Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
The Pride Month Create-a-thon has now begun! Don't forget to check out Featured Fan Runs - this run really shouldn't be Lost in the Stream!
Nuzlocke Comics
Welcome to the Nuzlocke Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit. We're a community based off the popular "Nuzlocke Challenge", a way of playing the PokÚmon video game series on a higher level of difficulty. What is it exactly? Join us and find that out, and more!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Peaceful Days - a Chao Garden OA; (4/7) Invisible square trees
Topic Started: May 8 2015, 03:05 PM (12,759 Views)
Posted ImageGoGoGogoatPosted Image
Member Avatar
If you're scared, I'm on my way
Posted Image

It's time for a new adventure!

But first, need to clear up a few things. (updated 12/14/16)

Okay, so Sonic Adventure 2 is a fun game, but it's also dated as hell. Although I personally enjoy all three gameplay types (Sonic/Shadow stages are still best though), the camera is clunky, the controls are kinda awkward (especially on PC, I'm playing with the freaking keyboard), and the cutscenes and voice acting are baaaaaaaaaaad. Still a fun game, but it's not the main reason we're here.

The Chao Garden was included as a side feature in both the Sonic Adventure games, but frankly it's even more fun and replayable than the main event. Chao exist in a sort of alternate dimension called the Chao World, which consists of the various Gardens. In this world you can raise multiple Chao, and the way you raise them determines their appearance, behavior and personality. Also, Chao are adorable, and hence playing with them pretty much never gets old.

So let's raise some together! I encourage viewer input on any and all aspects of raising Chao, including names, suggestions for which stats to raise, alignments, altering appearance, buying items, and so on. Since this journey could go on pretty much forever without some limit, I'm also going to set an ultimate goal of creating a Chaos Chao. I've never done it before and it's challenging, but hey, we've got all the time in the world!

Let's jump in!

Table of Contents

Let's find a peaceful world
Posted Image

Last update - (5/31) Interlude #06: Rust // Q+A open!

Current team (spoilers!)

Posted Image

Not dead, I promise...

Posted Image

Last update - (1/22) | A compendium of my past and present projects. Check it out!

"So long as you always maintain a sense of exploration, you will someday find the way out. This is my hope."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dray
Member Avatar
She's a pretty lady!
Ah, sweet! The Chao Garden! I've never actually played SA2 (Or One. Or any Sonic game), but I've heard nothing but good things about the Chao Garden. Perhaps you could, ah, give us a better look at the Chao, though? I can barely see 'em, and I certainly can't see the slasher smile you described. What in-game benefits do Chao bestow?

And as for names... Cream and Cheese are overdone. Romeo and Juliet should really be saved for a red/blue pair, assuming such a thing exists. So my final name suggestion is... (drumroll)

Pata & Pon.

HappyMaleMarf
Member Avatar
skarmory is the worst
The chao garden was always the best part of Sonic Adventure 2. ALWAYS!

time to lurk this forever
i'm not good at pokemon

Posted ImageChessPosted Image
Member Avatar
Blep
Toothy needs to be a hero chao. That's about it.
Posted Image

You're a cool person

Finished OAs are fun

Master Bryss
Member Avatar
#teamheadsucker.hsk

I find it deeply amusing that you managed to REVERSE the 'Rouge Angles of Satin' situation. I'll throw in Biggs and Wedge as name suggestions.

EDIT: Apparently, my brain now autocorrects the word Rouge to Rogue in every conceivable circumstance.
Edited by Master Bryss, May 9 2015, 05:57 AM.
Current Main Projects (France v Spain has two links, woo):
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Not read any of my stuff? Read this first!

