Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
All Hale the new feature! Also, let us know what your favorite Pokemon are!
Nuzlocke Comics
Welcome to Nuzlocke Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit. We're a community based off the popular "Nuzlocke Challenge", a way of playing the Pokemon video game series on a higher level of difficulty. What is it exactly? Join us and find out that, and more!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Need Nuzlocke Challenge Tips; New to Nuzlocke Challenges, looking for advice
Topic Started: May 8 2013, 08:22 PM (982 Views)
Ninja Klayr
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Pewter Gym
I've attempted a few Nuzlocke runs in the past, but have never been able to make it much further than the 2nd gym. I'm looking for advice on how to make a Nuzlocke run go fairly smoothly. First, I could use suggestions for which version would be best for a first time Nuzlocke challenge. I have a DS with Soul Silver, Pearl and Black versions, so I would like to decide which out of those would be best.

Also, it just seems to me like most Nuzlocke teams for any given version are going to be pretty similar. I mean, if you can only catch the first Pokemon per area (even excluding duplicate catches) you're most likely going to end up with a team of the most common pokemon. This would lead to my next question. I have a feeling that I am going to invoke the "No duplicates" rule just to avoid ending up with a team of my starter + 5 rattatas. Does the no duplicate rule count any pokemon you've ever caught or can it be made to just apply to ones you currently have left alive?

Anyways, I'm hoping for some good advice and am looking forward to starting a new Nuzlocke run soon.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

♠♣SlayerEnfiniti - Expert Nuzlocker ♦♥
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Olivine Gym
Of your choices, I'd say Black is your best bet. Grinding in Johto is terrible, and cartridge Pearl is slow as all getout. Seriously... What were they thinking with that speed?

As for cookie cutter teams, it's a little unavoidable at first. I mean, in Black, your first route is Patrat or Lillipup. Your second route? Patrat, Lillipup, or Purrloin. You can add a monkey if you'd like, but even with dupes clause you will have 4 of 5 possible Pokemon. On the bright side, after that things open up significantly. I wouldn't worry about it at the start. Once you actually have some choices, things get better.
Y Me? A Pokemon Y Alphabetlocke!

[IN NEED OF HackING HELP]Madcap: A Pearl Randomized Metronomelocke! - Oh dear, not again.

First ever graduate of Nuzlocke University - Flandre House!

Rumors
Member Avatar

Early route selections are all pretty similar, so yeah the variety won't be that much different until later. But, then again, in a regular run your team would also be pretty samey at the start too.

When doing a Nuzlocke, maintain a healthy amount of paranoia when it comes to battling, don't go into any major battle without a plan and a back-up plan, and really pay attention to your team's strengths and weaknesses, particularly any types that your team is poorly matched against. If you find yourself unsure about whether you can succeed at doing something or not, stop and consider all of your options. If still in doubt, pursue your safest option. Also, keep a healthy stock of healing items on hand. You don't need nearly as many pokeballs since your catches are much more limited, so why not put that extra cash to use?

Also, don't put a coverage move on someone and use them to counter a type they're weak against if you can help it. Sure, Nidoking can learn Thunderbolt, but if that Gyrados survives it and hits you back with Hydro Pump, you might not have a Nidoking anymore.

Edit: Oh, if you get a good defensive pokemon, it can be a great asset. Don't underestimate it because its offenses might be lacking. Having a good defensive pivot can save your team from a bad situation.
Edited by Rumors, May 8 2013, 08:50 PM.
Rumors' Breeding and Ball Requisition Shop

Posted Image
Extra 1: Parting Ways
11/10/14
Also a Bonus!
11/11/14

Come play the Nuzlocke Text Adventure!

Nate
Member Avatar
YES! YES!
I'd say either Pearl or Black. Black has a more difficult early game, but a very easy late-game, and vice-versa for Pearl.

Dupes clause is usually more than enough to make a pretty diverse team. Echoing what Slayer said on that point.

As for advice on Nuzlocking in general:

-The more you grind, the easier the game is. Some people avoid excessive grinding simply because they don't want an easy challenge. Either way is perfectly fine. Black makes it very easy to grind thanks to the frequency of Audino and the in-game Lucky Egg. Johto games are notoriously difficult to grind in due to the large discrepancy between Gym Leaders/Elite 4 and the wild pokemon that you'd grind on, in addition to having no easy way to re-challenge trainers that you've already beaten (the Pokegear requires them to call you, unlike the Vs. Seeker).

-Know the Pokemon to watch out for! It's a given that Gym Leaders are going to have the strong Pokemon. The key to having few losses is dealing with the normal trainers/wild pokemon that give big losses. In particular, looking at this thread may help with this.

