Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Avid run-watchers amazed by new finds from experts in the field.
Nuzlocke Comics
Welcome to the Nuzlocke Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit. We're a community based off the popular "Nuzlocke Challenge", a way of playing the Pokémon video game series on a higher level of difficulty. What is it exactly? Join us and find that out, and more!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Arena
Topic Started: Sep 15 2014, 05:23 PM (11,622 Views)
Bladez Overlord
Member Avatar
Buttersaur returns, but stronger

Alright, here is the Arena thread!

You make a gladiator in the other thread. (Locker Room 2)

You formally challenge other forum goers with gladiators, and then, after a judge is chosen (by stating they'd judge), the Arena is decreed Live.

Each person is given 3 posts to describe exactly how your gladiator trashes the other. After each person finishes all three posts from each side, with no attacks that will instantly cause death, someone will judge the battle. Afterwords, the winner decides how it ends.
Alternative Battle Formats
Edited by Bladez Overlord, Jan 30 2017, 05:38 PM.
I suck at Nuzlockes
Role play

Gif(s) of the week
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

EricStarstorm
Member Avatar
Pew to you, good sir.

Though the city outside is bustling, Broadway Theater is surprisingly dark. No one is inside at the moment, and not even the neon signs are lit up. The inside, despite the sounds of the city that would normally permeate the walls, is dead silent.

A single spotlight suddenly comes to life. It shines on nothing in particular until it turns to the left, towards the side of the stage. Once there, it shines directly on a man in a black cloak surrounded by three fairies. The fairies start vocalizing, and after a short while of it, the man tears his cloak off to reveal that he is Lance. The entire building suddenly lights up, and Cheshire is on the other side of the stage.

I heard you want to get together
I heard you want to rock these fools
I thought of something that is better
Something that changes all the rules

A drum set, a bass, a guitar, and several amplifiers suddenly appear on stage. Lance takes his staff and points it at Cheshire.

Why pretend we're all the same
When some of us shine brighter?
Here's a chance to find your flame
Are you a loser or a fighter?

Lance appears beside Cheshire on the third line, patting him on the head as he says "flame." He teleports back to his side for the fourth line.

Me and you, you and me
Why don't we see who is better?
We don't have to be one and the same thing
Oh, what's so wrong with a little competition?
Are you afraid of failing the audition?

The fairies vocalize to back up Lance's vocals as he sings. More lights start turning on as he does.

Battle! You wanna win it
Let's have a battle, battle of the bands
Let's have a battle, we'll go all in it
Let's have a battle, battle, battle
Battle of the bands!

On the beginning of this stanza, a crowd of fairies appears in the stands. As it continues, they become more and more angry at one another, starting from just giving each other the stink-eye and ending with full-blown arguments. However, as they don't seem to actually be there, they give off no emotions for Cheshire to absorb. A few seconds after he's done singing, Lance turns towards Cheshire, a confident and aloof smirk on his face.

So how about it, Cheshire? Or...are you scared that you might not be the best singer here?
Fun things

HyperAggron
Member Avatar
Just act natural...

Cheshire stares out over the audience, seemingly dumbstruck. After a minute, a bell chimes. The bell is followed by bass vocals and drums, the music is low and ominous. He looks over at Lance and rises a few feet off the stage.

I never thought much of your abilities; they're crude and unspeakably plain. But maybe you've a glimmer of potential... but bringing it through should prove too much of a strain.

The music picks up and Cheshire vanishes in a puff of smoke, reappearing next to Lance in another puff.

I know that your powers of retention are as strong as mud is clear. But thick as you are, pay attention, I'm about to set you screaming in fear.

Cheshire drifts above the audience and he flares outward, raising the temperature in the theater, but also slightly dimming the lights.

It's clear from your childish behaviour, the lights are not all on upstairs. But I shall gladly accept your challenge. Now it's time that you BE PREPARED!

On the last two words, Cheshire flies at Lance, veering away at the last second and settling back where he started.

Beauty before brains, Mage. Let's see what you've got.
Edited by HyperAggron, Oct 4 2014, 03:29 PM.
Posted Image
Saving the world, one fuck up at a time.

Tapu no Kokoro
Member Avatar
The Expressive Poker Face

Oh goodies a singing match. I call judging this.
These things exist

Posted Image

"Why not? Nothing to lose but my life... and I got that for free!"
―Setzer Gabbiani, Final Fantasy VI

EricStarstorm
Member Avatar
Pew to you, good sir.

