Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
The Pride Month Create-a-thon has now begun! Don't forget to check out Featured Fan Runs - this run really shouldn't be Lost in the Stream!
Nuzlocke Comics
Welcome to the Nuzlocke Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit. We're a community based off the popular "Nuzlocke Challenge", a way of playing the Pokťmon video game series on a higher level of difficulty. What is it exactly? Join us and find that out, and more!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tenacious and Strong Bonds: Let's Play Super Robot Wars GC; it's an SRPG that isn't fucking Fire Emblem (Stage 5: I'M INVNICIBALL)
Topic Started: Jun 17 2016, 11:43 AM (1,550 Views)
♠♣ Mattman324 ♦♥
Member Avatar
COME ON AND SLAM! AND WELCOME TO THE JAM
Posted Image

Welcome, one and all, to SRW GC.

What in the world...?

Super Robot Wars is a long running series of strategy RPGs made by Banpresto - a subsidiary company of Bandai, now fully owned by Bandai-Namco Games (which has taken over the reins recently) in the same vein as Fire Emblem and its ilk. Started at approximately the same time too. What makes it stand out from most of its compatriots, of course, is the fact that it's a MASSIVE CROSSOVER - all your favorite, least favorite, and possibly unloved giant robot anime/manga/video games/action figures of Hatsune Miku as a Virtual On character (SERIOUSLY THAT WAS A THING) have a chance of being in any given game. Also occasionally powered armor and giant spaceships get in, but that's a different matter.

Ok, so context for this one?

Banpresto/BN Games has a number of different groups working on a SRW game at any given time because the franchise is a pretty big seller. One of their longest running teams got together for SRW 64, and then moved over to the Game Boy Advanced, where they stayed until the DS era, and then on that until the 3DS era, where they are currently at now. (Most recent release from them as of this posting was BX, a fairly solid game.)

That is, except for one oddball. Anyone who looked through their release timeline would notice that the only year break they took in the GBA era was 2004, between their release of D and their release of J. That's because in 2004, they were working on SRW GC, a game on a rather underselling console that was their second attempt at 3D (their first attempt being Alpha for the Dreamcast, a game most notable for its horrific load times and horrible broken balance even compared to Alpha 1). So Banpresto didn't really think the game would sell.

That was a good thing, because it meant that the guys making the game could go completely off the wall in terms of what they did with the game. A lot of major mechanics were implemented, old ideas from the GBA era that would never get touched on again got to take a try, it was their first attempt at a new enemy targetting system (...which is a bad thing but more on that later), and plotwise, this game would for the first time have a heavy focus on Gundam's One Year War. And also a heavy focus on DEEP SPACE of all the other things to work with. Oh, and it was the first game without Toei's Mazinger Z! Instead it had Mazinkaiser, in the single time that series was vocal (that's also a bad thing but more on that much later.)

What you get is a game that's actually moderately difficult by the franchise standard (which went from "this game hates you" difficulty to "kittens" difficulty at around 1999 and never really looked back), includes a lot of series that are rare in SRW, includes three series that are only in GC, and some other general oddities (Shin vs Neo Getter in one of its two appearances, the fourth Nagahama's second and last appearance, the third Invincible's second appearance and last before the Z series, Mazinkaiser without its movie, OYW Gundam's trio of properties in the last appearance they had aside from OE...).

You also get a game that sold like crap, because strange looking game + meh console + poor graphics at a time when that was starting to mean a lot = no one really cared. But not all hope was lost! GC was given to a second team, and was repolished, refurbished, repackaged, bug-fixed, and sent out on a new console to make itself a new name!

That console was the Xbox 360. For a Japan-only game.

Poor, poor XO. It doesn't stop there, even! XO included a new multiplayer mode that Banpresto thought would be a pretty interesting draw with its interesting mechanics. XO may have failed, but they took that mode out and stuck a bunch of units from J, W, and K in it and sold it! And Gakuen failed miserably, thus ending literally everything GC related until its turn finally came around for OG.

Uh... tl;dr?

THIS GAME HAS A FUCKING SPACE STEAM LOCOMOTIVE AND YOU CAN RUN PEOPLE OVER WITH A SPACE STEAM LOCOMOTIVE THAT IS ALSO A TRANSFORMING ROBOT. IT IS AWESOME.

Oooo, that's a new one on me, and I'm a SRW fan! What's the cast list on this, again?