-Know the moves to watch out for! Moves like Self-Destruct, Rollout, Pursuit, and Revenge have caused a high amount of losses. Losing a Pokemon to some random trainer's Machoke or a Spearow that caught you with Pursuit when you ran is a pretty bad feeling.

-Plan major battles. It's not cheating to look up the moves and Pokemon of the Gym Leader/Evil Team Boss/Elite Four member that you're about to face. Making sure you have Pokemon to deal with tricky Pokemon. For example, Protect absolutely beats Norman in Gen. III, and the Level 1 Togepi can beat Morty's Gengar in HG/SS with Awakenings.

Edited by Nate, May 8 2013, 08:53 PM.
Previous NuzlockesPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageUpdates every weekend!

DoctorGecko
Member Avatar
Out for a stroll

For your question about the dupes clause, it can actually be either or. The dupes clause is a rule that you can pretty much customize however you want. For example, in my last run I defined a duplicate as any Pokemon I had Pokedex data for. However you could also make it so that a Pokemon from an evolutionary line you own is a dupe, even if you don't own that specific Pokemon. Or, like you said, a dupe could be defined as any Pokemon you own that's still alive. Ultimately you should chose the interpretation that you feel works best for you, whether it makes it easier or harder.
Posted Image
(Banner created by the highly talented RTJGSketch)
Last Update - Chapter 23 - September 12th
Current Team - Chapter 23

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
-Douglas Adams

MegaQuack8
Member Avatar
In soulsilver if u go on the top route of no 1. U will find a geodude which can take out the first two gyms :wooper:

Krudler
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
I agree with Rumour, as far as big battles go, have a plan, and have a backup plan. In my runs, that usually means designating a pokemon that will lead for the duration of the gym, and having a second pokemon waiting in the wings ready to go in if things get dicey, or my "lead" pokemon dies.

Knowing what is super effective against what is important, but also knowing what isn't very effective against your pokemon can save you too. You don't always need something that is super effective against your enemy, you can get by using attacks that just hit for straight damage if your opponent cannot do much damage to you. This is true of Defensive buff moves as well, or debuffing your opponent's attack. (I've found Charm to be a life saver.)

A thing I like to do is think about how someone would potentially beat my team. This helps point out weaknesses in your team that you can address.

Always keep the following items in your stock: Antidotes, Potions (or super potions, hyper potions, etc...), Awakenings, late in game you're gonna want to switch to Full Heals instead of Antidotes or Awakenings for status moves and Full Restores for the Elite 4. For extra cash, sell things like revives, full revives, nuggets, etc. but since you won't lose many battles (if any), money shouldn't be a problem.

As far as the dupes clause goes, I've used it on my first few runs but I'm not using it now. In my opinion, the dupes clause is better than not having the dupes clause, so I'd go with a variant of that rule that makes you comfortable.

Also grind, grind, grind, grind. If you think you've done enough grinding, you haven't. You need to know you've done enough grinding. (Unless you're using a level cap)

Shuppeteer
Member Avatar
Rejected Muppet
Never EVER think "Oh yeah, it won't get a crit. X will take it out easily!".

The universe has a perverse sense of humor. If you're feeling paranoid, switch.
Posted Image
Last Update: 8/10/14 (Vince)

Completed Runs

Ninja Klayr
Member Avatar
I hate critical hits a lot of the time. I only seem to get them when it would make a wild pokemon faint and they always happen to me an inopportune times.

So basically, it looks like the trick is to over-prepare for all gym/elite 4 battles? I'm also trying to figure out how to best go about using my party pokemon. I know in the past I caught my rattatas and pidgeys when they were the first of an area, but avoided using them. I don't think this is a good idea since I don't have any sort of back-up plan in case I lose the one pokemon (my starter) which I have put all my efforts into leveling. I may try a strategy of leveling everything evenly a full party of 6 replacing my weakest link every time I get something better. I'm probably also going to look at gym/elite 4 parties more closely in my preparations and either go in with at least one pokemon that has a type advantage and is equal or greater level to the gym leader's pokemon or, if I don't have any type advantages, go in with a full team at least 5 levels higher than the highest level the gym leader owns.

I think I'm going to do black version for my next run. I've never really been able to get into gen IV and I love the Johto region, it is just hard to start a Nuzlocke there. Gen V added some really great pokemon which I hope I will be lucky enough to get for this run. I'm trying to come up with a creative name for my death box. I tried using Sovengarde on my last run, but the name was a few characters too long. Maybe I can find a creative way to abbreviate/misspell the box name I want? Also, I would like to record my run on these forums. What would be a good format for doing this? How much detail should I go into for my Nuzlocke log?

Jenza1202
Member Avatar
I've got Balls. Have you?
My advice is never think it's a sure thing... Fate will punish you for it eventually... you may get through a load of battles easily... but eventually the most innocent of things will slaughter most your team.