Magic Within

♠♣ Mattman324 ♦♥
Member Avatar
COME ON AND SLAM! AND WELCOME TO THE JAM
Robotnik is great for the Chao Garden if you're watching his animation and listening, he jackhammers Chao to cuddle them and he looks extremely fucking silly running around (and his dialogue is hilariously hammy short words). Actual gameplay, eh. But with that said, MAKE SURE to at least play the game until you get the dig parts for Rouge or Knuckles, there are things you can find digging in the Chao Garden (like everyone's favorite type of hat)

I'm seconding Biggs and Wedge by the way.
Edited by Mattman324, May 8 2015, 04:25 PM.
In Which Mattman324 Tries for 100% Completion of: Pokemon Conquest
FAKEMON VS NAZIS, BAD HACK BOOGALOO: Pokemon Zaru
KOROSU KOROSU KOROSU KOROSU (The sequel to Pokemon Outlaw)

29 Perfect nuzlockes. 142 caught in one of them. SAIKYOU NO NUZLOCKER

My most recent one? An event run!

X-Naut
Member Avatar
Because Garon's a dick.
Algae
May 8 2015, 03:24 PM
Toothy needs to be a hero chao. That's about it.
Seconding this.

Name the smiley one Fang and the other one Mighty.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Let's play FE6 again but with FE10 stats. On Hard. (COMPLETE)

On indeterminate hiatus

Retired Coach of the New Jersey Dwebbles. Record: Runner-Up (Season 2), Champion (Season 3), Runner-Up (Season 4), Semi-Finalist (Season 6)
Avatar is from ghast's "This is what happens in Fire Emblem ____" series.

🌈 WPS 🌈
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
First two chao should always be a Hero and Dark, so you unlock the other two gardens as fast as possible. Seconding Toothy as the Hero.

I usually get chaos drives from Tails and Eggman's first levels, animals are faster but I prefer to have my chao with only specific animal parts.

Even if you do raise one with hero and one with dark, make sure not to neglect them with the opposite alignment, or they'll resent the characters and possibly each other. Alternatively, leave one in school when raising the other.

Also go and find their stat ranks before we decide how to raise them!

Posted Image
Blessings be upon this run.
Posted Image
My first run of a game - Now in progress!

My Tumblr
Posted Image
If you have any female Fossil PokÚmon still sitting in your 5th gen Entree Forest, let me know! I'm looking for fossil pokemon that I can breed in certain pokÚballs.

OblivionRayquaza
No Avatar
Derp
Name it Potato. Wynaut?

Following

Posted ImageGoGoGogoatPosted Image
Member Avatar
If you're scared, I'm on my way
Replies

Choose your destiny
Posted Image

Last update - (5/31) Interlude #06: Rust // Q+A open!

Current team (spoilers!)

Posted Image

Not dead, I promise...

Posted Image

Last update - (1/22) | A compendium of my past and present projects. Check it out!

"So long as you always maintain a sense of exploration, you will someday find the way out. This is my hope."

Master Bryss
Member Avatar
#teamheadsucker.hsk

And so, Biggs and Wedge begin to undertake a series of life changes that will alter the landscape of their friendship forever... or something.

I wish I could be playing a good pet sim where stats actually have some merit...

Give 'Quartz' an animal to play with that will cause him to develop a red nose.
Current Main Projects (France v Spain has two links, woo):
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Not read any of my stuff? Read this first!

Magic Within

♠♣ Mattman324 ♦♥
Member Avatar
GoGoGogoat
May 9 2015, 01:23 PM
If you need me, I'll be either saving the world or destroying it. Depends on my mood.
If you had the power to be a god or a devil, what would you do?

Anyway, a B is typically good enough to get through all the normal races with time and effort put into the Chao, so Wedge should take Running and Biggs should take Power.

Dray
Member Avatar
She's a pretty lady!
This isn't specifically relevant to the Chao Garden, per se, but isn't Team Dark Shadow, Rouge, and E-123 Omega? What's Eggman doing there? Has Omega not been built yet, or was he destroyed, or are the teams not actually teams in this game? All of my Sonic knowledge comes from Heroes and poorly-made sprite comics.

♠♣ Mattman324 ♦♥
Member Avatar
Dray
May 9 2015, 05:23 PM
This isn't specifically relevant to the Chao Garden, per se, but isn't Team Dark Shadow, Rouge, and E-123 Omega? What's Eggman doing there? Has Omega not been built yet, or was he destroyed, or are the teams not actually teams in this game? All of my Sonic knowledge comes from Heroes and poorly-made sprite comics.
Heroes was the game after Adventure 2. It was the game that introduced Shadow and Rouge to the franchise as well.

It'd be better for you to go look up the plot of the game elsewhere.

Vernatio
Member Avatar
"So thou thought thou couldst elude me, fool."
Oh man, the Chao Garden. My first game for the GBA was Sonic Advance, and I played the hell out of it, enjoying the chao garden and having absolutely no idea that there was anything more to it. Later I got this for the gamecube, and had my mind blown. Though, looking back, City Escape and the Chao Garden were really fun (and still are), but I really don't like the rest of the game.

Also, once you get done feeding animals and nuclear waste to those toddlers, you should set Biggs to the fighting circuit, and Wedge to the underground baby races.

Joking aside, great OA, I'm tuned in :)
Edited by Vernatio, May 9 2015, 11:43 PM.
Current Runs

Undocumented Runs

Completed Runs!

🌈 WPS 🌈
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Hero Run and Dark Power, huh...

Both those types of chao have pretty cool looking arms, but no patterns on their feet and unimpressive wings, so I think you should give them both bird parts. Maybe Peacock for Wedge and Parrot for Biggs?

Also, try to raise all their stats at least a little, at least until they both have 50 points in run and 100 points in swim (enough to walk and not drown, respectively). I don't think staying in the pool actually has any negative effect, but the drowning noise is so annoying. I find a haul of 2 chaos drives of each type + 2 more for the intended stat works well.

As for future chao, you definitely need to try and get some twotones going on. Sadly the PC port of SA2 doesn't have as many cool breeds, since Jewel Chao are unobtainable, Shiny Two-Tones are overly bright and thus you lose the patterns unless they're dark aligned, and Shiny Jewel chao are both unobtainable and no longer as cool.
Posted Image
My first run of a game - Now in progress!

My Tumblr
Posted Image
If you have any female Fossil PokÚmon still sitting in your 5th gen Entree Forest, let me know! I'm looking for fossil pokemon that I can breed in certain pokÚballs.

♠♣ Mattman324 ♦♥
Member Avatar
WPS
May 10 2015, 04:30 AM
Both those types of chao have pretty cool looking arms, but no patterns on their feet and unimpressive wings, so I think you should give them both bird parts. Maybe Peacock for Wedge and Parrot for Biggs?
Every Dark Chao must have no legs because of Bats, every Hero must have Phoenix wings.

SoundsLikeATornado
Member Avatar

Just remember to also throw in the skeleton dog-things so they can wear hats as well.

(also, I really hope you get to raise a normal/swim chao at some point, they are hilarious. :scallop: )

♠♣ Mattman324 ♦♥
Member Avatar
SoundsLikeATornado
May 10 2015, 09:29 PM
Just remember to also throw in the skeleton dog-things so they can wear hats as well.

(also, I really hope you get to raise a normal/swim chao at some point, they are hilarious. :scallop: )
I am reasonably certain Skeleton Dogs are not required to make Chao able to wear hats, because I've raised entirely Hero Chao having never used the things. (they're rare anyway, since most of them are really well hidden and only on specific stages, the only one of the three Dark animals I find with any regularity seems to be Bats)

But since we're on the subject of hats, I noticed you were keeping the eggshells around.

Miki-chan13
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym
Ah, the Chao Gardens! I've only played in the Chao Gardens in the first Sonic Adventure game but they're so much fun! My most prominent Chao has always been Aiden whose best stat is flying from the blue jays, parrots and peacocks I give to him <3

I really like what you're doing here and I'm glad I started reading this :)
Posted Image[/spoiler]

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Other Adventures · Next Topic »
Add Reply