Specifically that's the J9-III. The cast list here is:

~ Mobile Suit Gundam
~ Mobile Suit Gundam (Movies) (JUST HERE FOR MUSIC IN A GAME WITH NO MODERN BGM SWAP)
~ Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
~ Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Squad
~ Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (UNITS ONLY)
~ Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
~ Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack (ENTIRELY PLOTLESS, ALL UNITS ARE SECRETS)
~ Metal Armor Dragonar
~ Heavy Metal L-Gaim
~ Blue Comet SPT Layzner
~ Mazinkaiser (SERIES DEBUT)
~ Shin Getter Robo vs. Neo Getter Robo
~ Invincible Robo Trider G7
~ Future Robo Daltanius
~ Super Bestial Machine God Dancouga
~ Dancouga: Requiem For The Lost
~ God Bless Dancouga (ONLY HERE FOR WEAPONRY FOR DAN THE COOL GUY)
~ Galactic Cyclone Braiger
~ Galactic Gale Baxinger (SERIES DEBUT)
~ Galactic Whirlwind Sasuraiger (PLOTLESS for the most part) (SERIES DEBUT)
~ Strongest Robo Daioja (SERIES DEBUT)
~ Absolutely Invincible Raijin-Oh (SERIES DEBUT)
~ Absolutely Invincible Raijin-Oh - OVA 2 (SERIES DEBUT, ONLY IN GC, HERE FOR A SINGLE SECRET ROBOT. Apparently they couldn't get the license for XO)

Wait, Trider and Dancouga not plotless? All three J9s? Daio-what the heck is Daioja?

This is still the only game where Trider has major plot (it had a teeny bit in Z2-2 but that barely counts), yes. Dancouga not only has plot, this game is the first in the franchise to include something in literally every game with the thing afterwards that isn't X-O (X-O doesn't count). Also it named "Shapiro's Combat Mecha" into "Desire". And it and its remakes provided names for the generic mooks too!

And yeah the J9s are assembled. Despite there being a 600 year gap between Braiger and Baxinger, and 200 more years between Bax and Sasu.

"Daioja" is Mito Komon IN SPACE IN A GIANT ROBOT, which basically just means it's the greatest thing ever. It also has a ludicrously catchy theme and is pretty damn solid even as Supers go in this game. (If you don't know what Mito Komon is, go look it up.

Neat, anything else?

Hmm... Oh yeah! This run is being hosted on two forums. One has a more expansive version of each update because I can use 75 images in any given post, the other is a more brief version since I can only use 10. The link to the other run is here

Without further ado, let's dive straight into the game.

Part 1: Even when aliens attack the Earth, Zeon still rebels.
In Which Mattman324 Tries for 100% Completion of: Pokemon Conquest
FAKEMON VS NAZIS, BAD HACK BOOGALOO: Pokemon Zaru
KOROSU KOROSU KOROSU KOROSU (The sequel to Pokemon Outlaw)

29 Perfect nuzlockes. 142 caught in one of them. SAIKYOU NO NUZLOCKER

My most recent one? An event run!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

🌈 Don Ravioli 🌈
Member Avatar
Pixel bun
Well, that's gonna be a thing. You answered my questions on Skype already, so I'll just leave this :

Posted Image

[21:20:59] Don Ravioli: Oh no she's cute
Posted ImagePosted Image

OTHER "CURRENT" PROJECTS

HIATUSED STUFF (will come back eventually)

Completed runs

Storm Luxray
Member Avatar
momo tower~
Matt don't run yourself to death.

Also, watching this. Looks fun.
Active-ness: Sporactic.

OLE!

[22:20:19] genuine problems: anyway the moral of the story is: if you're obese you're more likely to die
[22:21:20] Bullet: what

Deviantart link

♠♣ Mattman324 ♦♥
Member Avatar
Replies

Anyway, let's do this.

Intermission 1: In which the Intermission Screen is talked about.

🌈 Don Ravioli 🌈
Member Avatar
Pixel bun
Man I so want to get into these games but THE NUMBERS. Argh. At least here I don't have to deal with that. :v:
Posted ImagePosted Image

OTHER "CURRENT" PROJECTS

HIATUSED STUFF (will come back eventually)

Completed runs

Storm Luxray
Member Avatar
momo tower~
Well, Rajin-Oh does not look broken in the least.

Also, level scaling is a horrible, terrible idea, and who ever thought of it should be Rocket Punched into the stratosphere.

OLE!

[22:20:19] genuine problems: anyway the moral of the story is: if you're obese you're more likely to die

Deviantart link

♠♣ Mattman324 ♦♥
Member Avatar
replies

Stage 2 (and a glimpse of Sub Scenario 2): #unbanshingetter

Storm Luxray
Member Avatar
momo tower~
".......Uhoh.

OLE!

Deviantart link

♠♣ Mattman324 ♦♥
Member Avatar

Sub Scenario 2 and Stage 3: SIEG ZEON, GLORIOUS* SAVIORS* OF SPACE*

♠♣ Mattman324 ♦♥
Member Avatar
Intermission 3: Gundams and Dragonars and BRAIGER OH MY

♠♣ Mattman324 ♦♥
Member Avatar
Stage 4: Grand Theft Mecha

♠♣ Mattman324 ♦♥
Member Avatar
Stage 5: The 08th MS god can we just get to Shining In The Storm yet?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · Other Adventures · Next Topic »
Add Reply