And if it knows Rollout - watch out. There is a Dunsparce on the second route of Black/White 2... and it can END runs.
Just brought myself a second hand 3DS so I can trade Mega Stones between my X and Y games.
Second Friend code: 3153-5909-0647 (named Nesbitt)
Safari Type: Steel - confirmed PokÚmon - Magneton and Metang.
If you want to add me, send me a PM with your friend code and I'll add yours ASAP.

Rumors
Member Avatar

How much you want to overlevel is up to you, but overleveling too much can make the game too easy and can be frowned upon if you don't have crazy rules that pretty much require doing it. Though I recommend not going in underleveled. Luckily, B/W have a well-thought out level curve for the main story so, other than getting your catches up to speed, you shouldn't need to do much extra grinding to stay on-par with your opponents so long as you go out of your way to beat up every trainer you see.

When preparing for the important battles, think about stuff other than simply type-advantages. Gen V gyms usually have a way to compensate for their disadvantages, for example. Rather, unless you're playing blind, look up the opponent's team and identify who would be a problem and work out a strategy to overcome it. For example, if they have something you completely wall by something else later who'd demolish your team, get someone out to set-up against the thing you wall. Or if your counter absolutely needs to outspeed a certain pokemon, try popping paralysis on the problem pokemon and then switching.

Remember, your pokemon are a team and they'll perform best if they're supporting each other and covering each other's weaknesses.

Oh, one more thing. In Gen V is the A.I. can get quite smart at times. However, it can be a little too smart for its own good. Typically, it'll spend a turn or two setting up, if applicable, and then using its most effective attack against whatever you have out. If you try setting up, they'll try to counter their set-up if they can. And if you try to drop their stats, they'll try to boost them back if they can. Once your HP gets to red, there's a good chance it'll either use priority (like Quick Attack), their most accurate move (like Swift), or a coverage move to catch you on a switch. While nothing is 100% certain, you can be pretty sure what the opponent's next move is once you get used to the A.I, which will let you do some neat tricks such as luring an electric attack into your Motor Drive Blitzle.

As for recording your run, well it depends. Do you like to draw? Try a comic. Like to write? Try a story. Like recording yourself? Try videos. Rather just toss some images and comments up? Try a screenshot log. There's likely a few other methods I'm not thinking of. As for how much detail, that's up to you. You can cover as much or as little content in every update as you please.
Rumors' Breeding and Ball Requisition Shop

Posted Image
Extra 1: Parting Ways
11/10/14
Also a Bonus!
11/11/14

Come play the Nuzlocke Text Adventure!

♠♣SlayerEnfiniti - Expert Nuzlocker ♦♥
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Olivine Gym
With Pokemon like Rattata and Pidgey, usually there's a niche use for them, and if you know it you can really rip through with them. For instance, Rattata's useless... until it learns Hyper Fang. It then proceeds to own everything until and after evolution. Gen 4 it also learns quite a few Dark-type moves, letting it take down Ghosts with ease. Lillipup, on the other hand, hits hard at first with a STAB 50 BP Tackle, but starts to fade fairly soon after. If you stick with it until it evolves, though, it definitely pays off.

With things like these, you can either depend on the interwebs/your fellow Nuzlockers, or you can just stumble through on your own, figuring out things as you go along.
Y Me? A Pokemon Y Alphabetlocke!

[IN NEED OF HackING HELP]Madcap: A Pearl Randomized Metronomelocke! - Oh dear, not again.

First ever graduate of Nuzlocke University - Flandre House!

Whimsy Knight
Member Avatar
The Hero of Pranking
I'd agree with the above posters and go with Black. Gen V's "higher level than opponent = less experience" part can get rather annoying, but it's leagues better than grinding Level 24 Gravelers for Clair's gym in Soulsilver or sitting through the super-slow load times in Pearl. Although, if you don't mind loading times, I would suggest Pearl, if only for the Underground and its free rare items.

I can't offer much more advice than what's already been said, but I will say one thing: never expect anything to go like you planned. I was going to have my Quagsire Hope take on Byron's Steelix in Platinum, for example, but she had already been paralyzed by his Magneton and was pretty low on health. I ended up switching to Quasimodo, my Bronzong that I thankfully had on hand, who walled Steelix and slowly defeated it with Extrasensory. I'll reiterate what was said before and recommend having a back up plan for any situation. It could save a virtual life!
By the power of Farore, I fight to defend this world from the evil Gastrodorf and defend the land of Hoenn-rule from the forces of darkness. I am Whimsy Knight!

Nuzlocke Runs

Whimsy's Other Adventures

Failed/Abandoned Runs

What Pokemon am I?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Challenge Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply