Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Featurettes are back!
Nuzlocke Comics
Welcome to the Nuzlocke Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit. We're a community based off the popular "Nuzlocke Challenge", a way of playing the Pokémon video game series on a higher level of difficulty. What is it exactly? Join us and find that out, and more!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Challenge Discussion Resource Thread and FAQ; Have a Nuzlocke-related question? Get answers here!
Topic Started: Aug 22 2015, 12:36 AM (3,453 Views)
Posted ImageXerxosPosted Image
Member Avatar
xerx gon give it to ya
When Ruleset Discussion was split off of the main Challenge Discussion subforum, the old FAQ thread, which also housed Nuzlocke variant suggestions, was moved to Ruleset Discussion and subsequently closed due to sharing one of its main purposes with the newly-made aforementioned Ruleset Discussion subforum. That action, however, made it so that there was no longer a general Nuzlocke FAQ thread. Here's the replacement! Feel free to ask any Nuzlocke-related questions here, whether they pertain to the gameplay side or the creative side of the challenge.

This thread will also serve as an index of useful Challenge Discussion topics, as you'll see below. If there's a topic that you think should be listed here, make sure to either PM a member of the staff or post your suggestion here. Keep in mind, however, that only threads that may be used as resources for Nuzlockers will be linked here; while Whine About Your Nuzlocke and Nuzlocke Hall of Fame are certainly fun, popular threads, they aren't nearly as helpful to aspiring Nuzlockers as, say, Harsh Team Choices or The Bane of Every Nuzlocker Competition.

Tips, statistics, strategy guides, and more: topics that help with the gameplay side of Nuzlocking

Scripting, clichés, inspiration, and more: topics that help with the creative side of Nuzlocking

Remember to check the pinned topics! They're there for a reason.[edit_reason]Minor text fixes[/edit_reason]
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

11wildy
Member Avatar
Indigo League Champion
The question I have is for RSE. I'm picking Treecko as my starter, but I wonder how I am going to beat Wattson if I do not get lucky with a Shroomish, Geodude or Makuhita. I'm not allowed to grind higher than level 25 for him, so is it even possible with any other Pokémon?
Finished runs

Current run: None

Luigifan876

YOU HAVE ENOUGH SKILL ALREADY

lesbian xion
Member Avatar
xion is best girl
11wildy
Dec 16 2017, 06:00 AM
The question I have is for RSE. I'm picking Treecko as my starter, but I wonder how I am going to beat Wattson if I do not get lucky with a Shroomish, Geodude or Makuhita. I'm not allowed to grind higher than level 25 for him, so is it even possible with any other Pokémon?
yeah a lot of that is gonna depend on what your team is at that point. grovyle can learn rock smash to do some damage to his magneton, but it's only... 40 BP i think in RSE? anyway, it's going to depend on what your team is around that point, though it shouldn't be too hard to grab a geodude? just go around smashing rocks and you should get one

Kirimiya
Member Avatar
Stream of consciousness

lesbian xion
Dec 16 2017, 10:18 AM
11wildy
yeah a lot of that is gonna depend on what your team is at that point. grovyle can learn rock smash to do some damage to his magneton, but it's only... 40 BP i think in RSE? anyway, it's going to depend on what your team is around that point, though it shouldn't be too hard to grab a geodude? just go around smashing rocks and you should get one
Rock Smash is 20 BP in Gen III, and Rock Smash can't be used outside of battle until Wattson is defeated.
It's a tying streak
It's a moment of victory
It's a loss, unlike any you've felt before,
And it lasts a lifetime

Member Avatar
xerx gon give it to ya
The failsafe is usually Flamethrower Loudred. Whismur is a guaranteed catch, and as long as you make sure it survives until Watson, you can majorly increase your odds of beating him by scrounging up enough Game Corner coins (4000, I think) to purchase the Flamethrower TM. It's probably best to give it a Cheri Berry to avoid parahax.
Project Menu
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

New to the forum and not sure how things work? Need a thread moved or a poll taken down? Having a rough time with your Nuzlocke run and need help? PM me!

lesbian xion
Member Avatar
xion is best girl
Kirimiya
Dec 16 2017, 11:15 AM
lesbian xion
Dec 16 2017, 10:18 AM
11wildy
Rock Smash is 20 BP in Gen III, and Rock Smash can't be used outside of battle until Wattson is defeated.
oh woops. this goes to show u that i haven't played gen 3 in awhile and should not be trusted for info lol

anyway, so i'm aiming to do another nuzlocke but i'm not sure what game. i can do any of the vanilla ones or i could probably get a hack nuzlocke going, if i feel like it. any suggestions?
Posted Image

Even if I'm not ready... I have to make this choice.

Member Avatar
xerx gon give it to ya
I always enjoy doing B2/W2 Nuzlockes. They're extremely challenging, and there's a great variety of Pokemon to catch. Maybe do one of them?
Project Menu
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

New to the forum and not sure how things work? Need a thread moved or a poll taken down? Having a rough time with your Nuzlocke run and need help? PM me!

Kirimiya
Member Avatar
Stream of consciousness

lesbian xion
Dec 16 2017, 06:34 PM
oh woops. this goes to show u that i haven't played gen 3 in awhile and should not be trusted for info lol

anyway, so i'm aiming to do another nuzlocke but i'm not sure what game. i can do any of the vanilla ones or i could probably get a hack nuzlocke going, if i feel like it. any suggestions?
Sounds like you should play RSE again :p
It's a tying streak
It's a moment of victory
And it lasts a lifetime

Maryeeo
Member Avatar
I would like to buy a damburgher
Seconding B2W2. Nice amount of challenge, cool story, grinding isn't too bad, and if you want it even harder there's always Challenge Mode. Also, there's an incredible variety of Pokemon to catch and use. Every time I nuzlocke B2W2, almost half of my team consists of Pokemon I've never used before in 'lockes, which keeps the experience fresh, in my opinion.

If you prefer fewer variety but an equal amount of challenge, I'd recommend Platinum. Or heck, one of the Drayano hacks. Storm Silver/Sacred Gold and Blaze Black 2/Volt White 2 are really fun, albeit harder. I wouldn't recommend Blaze Black/Volt White as much unless you like major battles being in formats like Rotation and Triples. Fire Red Omega is also a possibility, but that one is significantly less hard than Drayano's other hacks. If you're looking for a challenge in Kanto, I'd recommend Alternate Evolutions instead. Or heck, Red/Blue Deluxe is pretty good too with its four difficulty modes and unique features.
Current runs

11wildy
Member Avatar
Indigo League Champion
Xerxos
Dec 16 2017, 01:42 PM
The failsafe is usually Flamethrower Loudred. Whismur is a guaranteed catch, and as long as you make sure it survives until Watson, you can majorly increase your odds of beating him by scrounging up enough Game Corner coins (4000, I think) to purchase the Flamethrower TM. It's probably best to give it a Cheri Berry to avoid parahax.
This sounds like a decent idea. I just wonder how I can get 4000 coins so early into the game. Doesnt that cost like 80000? I doubt I have that much money by the team I get there. I also play on actual cartridge, so grinding for hours on the slots would get tedious. I was hoping there would be a kind of niche Pokémon that also had a chance of winning. Maybe with Rock Smash, but it's so weak. Can Roselia do it with Leech Seed+stalling? Even though that would be another Grass type. I wish they would give TM Dig before this battle xD.

Thank you for your response!
Finished runs

Current run: None

Luigifan876

YOU HAVE ENOUGH SKILL ALREADY

Kirimiya
Member Avatar
Stream of consciousness

11wildy
Dec 19 2017, 03:20 AM
Xerxos
Dec 16 2017, 01:42 PM
This sounds like a decent idea. I just wonder how I can get 4000 coins so early into the game. Doesnt that cost like 80000? I doubt I have that much money by the team I get there. I also play on actual cartridge, so grinding for hours on the slots would get tedious.
One word: Pickup.
It's a tying streak
It's a moment of victory
And it lasts a lifetime

Skarmizard
Member Avatar
Severely Introverted Dragon

I can't decide what to Nuzlocke next. I've done most of the games to death except Gen 7, but I've heard bad things about 'locking them (and judging from playing Sun normally...yeah I don't think it'd go well (and I haven't played the new games yet, although I do have them)).
And I don't know anything about hacks...so I don't really know what I should do here :c
Hoenn's Chaos: An Emerald Randomlocke
(Updated 4/18)

Team

Undocumented current runs:
Moon (Route 12, 2 deaths)
Completed Runs

I'm a...
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Arbitrary
Member Avatar
Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym
Skarmizard
Jan 11 2018, 01:08 AM
I can't decide what to Nuzlocke next. I've done most of the games to death except Gen 7, but I've heard bad things about 'locking them (and judging from playing Sun normally...yeah I don't think it'd go well (and I haven't played the new games yet, although I do have them)).
And I don't know anything about hacks...so I don't really know what I should do here :c
I would still recommend Gen 7. It's a pretty tough region to run and there's just enough variety that you'll get something good along the way, or Alola forms for new twists on the same Gen 1 Pokemon you get in most games. It's not like in Gen 6 where every route has loads of new mons, but it's better than most regions, and USUM are better still for variety. The main downsides are the abundance of cutscenes and shitty grinding without the Exp Share. The games are more designed around using the Exp Share so it feels less broken than in any of the Gen 6 games. Totems are pretty novel and some of them are brutal, while major bosses all tend to have max IVs and some EVs too. They're not bad games to locke, they're just hard. USUM is simultaneously easier (due to an easier E4 and a bigger dex with some additions that break the game) and harder (due to some more devious Totems, the infamous battle near the end of the game against a certain foe, and more battles in general in places such as Mt Lanakila). The one thing you'll need to do is decide how you're separating encounters early on, as Route 1 is massive with multiple areas, but after that it's pretty standard.