Lance holds up a hand towards the stands, and the audience quiets down. Once they're completely silent, he holds his staff like a microphone and sings into the gem at the top.

As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I wear my crown of thorns and pull the knife out my chest.
I keep searching for something that I never seem to find.
But maybe I won’t, because I left it all behind.
Now I’m stuck with this, and that’ll never change
Always a part of me, until the very last day.

Where to go from here? What road to travel on?
I spent my whole life choosing, and I always chose wrong
Will I try to have the will to be alive?
Will I try because I’ve never seen the light?
Blow it to the ground and it’s now you see,
You spent your whole life taking the best of me!

With every line Lance sings, a circle of blue energy forms on the stage around Cheshire. After he's done with the second stanza, the circles erupt in ice crystals, forming a cage. The circles remain on the ground, freezing the air around the specter. Lance takes a scroll out of a pocket on his robes and begins charging it with energy as he continues.

Where’d you go? Where’s your home?
How’d you end up all alone?
Can you hear me now?
There’s no light, there’s no sound
Hard to breathe, when you’re underground
Can you hear me now? Hear me now!

With a great rumble, two enormous speakers appear behind Lance precisely halfway through the stanza. During and after the second half, the speakers fire waves of sonic-based magic towards Cheshire and the cage surrounding him.
Fun things

HyperAggron
Member Avatar
Just act natural...

Cheshire begins burning brighter and brighter, finally exploding into a white hot inferno and shattering the crystal cage. The flames engulf the speakers, melting the circuitry, and then freeze. A chain of ethreal fire balls, similar to Will'o'Wisps, dances out of the statuesque inferno and starts to wind around Lance. Two voices, similar to Cheshire's, start to sing two different songs.

Trust in me. Just in me. Shut your eyes and trust in me.
Poring over tomes and your precious scrolls, learning all the magic that you can.
You can sleep safe and sound knowing I am around.
Well books and scolls will burn, and your slight of hand is no more impressive than a children's show.

The chain continues to dance around Lance, swaying hypnotically, filling his body with a soothing warmth. and slowly edging him towards center stage.

Slip into silent slumber. Sail on a silver mist. Slowly and surely your senses will cease to resist.
Link by link, my chain is getting longer. Link by link, no way to make it shrink.
Trust in me. Just in me. Shut your eyes and trust in me.
Link by link, each beat a little stronger...

Lance is now standing in the middle of the stage, entangled in a web of white flame. The pleasant warmth turns to searing heat as the curtains start to catch fire.

Link by link by HORRIFYING--

The entire stage bursts into flame.

Pink text
White text
Edited by HyperAggron, Oct 3 2014, 07:33 PM.
Posted Image

EricStarstorm
Member Avatar
Pew to you, good sir.

Lance couldn't lie--despite his fondness for fire magic, he could certainly feel the intense heat that the flames were giving off. He was lucky he was so used to being around heat, or he wouldn't have been able to take it at all. He was still forced to his knees, his robes and skin charred.

However, even in the midst of the inferno, Lance knew that he was far from defeated.

On a cold winter morning, in the time before the light
In flames of death's eternal reign we ride towards the fight
When the darkness has fallen down, and the times are tough all right
The sound of evil laughter falls around the world tonight

In the midst of his song, Lance stands up amidst the fire. His staff glows as he thinks of a counterattack.

Fighting hard, fighting on for the steel, through the wastelands evermore
The scattered souls will feel the hell bodies wasted on the shores
On the blackest plains in hell's domain, we watch them as we go
In fire and pain, and once again we know

Lance conjures his signature wings and flies above both Cheshire and the flames. He prepares his next spell and his next stanza at the same time.

So now we fly ever free
We're free before the thunderstorm
On towards the wilderness our quest carries on
Far beyond the sundown, far beyond the moonlight
Deep inside our hearts and all our souls

Lance aims his staff skyward, and a white circle appears just under Cheshire. He then treats it like a microphone again.

So far away we wait for the day
For the lives all so wasted and gone
We feel the pain of a lifetime lost in a thousand days
Through the fire and the flames we carry on!

A beam of holy energy consumes Cheshire, vaporizing the part of the stage that he's floating above.
Fun things

HyperAggron
Member Avatar
Just act natural...

When the energy blast dissipates Cheshire is nowhere to be seen. Wisps of smoke start to gather around Lance, and Cheshire's disembodied voice begins singing yet again.

There's a face that we wear in the cold light of day. It's society's mask, it's society's way. And the truth is that it's all a facade!

The smoke thickens into a black cloud and a red light appears in it just inches from Lance's face.

