Avatar
Worst Luck Possible Nuzlocker
If you allow hacks, then for obvious reasons, any Metronome-only game. It's near impossible to complete without having to catch refills after every (dozen) wipes.

For just main series games, I'd say Platinum for the reasons mentioned above.
Current run:
Zowayix's Pokemon Ruby Worst Luck Possible Run
5/31/14: Update 60, Part 0 up!

Previous runs:
[COMPLETED] Zowayix's Pokemon Red "Gotta Catch 'em All" Worst Luck Possible Run
[COMPLETED] Worst Luck Possible II: A Golden Ray of Hope (up to Elite Four only, no Kanto)
[COMPLETED] Zowayix's Pokemon Blue Worst Luck Possible Run

Records list for most damage taken in one battle

The complete Worst Luck Possible Nuzlocke ruleset:
http://s7.zetaboards.com/Nuzlocke_Forum/blog/entry/3051169/6078/

Here's a link to a trollface emoticon if anyone needs one:
http://i47.tinypic.com/ckr5l.png

MystericWonder
Member Avatar
The second-place nuzlocker
For me, it's B2/W2 because it's kinda hard to get a lot of useful Pokemon early on (mainly b/c all of them happen to be in Floccesy Ranch) and there's only a few areas to catch them from, whereas you're able to get a full team very early on in Platinum.
Our Greatest Second Chance - A Platinum Storylocke

Current team (spoilers)

Gone (spoilers)

My deviantART account

ratikate
Member Avatar
ƪ(˘⌣˘)┐

I'm gonna make a guess for BW 2. I was playing challenge mode and blind, I'll give it that, but it was still surprisingly hard on a regular playthrough. I was actually initially nuzlocking but my catches were like... Sunkern and Purrloin, so it didn't go too well at Cheren's gym. A lot of the later trainers have great teams too iirc.

If not that, then Platinum. I just CANNOT Nuzlocke Platinum.
Edited by ratikate, Feb 7 2013, 01:10 PM.
Posted Image
Posted ImageI have an art thread too!Posted Image

toasterr
Member Avatar
[ass joke]
Platinum is quite hard, if only because the ingame movesets are considerably meaner than any other game, even on schmuck trainers. Giga Drain Zubat, anyone? It certainly caught me WAY off guard the first time I played. Also, Cynthia has the most diverse team of any Champion and the most broken pseudo-legendary in existence.

mdchan
Member Avatar
Autistic Furry

I haven't played B2/W2 yet, but out of the ones I have played since R/B/Y...

It's a tie between R/S/E (Hoenn) and Platinum (Sinnoh)...but not D/P (I breezed through Diamond, but struggled with Platinum).
Posted Image

Posted Image

Completed Runs

Failed Runs

Friend Code: 4785-5575-0704

manalord
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Platnium or Hoenn games for sure.... there not exactly nice to you... although R/S are signifactly easier then Emerald.
Posted Image
http://s7.zetaboards.com/Nuzlocke_Forum/topic/8781827/1/#new

^Made by cfbieker

EricStarstorm
Member Avatar
Writer of that one thing and that other thing

Agreeing with Platinum. Here's evidence:

Gym Leaders. Wake has a Gyarados with Waterfall, Maylene has a Lucario, and even Gardenia has a friggin' ROSERADE. Where the hell did she get a Shiny Stone?! I've only narrowly avoided death several times in my most recent 'locke of it, which is lucky because I'm going to get badge 6 soon.

Distortion World Cyrus. His levels are pretty fuckin' high, he has a team full of very strong Pokemon, and HIS GYARADOS HAS EARTHQUAKE. That Earthquaking Gyarados is a nightmare if you didn't get Rotom or something. The only easy way to beat him (which isn't even really easy): Stealth Rock. All of his 'mons are weak to it.

Cynthia. She has an incredible team (albeit mostly made up of Special Attackers), a GARCHOMP, too much coverage, and grinding in Victory Road to get on her level is nigh impossible. And that Stealth Rock that worked so well with Cyrus, Cynthia will laugh at, except for Togekiss. A good strategy is to use something that will boost your defenses to Special attacks, like Amnesia (and Iron Defense for the Garchomp).

Iron Island. Sure, it's probably the best grinding spot in the history of Pokemon, but it's full to the brim with Graveler that know Selfdestruct and, in some cases, Earthquake. Let's face it, you're gonna grind there--but that's not an easy task when it's pretty much a huge explosion hazard.

Route 210 north. Mostly due to Zac and Jen. That Raichu has Thunderbolt, and the Gyarados has Aqua Tail. The fog makes matters worse, but if you got Defog for some reason, that should solve that issue. You'll need something bulky to last very long there.

Feel free to argue any (or all) of these points.
Posted ImagePosted Image

My friggin' team, man

Most recent: Chapter 25 (Dungeons and Dragons) & Extra 3 (The Game Corner)

Credit to Prohawk on Serebii for the userbar, and Soapie-Solar on DeviantArt for the avatar.

If I see one more person misspell GyArados, I'm going to kill a puppy.

If you want to battle or add a Ground Friend Safari (with Phanpy, Diggersby and Marowak) to your list, add 0447-7222-5629! And don't run away screaming when you see my Mii.

Cone
Member Avatar
bear sempai ~<3

Nuzlock'd Platinum and Black 2 with no problem. Maybe I was lucky. :3
For me, I would say HG. At the normal run through the game was no problem, then I got to Red. Oh man, I never grind or train unnecessarily, so my team is always under-leveled. Who knew he could rape your team with Pikachu?
-Nick xoxoxox <33

AuraStorm13
Member Avatar
Explorer of Mysterious Dungeons
Black 2 Blind Nuzlocke. Freaking Ghetsis and Black Kyurem wiped my team, seriously, Ghetsis' Hydreigon is holding a Life Orb, which just turns it into a monster, and Black Kyurem's stats are outrageously high, the 2nd highest in the game, tied with White Kyurem and only surpassed by the almighty Arceus. Which I didn't know until he killed half of my team. Then Ghetsis challenged me out of nowhere and the theme really actually got to me, I did play Black 1 and it just was WTF! That may be because I went in Blind, but I've yet to beat Cheren in a BW2 nuzlocke without losing someone without grinding overly amounts or using stat boosting moves.
Absolute Zero my attempt at a Black 2 Nuzlocke Comic

Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Burgess
Member Avatar
CHOMP CHOMP
EricStarstorm
Feb 7 2013, 06:09 PM
Distortion World Cyrus. His levels are pretty fuckin' high, he has a team full of very strong Pokemon, and HIS GYARADOS HAS EARTHQUAKE. That Earthquaking Gyarados is a nightmare if you didn't get Rotom or something. The only easy way to beat him (which isn't even really easy): Stealth Rock. All of his 'mons are weak to it.
OH MY GOD AN EARTHQUAKE GYARADOS ARE YOU KIDDING ME. In my Platinum run, I'm currently in the Distortion World, and I've been hesitant to go ahead and battle Cyrus because I know his team's probably going to be the death of one or two of my 'mons. I'm kind of sad that I read your post (since part of this run's fun is that I've mostly forgotten Platinum, so it's almost as if this is a blind run), however, this gives me a little opportunity to protect my electric type.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Last Cursedlocke update: Feb. 5th. Last Smearglocke update: on hiatus

Jenza1202
Member Avatar
I've got Balls. Have you?
I totally forgot about Cyrus' Gyarados packing Earthquake! Sheesh - I hope Jitterbug the Jolteon is fast enough to outspeed it... or maybe I should box him and get out Sparta... maybe he'll have the bulk to withstand an earthquake and get him with a Zap Plate boosted Thunder Fang.

Clearly I need to rethink my strategy... but I'll sink Candice of Snowpoint first (yes i try to plan ahead of time)
May your life be like toilet roll... long and running out!

Spoiler: click to toggle

eworm
Member Avatar
Cheerful & Bright > Edgy & Gloomy

Wait, are you guys even serious? Hoenn is a walk in a park (except for Wattson sometimes) and I got to Victory Road in White2, few casualties, first (aka blind) run. I have yet to attempt to Nuzlocke Platinum though...

Still, the hardest game to Nuzlocke is Heart Gold/Soul Silver, no competition here. Very few trainers and no VS Seeker, so you have to grind on wild Pokes. Which are always at least 10 levels below yours, so it takes forever. Gym Leaders though, are tough and have such killers as Technician Quick Attack Scyther or Scrappy Miltank. Playing without Dupes Clause is even worse, I mean I love Rattata but gosh!
And that Togepi with SpA-lowering nature and Hustle, every freakin' time... But that's my luck, so doesn't really count.
Point is - this game was made for the PokeWalker thing, that's the only levelling method they provide you with. Or you can waste HOURS in the tall grass. I no longer even attempt to have a team of more than 3 Pokes. I have a life, you know.
Edited by eworm, Feb 8 2013, 09:22 AM.
3DS Friend Code: 2852-7554-5400, trainer Victor

Repel Trick 100% - The complete list of all encounters guaranteed with Repel Trick (all games)!

White NatLocke - Catch'em all, use a few and Headcanon Mindblowing [Screenshot OA run] - UNFINISHED

Posted ImagePosted Image

A Random Day
Member Avatar
SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER
Hoenn has never been a particularly difficult place to Nuzlocke for me. Unova, however, is another story. The only useful source of training fodder is Audino, and those are fricking annoying to find.
And after you beat Ghetsis,-which in himself is an exercise in frustration without serious overgrinding- the trainers suddenly jump to the mid-high 60s. I've had to call a bullshit clause five times in five minutes because my entire team wiped to a level 68 Purugly.

Kanto is relatively difficult, but Johto, providing you're not Grass monolocking, is a relative walk in the park. I have yet to beat Sinnoh, though, although it appears that my idea of Nuzlocking Platinum may not be such a good idea...
Edited by A Random Day, Feb 8 2013, 03:55 PM.
Posted Image

ON HOLD

Alice in Strings
Member Avatar
Am I too late?
Vega. Do I need to say anything else? I could mention the Mewtwomons that make up Gym 8 that are nearly gurenteed to take a life, or the unannounced killer Double Battle about halfway through the game, OR the Water type Gym, OR the 'mons with perfect coverage. I could also mention that grinding is nightmarish in Vega...

Platinum is another one that's hard, simply because you can be screwed over really easily by certain Gyms. Fantina and her Mismagius certainly counts (this is the third Gym, mind you), as does Cyrus' entire team...all three times you fight him.
Mentor of : Posted Image (Made by Yoshigali)
Completed Runs

Posted Image

EricStarstorm
Member Avatar
Writer of that one thing and that other thing

Alice in Strings
Feb 10 2013, 02:19 PM
Platinum is another one that's hard, simply because you can be screwed over really easily by certain Gyms. Fantina and her Mismagius certainly counts (this is the third Gym, mind you), as does Cyrus' entire team...all three times you fight him.
Actually, Cyrus isn't so bad the first couple of times. I slaughtered him both times with my Staraptor and Probopass. Only the Distortion World battle is really difficult.

Speaking of that Earthquake Gyarados from earlier, my Luxray totally tanked an Earthquake from it and OHKO'd with Thunderbolt :yay:
Posted ImagePosted Image

My friggin' team, man

Most recent: Chapter 25 (Dungeons and Dragons) & Extra 3 (The Game Corner)

Credit to Prohawk on Serebii for the userbar, and Soapie-Solar on DeviantArt for the avatar.

If I see one more person misspell GyArados, I'm going to kill a puppy.

If you want to battle or add a Ground Friend Safari (with Phanpy, Diggersby and Marowak) to your list, add 0447-7222-5629! And don't run away screaming when you see my Mii.

Aeyra
Member Avatar

I tried Nuzlocking Platinum and it screwed me over by Gardenia. XD I don't know what was so hard, really, but it was definitely much harder than Pearl. I wiped in that cave of Gibles because of the Gible I was trying to catch killing half my team with Dragon Rage, critting Take Downs, and then when I tried to get out of the cave after catching it, all the self-destructing Geodudes decided it was their turn to try and kill me! Yeah... =w=" Haven't tried again since.
Posted Image

Color Killz Competitionlocke!

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Challenge Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply