Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Happy Lunar New Year! The feature team has a few gifts for you!
Nuzlocke Comics
Welcome to the Nuzlocke Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit. We're a community based off the popular "Nuzlocke Challenge", a way of playing the PokÚmon video game series on a higher level of difficulty. What is it exactly? Join us and find that out, and more!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
[COMIC] Crimson Stained: An Omega Ruby Nuzlocke; updated 26th March
Topic Started: Mar 14 2016, 09:06 PM (872 Views)
dayafter
Member Avatar
Basically Lazarus

Wassup nerds.

It's been ages since I've shown my face around here and therefore there's a solid chance that you, the person reading this very sentence, are not someone who I have talked to before and that's pretty cool (but also a little sad).

Anyway. My name's Dayafter, and a while back I was working on developing my artistic skills, however this quickly took a back seat to irl things such as university and getting an actual job and whatnot, and soon my contribution to nuzforums crumbled to like a sodden rich tea in a lukewarm cup of earl grey.

I recently (as in this afternoon) decided that I should return to working on artistic things to try and de-stress myself a bit from the silly things that come up during day to day life, and on reflection I came to the conclusion that the best way to do the following:

- Develop my artistic skills
- See improvement easily
- force myself to try and regularly maintain this development
- probably irritate a BUNCH of people

was to return, with all the grace of an elephant ballerina wearing but a single stiletto, to the nuzforums with a comic run of a game that I recently restarted.

What can I say, you're welcome.

Please find below, for your consideration, the prologue to my Omega Ruby Comic: Crimson Stained

Is the title foreshadowing?

I'll never tell.

Spoilers: Anatomy is NOT my strong suit. Consider yourself warned.

Prologue

Deviantart Notes
Oh no I have an art thread too now

Posted Image
^click me^

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Posted ImageRevenantPosted Image
Member Avatar
Do you hear the toll of the bell?

I like your sketchy style a lot! It's fun to see traditional work, but I understand the difficulty of coloring and sharpies and all that x-x sharpies bleed so hard, too.

Plot wise, I'm curious about who our protagonist was texting at the start and if it'll be important later on. Things seem to be popping right along, so I'm interested in meeting our starter as well. Woo! :D
Posted Image Posted Image
New Kids on the Block: A Blind Ultra Moon Storylocke

dayafter
Member Avatar
Basically Lazarus

Revenant
Mar 14 2016, 09:21 PM
I like your sketchy style a lot! It's fun to see traditional work, but I understand the difficulty of coloring and sharpies and all that x-x sharpies bleed so hard, too.

Plot wise, I'm curious about who our protagonist was texting at the start and if it'll be important later on. Things seem to be popping right along, so I'm interested in meeting our starter as well. Woo! :D
Thanks so much for the comment! While making the switch to digital colouring, lineart will still be based on hand drawn sketches which I scan into the computer, so hopefully I won't lose that aspect of it!

Plotwise you'll have to wait and see ;)

Speaking of starter reveal.

While working through the conclusion of the prologue, I decided that the best option would be to upload panels as I go, as this allows me to have a quicker turnover of work, but also allows me to split the pages into manageable chunks.

I'll upload each panel as it's complete and then at the end of each page I'll combine them into one strip so that anyone who wants can view the whole bunch, or to make it easier to catch up / look back.

As a result, I should be able to maintain a pretty good update schedule, with this being the first of those!

Prologue part 2a

deviantart comment

I managed to get the second panel of this page done today as well! Isn't science amazing.

Pacing should improve with the next one, this panel was mainly to get used to drawing Mudkip at a couple of different angles.

SHAMELESS SELF-IMPROVEMENT YOU CAN'T STOP THIS TRAIN.

Prologue part 2b

Deviantart commentary
Edited by dayafter, Mar 15 2016, 05:30 PM.

Posted Image
^click me^

Member Avatar

I like the way you draw mudkip! It's got a really unique flair to it! :D Looks a lot more like an axolotl! A *talking* axolotl, at that! Oh my, oh my!

The digital coloring is nice, I think it really suits your style a lot, too! One small thing I might have to say is be careful with Artur's leg anatomy--his back legs look just a tiny bit weird in the latest panel, but again, imo, quadruped legs are super hard, so I'm sure with time you'll work it out. I'm interested to see how this painterly look works for the humans, as well. (:

FrinayPixelbaf VII
Member Avatar
フライネ
WOW! I really like the drawing, and.. I like it. I can't explain it, but it makes me feel back home.
I'm gonna cry, man, your art is so colourful!
yo yo

I'd have these guys irl but no i crei evrytiem

Failed Runs

Posted Image

dayafter
Member Avatar
Basically Lazarus

Replies

Apologies for the delay in getting this next panel up! It's been a pretty crazy week! I'm coming to work in America for the summer and had a visa appointment and other things to do!

Regardless, it's done now, and to be honest I'm pretty pleased with how it came out.

Prologue part 2c

Deviantart comment

Posted Image
^click me^

skymessenger
Member Avatar
Messenger of the Skies

Interesting so far. I can't wait to see where the story goes.
Gotta admit, the drawing is very relaxed and nice to look at ^^
Click the banner for an epic nuzlocke journey!
Posted Image

WoodchuckXL
Member Avatar
Pokemon Trainer
Oh man that is funny and awesome. I recently started a nuzlocke but i cant draw so im writing it as a story. If you wanna check it out its pokemon X junior storylocke so if you do tell me what you think of it.

dayafter
Member Avatar
Basically Lazarus

Replies

Okay! So, this is the panel that to be honest I'm most proud of so far. It took ages to get right (not just because photoshop crashed and lost my data like twice ;m; )

Only one more panel to go and the prologue is finished! Then we can get into the actual game at last, and you guys can meet some of my catches!

Prologue part 2d

Deviantart Commentary

Posted Image
^click me^

Member Avatar

The water gun panel certainly has an awesome effect for the flow of the pages, i really like it! Good early action, really!

FrinayPixelbaf VII
Member Avatar
フライネ
UHHHHHH! YES! THAT'S THE SPOT! YEAAAHHH

These colours.. The 2009 feel from this art.. OH YES!
yo yo

Failed Runs

Posted Image

Vagrant
Member Avatar
Indigo League Champion
i thought the water gun that jumped into other panels was cool, your drawings all do this interesting thing with the colors/shading of pokemon in which some is light and some is dark, it's neat to see

if you would consider though, to maybe compile the different pages and edit them into the first post? like it wasn't so bad now but if you put in like 5 pages for the prologue, its gonna be a lot of pages and a lot for ppl to look through later in your run. if there's a masterpost people just look at everything from the beginning and get saved from that :P

FrinayPixelbaf VII
Member Avatar
フライネ
Vagrant
Mar 26 2016, 05:09 PM
i thought the water gun that jumped into other panels was cool, your drawings all do this interesting thing with the colors/shading of pokemon in which some is light and some is dark, it's neat to see

if you would consider though, to maybe compile the different pages and edit them into the first post? like it wasn't so bad now but if you put in like 5 pages for the prologue, its gonna be a lot of pages and a lot for ppl to look through later in your run. if there's a masterpost people just look at everything from the beginning and get saved from that :P
But then it discourages the reader from commenting on the run.
It's always cool when you can.. Interact with the other commenters and the writer during the comic.
I mean, it sounds stupid, but still. They'll feel compelled to go through down, and see so many comments, and they'll...
Feel Good.
yo yo

Failed Runs

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Comic Runs · Next Topic »
Add Reply