There's a face that we wear til the nighttime appears and what's hiding inside behind all of our fears is our true self, locked inside the facade.

A hand with razor blades for fingers emerges from the cloud and starts slowly making a shallow cut from Lances right eye to his chin during the next verse.

That's how our little game is played - living out a masquerade. Acting a bizarre charade - while playing the saint.

On the word "saint" the cloud forms into Cheshire's outer darkness form. He begins wildly slashing at Lance, inflicting cuts of various sizes and depths all over his body.

Man is not one but two - he is evil and good - and he walks the fine line we'd all cross if we could!

He backs off and begins electrocuting Lance a la Emperor Palpatine with purple lightning.

It's a nightmare we can never discard, so we stay on our guard, though we love the facade. What's behind the facade?

He stops electrocuting Lance and speaks a final line almost too quite to hear.

Look behind the facade.

With that he returns to normal.

Full song
Edited by HyperAggron, Oct 3 2014, 08:29 PM.
Posted Image

EricStarstorm
Member Avatar
Pew to you, good sir.

Lance struggles to stand back up as Cheshire reforms before him. Damn it...my usual strategy isn't working. I gotta bust out my secret weapon... Lance suddenly has a fire in his eyes. Let's...get...JOVIAL.

Lance forcefully flaps his wings once and casts a wind spell, blowing out all of the flames and turning off all the spotlights at once. The stage is dark and silent for a moment...and then a spotlight turns on, directly above Lance. He no longer has wings, and although he is still wounded, the scars of battle are no longer visible. He starts off singing slowly, a strange sense of closure and warmth in his voice--like that of a mother telling her child a bedtime story.

Each one of us has something special
That makes us different
That makes us rare

Suddenly, the spotlight is replaced by a beam of white light that descends from the heavens...or the ceiling of the theater, anyway. Lance spreads an angelic pair of wings, and his eyes glow with golden light.

We have a light that shines within us
That we were always
Meant to sha-are

The song pauses for a moment as Lance spreads his wings further, conjuring several orbs of colored light. Though the color of the light differs between orbs, each one is warm. They rotate at a five-foot radius around Lance as he slowly floats higher and higher. As the song continues, Lance's voice is still gentle and not too fast-paced, but now carries a sense of triumph.

And when we come together, combine the light that shines within
There is nothing we can't do, there is no battle we can't win
When we come together, we'll be a star to light the way
It's inside us every day
See it nooow, see it nooow

The orbs' glow begins to brighten. Soon, each one is still noticeably tinted in its own color, but the light they give off is enough to illuminate the entire theater, and deviates only slightly from pure white. The orbs slowly float above Lance as he sings the next stanza.

Let the rainbow remind you
How together we will always shine
Let the rainbow remind you
That forever this will be our time

By the time the stanza is halfway over, the orbs have all combined into a single orb of varying colors. For the rest of the stanza, it simply grows in size. On the word "time," Lance launches the orb in an arc. After reaching the apex of its flight, it slams directly into Cheshire, leaving a rainbow trail in its wake.
Edited by EricStarstorm, Oct 3 2014, 10:29 PM.
Fun things

HyperAggron
Member Avatar
Just act natural...

Cheshire lays in an aisle of the theater, his body flickering in and out of existence, his flames guttering. Hope... Joy... Love... The dying specter's right hand transforms into his Blade of Sorrow and his body ceases flickering. He is surrounded by a faint blue aura. His left hand becomes the Trident of Hatred and his eyes and mouth begin to glow blood red. However, his flames still flicker with a weak yellow light. Cheshire rises into the air and stares Lance down, the light from his face bathing the stage in red. Hope... Joy... Love... Only a fool would put their faith in such flawed and pathetic emotions. But then again, look who I'm talking to. White smoke starts to fill the theater and the lights dim. A landscape of shadow and vapour forms around the combatants, placing them in a fake prison filled with desperate looking people. An echo of trumpets and drums begins and the shadowy people begin to surround Lance. Cheshire closes the gap between Lance and himself and, using the flat side of his blade, slams Lances face into the ground.

Look down! Look down! Don't look 'em in the eye.
Look down! Look down! You're here until you die.

One shadow pipes up in the crowd. "The sun is strong - it's hot as Hell below."
Cheshire sets Lance's shirt on fire.

Look down! Look down! There's twenty years to go.

Another shadow: "I know she'll wait. I know that she'll be true."
An invisible hand grabs Lance's hair and pulls his head up to face Cheshire, who spits a glob of searing-hot blood in his eye.

Look down! Look down! They've all forgotten you.

A third shadow speaks up. "I've done no wrong. Sweet Jesus, here my prayer!
Cheshire knocks Lance down again.

Look down! Look down! Sweet Jesus doesn't care.
Look down! Look down! Don't look 'em in the eye.
Look down! Look down! You're here until you die.

The shadowy figures swarm Lance, beating out the flames on his back and dabbing at his eye. A couple attempt to shield him from Cheshire. They begin singing in unison.
"Look down and show some mercy if you can."
Cheshire reaches through them and drags Lance to his feet.

Look down! Look down upon your fellow man!

He tosses Lance into the air and into a coffin. The shadows scream as they are warped into chains that begin sealing the coffin.

Look down! Look down! You'll always be a slave.
Look down! Look down! You're standing in your grave.
Edited by HyperAggron, Oct 4 2014, 10:23 PM.
Posted Image

Tapu no Kokoro
Member Avatar
The Expressive Poker Face

Amy and Ophelia are on the stands, watching. Amy is viewing the fight and filming it with a camera.

I love this. This is going on YouTube.

I wish I have heard of these songs beforehand, though.

This is why we have the Internet, Ophelia.

Judgment Time
These things exist

Posted Image

"Why not? Nothing to lose but my life... and I got that for free!"
―Setzer Gabbiani, Final Fantasy VI

HyperAggron
Member Avatar
Just act natural...

(Eric and I collaborated on this duet via Skype)

The illusion fades, leaving only Cheshire and Lance on stage. The former looks balefully out at the audience. Are you serious?! Do you honestly expect me to accept being put on the same level as THAT?! Cheshire drags Lance to his feet and stares at him for a moment.

I hope you're happy
I hope you're happy now
I hope you're happy how you're ruined us together
I hope you think you're clever

He lets go of Lance and starts backing away from him.

So though I can't imagine how
I hope you're happy right now

Ahh, come on, Cheshire! You really need to have a better outlook!

Lance teleports beside Cheshire and wraps an arm around his shoulders before withdrawing it after remembering that Cheshire is perpetually on fire. Instead, he simply clears his throat and starts talking much faster than before. Though the world is so full of a number things, I know we should all be as happy as. But are we? No, definitely no, positively no. Decidedly no. Mm mm. Short people have long faces and long people have short faces. Big people have little humor and little people have no humor at all!

Cheshire looks sideways at Lance. Are you really going to do this?

Lance only smiles and taps his staff on the ground, causing a slightly worn fedora to appear on his head. He spins around on his feet a few times, ending up in front of Cheshire.

And in the words of that immortal bard
Samuel J. Snodgrass, as he was about to be lead
To the guillotine:

Make 'em laugh
Make 'em laugh
Don't you know everyone wants to laugh?
(Ha ha!)

After singing the final word, Lance looks at Cheshire expectantly.
Cheshire sighs deeply and mumbles the next line.

My dad said
"Be an actor, my son
But be a comical one"
They'll be standing in lines
For those old honky tonk monkeyshines

He gestures to Lance who continues to goad him on. He folds his arms and half-assly sings some more.

You can study Shakespeare and be quite elite
Or you can charm the critics and have nothing to eat.

He swipes at Lance's legs and trips him.

Just slip on a banana peel
The world's at your feet.

The two of them sing the last line in unison.

Make 'em laugh, make 'em laugh, make 'em laugh.
Make 'em laugh! Make 'em laugh! Make 'em laugh!

Make 'em...

As Lance begins the next stanza, his staff suddenly gains a mind of its own, and he's lifted into the air by his own magic. It slowly drags him forward, and he mimes walking and then swimming as he goes.

Make 'em laugh
Don't you know everyone wants to laugh
My grandpa said go out and tell 'em a joke
But give it plenty of hoke

Cheshire, clearly starting to get into the act, flies alongside Lance and begins juggling fireballs, purposely fumbling and singeing Lance once or twice.

Make 'em roar
Make 'em scream
Take a fall
Butt a wall
Split a seam.

You start off by pretending
You're a dancer with grace
You wiggle 'till they're
Giggling all over the place
And then you get a great big custard pie in the face

As soon as he's done with his stanza, Lance's magic suddenly sputters out, and he lands face-first onto the floor. He looks up, completely uninjured, and he and Cheshire sing the next line together.

Make 'em laugh, make 'em laugh, make 'em laugh.
Make 'em laugh! Make 'em laugh! Make 'em laugh!

Cheshire prepares to sing his next few lines, but before he can, a tomato hits him in the face and explodes in red goop. He turns to find the source of the tomato, only for both his and Lance's eyes to widen in surprise when they see that each and every fairy in the stands has their arms filled with tomatoes. In perfect unison, each member of the crowd takes a tomato and prepares to throw it.

...I think we should leave.

For once I agree with you.

Before they can take even one step, however, the fairies open fire. A tidal wave of tomatoes makes the air thick with their presence, each of the fruits heading straight for one of the two singers. In a panic, Lance slams his staff on the ground, and he and Cheshire disappear just as the theater is flooded with tomato juice.

(And thus the first battle of the new Arena thread - and the first ever musical Arena battle - comes to a close.)
Edited by HyperAggron, Oct 6 2014, 04:03 PM.
Posted Image

Backstroke of the West
Member Avatar
Nooooo!

Derenor rides into the clearing on his black steed. He sees nothing in the green pastures of the Great Plains. Sorry, Archon. I can't find this thing your talking about at all. Just what is it, and why do you want us to kill it? He said nothing after that, holding his hammer halfway in between the head and the end.

Bladez Overlord
Member Avatar
Buttersaur returns, but stronger

New match option.
The match starts with anywhere from two to four combatants, in a free for all battle. Each person gets to attack once per round and once everyone has moved, the judge will award a point to whoever had the best attack. First to three points would win.
I suck at Nuzlockes
Role play

Gif(s) of the week

FireCrimson
Member Avatar
can someone explain to me what im doing

Archon looks around warily.
I honestly have no idea what it is. But it's been terrorizing nearby farmers, so we're going to stop it. They couldn't even give a good description, they were so terrified.
Edited by FireCrimson, Oct 6 2014, 06:08 PM.
Posted Image

EricStarstorm
Member Avatar
Pew to you, good sir.

A sound not unlike crashing thunder resounds near the two gladiators. The ground begins to rumble violently as the air itself begins to ripple. After about thirty seconds, a massive portal opens in front of the warriors. An enormous set of front legs that appear to be somewhat like a cross between a spider's and an elephant's pulls itself through the portal, along with a head nearly as big as the portal itself. It has a top jaw and then two armlike mandibles for a bottom jaw, each of which ends in large stones. Behind the jaws, the monster's teeth are massive and almost swordlike. Its head is covered in spikes.

As the beast tries to move further through the portal, however, it gets stuck.

With its front legs and head through the portal, it sniffs the air briefly and looks down at the warriors. It lets out a feral roar and prepares to crush them underfoot.
Fun things

Backstroke of the West
Member Avatar
Nooooo!

WRATH OF TAMBORA!Derenor dismounts his horse and raises his hammer above his head. Streams of magma erupt from under the gigantic beast. The effect was uncertain, but the lava soon returned to the ground, leaving only small singes on the onion grass. After that, Derenor hits the hammer on the ground and creates armor that looks like one single stone, flexible enough to move freely, but hard enough to resist all but the hottest flames.

FireCrimson
Member Avatar
can someone explain to me what im doing

Archon dodges out of the beasts way, and sizes up his opponent. After thinking for a bit, while keeping a safe distance, he decides on a plan.
Archon harassed it with quick cuts and swipes, then jumping back to an area it couldn't reach, sensing for any weaknesses.
Edited by FireCrimson, Oct 6 2014, 06:28 PM.
Posted Image

EricStarstorm
Member Avatar
Pew to you, good sir.

(Ganon, the beast is supposed to go before the gladiators take a second action. After this post, you can decide if you want to keep what you just did as a second action or write a new one.)

Archon's swords do make a dent, but they do not appear to harm the beast--the skin on its legs is as hard as stone. Meanwhile, Derenor's attack did injure the beast and leave severe burns on its chin. However, this only serves to make it angry. It rears up and slams both of its feet into the ground, causing fissures to spread like wildfire across the ground. With another roar from the beast, the crevices widen, and both Archon and Derenor are swallowed by the newly-formed chasms' depths.
Fun things

Backstroke of the West
Member Avatar
Nooooo!

Derenor fell down the crevice. He hit the bottom hard on his feet. He laid his hammer down with the head near the edge of the cliff. The center gem glowed orange. The activation of the crystal let him scale the face with ease. He faced the behemoth with the large hammer. He sprinted full force at him. He jumped and hit him square in the face with it. The shockwave flung him skyward, but he landed without any broken bones.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Role Playing Games Archive · Next Topic »
Add Reply