I think Gen 7 is pretty good to run. It requires more effort than most games to succeed, but it's rewarding. It's just too bad several mons are locked behind SOS encounters that mess with the rules or are near impossible to obtain. Luckily, almost every new dex addition in USUM isn't like this, with the exception of Golett/Baltoy which are version exclusive anyway.
Don't do many documented runs, but there's a couple here.

Nuzlocke of Sorrow, Autumn Communitylocke run 2014

Oh look, yet another Crystal run, Nuzlympics 2016

Kirimiya
Member Avatar
Stream of consciousness

Gen VII, like most of the others, is only particularly difficult if you don't grind like you're supposed to. I would recommend giving USUM a shot if you haven't yet.
It's a tying streak
It's a moment of victory
And it lasts a lifetime

Member Avatar
xerx gon give it to ya
Thirding Generation VII, especially since grinding's a non-issue thanks to the Exp. Share. US and UM are challenging, but they're quite fun and offer up a great deal of diversity in terms of catches.
Project Menu
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Emperor ServingSpoon
Member Avatar
The original AND the 16th!
Gen VII's not too bad if you know what all the trainers have. Serebii's got all of their Pokemon and movesets in their Pokéarth section, so that'll make it more manageable if you're scared due to the additional challenge. Playing like that, I only lost one Pokemon each in both my Sun runs (and one was just a stupid mistake against a wild Pokemon), so it's certainly *possible* to not be a bloodbath. It's really only playing completely blind (or on set with item restrictions) that you should have *major* issues. Though I guess the major characters have a few threats at various points, and Kukui's team makes for a pretty tough final battle... So I probably shouldn't make it sound a lot easier than it is. But yeah. If you're confident with your strategising, Sun and Moon certainly shouldn't be a nightmare for you. But if you're not, then you might enjoy something else more.
Current Run

Completed Runs

Skarmizard
Member Avatar
Severely Introverted Dragon

Tbh I actually was considering doing Gen 7, but I've just heard so many horror stories about both games...then again I heard horror stories about Platinum and BW2 and those all went fairly well.
And I guess I should be okay after doing this many runs...and I've never actually done a blind run, so that could be interesting. (SM would be semi-blind since I've only played it once (still not finished either :sweatdrop: ) and USUM would be totally blind...hmm 🤔 )

A thing I can't figure out: there are routes with multiple grass patches with fairly different encounters, but it's still the same route...so how do people deal with that, is it like Pinwheel clause or...?

(...TIL Gen 7 was balanced around using the Exp. Share...that may be why I was having problems later on *glares at Hapu being 7 levels about Lusamine*)[edit_reason]forgot question and rephrasing[/edit_reason]
Edited by Skarmizard, Jan 13 2018, 03:34 AM.
Hoenn's Chaos: An Emerald Randomlocke
(Updated 4/18)

Team

Undocumented current runs:
Moon (Route 12, 2 deaths)
Completed Runs

I'm a...
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Emperor ServingSpoon
Member Avatar
The original AND the 16th!
Well, it's more that the very end of Sun and Moon were balanced around the Exp. Share. If you don't have it on from about the end of the third island (around Po Town or a few areas before that), then you'll be underleveled when you hit the 4th island because of a pretty significant level jump.

Pretty sure the only area that is widely accepted as split in Route 1, where it's split into the initial area (where you'll either catch the mandatory Pikipek or whatever comes after it), then the seaside area when Lillie's taking you to Kukui's house, and then the Trainers' School area. Aside from Rattata and Yungoos being possible in the first two sections, all other potential catches in those three sections are completely different from each other. Between that and the number of trainers you need to fight before reaching Hau'oli City, most agree that it's fair to take them as three areas. Most other areas with any significant differences let you choose which grass to get something from, either due to entering the grass being optional or by having Repels available to you (and if you use Dupes Clause, you'll end up with one of every Pokemon from quite a few of the routes by the end, anyway, due to the large number of areas in the game).
Current Run

Completed Runs

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · Challenge Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply