Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Talk Random. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Does Megalodon Still Live?; Does Megalodon Still Live?
Topic Started: Saturday Mar 20 2010, 08:13 PM (310 Views)
ScoutDLuffy
Member Avatar
You're waiting for a train ...
Posted Image
Ok what do you think Does Megalodon Still Live?

If so state why ....
I would choose to say yes but I can't explain why as I don't have much time now as i must leave .. =/
Edited by ScoutDLuffy, Saturday Mar 20 2010, 08:17 PM.

Malice
Member Avatar
Master of space and time

sigh, long time since i heard of this shark on disc channel. Basically, for those who don't know what megaladon is, is: Basically a prehistoric shark that was 5~6 times the size of a great white and at max twice the size of a whale shark. I think the term used for such a predator is: Hyper-Carnivorous Predator and it was the largest of its kind.

Now that we're clear on what it is, the question posed was if you still think it exists.

My answer is no. Remember, the higher up the food chain and the more deadly a predator in the hierarchy, the fewer of its kind.
Don't know what im talking about? Well...

There is way more vegetation than antelope. There are more antelope than lions.

This example should illustrate clearly what i'm getting at. Meaning, life is harder for species living in the top niche. And to yet again simplify my statement through example. Polar bears are closer to extinction than seals are. Polars bears prey on seals.

Time to get into the nitty-gritty of the response. The Megaladon, being such a predator; hyper carnivorous; Would have definitely been observed today. It's main sources of food would have been big fish and there would have been some tangible evidence of its presence in the oceans. Furthermore, sharks a rarely deep water fish, so the chance of them existing at extreme depths is very unlikely. And what big fish exist down there? Sperm whales dive deep and are said to feed off of giant squid. Problem is, Giant squid are so rare, none has ever been observed in the wild. Only dead. (unless this changed extremely recently). And megaladon would probably have to feed on either of these IF it were a deep water predator, which it most likely isn't. And we would have seen it in normal depth waters by now.

Furthermore, this creature existed approximately 25 to 1.5 million years ago. For a creature to remain in existence so long without any evolutionary differences is astounding. Basically, the creature is extinct - period.

Kain
Member Avatar
The Eternal Flame
it doesnt live anymore
what malice said

Ivantheterrible
Member Avatar
The Eternal Martyr
Well I have no previous knowledge of this Megaladon.. but from what i gathered from Malice's statement and... your picture.. I would assume he doesn't exist anymore.

I am in agreement with all that Malice said, just changing his "niche" to what I believe the term he was looking for "Trophic level".
Also what he said about the evolution. An animal that big is gonna be a k-selected species and they are not well equiped to handle the evolutionary process well, too long of a life cycle... so I'm sticking with no
Edited by Ivantheterrible, Sunday Mar 21 2010, 11:42 AM.

Malice
Member Avatar
Master of space and time

trophic level would have worked yea, but what i really wanted to say was "ecological niche" and it being the top of its specific one.

ScoutDLuffy
Member Avatar
You're waiting for a train ...
Ok I'd like to think its a small possibility and as we know a possibility is still a possibility no matter how small or unprecedented ....

Take into consideration that less than 5% of the deep-sea has been explored, and even less than that sampled biologically

So....you stated that
Quote:

sharks a rarely deep water fish

Quote:

Sperm whales dive deep and are
said to feed off of giant squid. Problem
is, Giant squid are so rare, none has
ever been observed in the wild.

It is believed that some sharks can live at least as deep as 12,000 feet and Sperm Whales are believed to dive to 10,000 feet in search of squid. If there is a food supply to support a 60-foot whale. Why not the megalodon ?

New marine creatures are still being discovered, some of them quite large - like the 15-foot (Megachasma pelagios) also known as the mega mouth shark discovered in 1976.

(Latimeria chalumnae) or the Coelacanth was thought to be extinct for more than 60 million years until a live specimen was captured in 1938. As of now it is certain that there is a small but definitely surviving population

Who is stay the megalodon isn't still here ?

Familiar with the term Radiometric dating ? It is a means to date material stated by wiki :
Quote:

Radiometric dating (often called radioactive dating) is a technique used to date materials, usually based on a comparison between the observed abundance of a naturally occurring radioactive isotope and its decay products, using known decay rates.

Based on the average rate of deposition of manganese dioxide around nuclei composed of fossil shark teeth, several few teeeth calculated that Megalodon may have lived as recently as 11,000 years ago, oppose to dying out 1.6 million years ago.

Geologically speaking, yesterday ...

A living Megalodon would likely be very heavy, powerful, and difficult to capture using conventional fishing gear. Thousands of nets e.t.c are lost every year.

Now read this incredible story which happened in Broughton Island, Australia, in 1918.

Quote:

In the year 1918 I recorded the sensation that had been caused among the "outside" crayfish men at Port Stephens, when, for several days, they refused to go to sea to their regular fishing grounds in the vicinity of Broughton Island. The men had been at work on the fishing grounds---which lie in deep water---when an immense shark of almost unbelievable proportions put in an appearance, lifting pot after pot containing many crayfishes, and taking, as the men said, "pots, mooring lines and all". These crayfish pots, it should be mentioned, were about 3 feet 6 inches [1.06 m] in diameter and frequently contained from two to three dozen good-sized crayfish each weighing several pounds. The men were all unanimous that this shark was something the like of which they had never dreamed of. In company with the local Fisheries Inspector I questioned many of the men very closely and they all agreed as to the gigantic stature of the beast. But the lengths they gave were, on the whole, absurd. I mention them, however, as a indication of the state of mind which this unusual giant had thrown them into. And bear in mind that these were men who were used to the sea and all sorts of weather, and all sorts of sharks as well. One of the crew said the shark was "three hundred feet [90 m] long at least"! Others said it was as long as the wharf on which we stood---about 115 feet [35 m]! They affirmed that the water "boiled" over a large space when the fish swam past. They were all familiar with whales, which they had often seen passing at sea, but this was a vast shark. They had seen its terrible head which was "at least as long as the roof on the wharf shed at Nelson's Bay." Impossible, of course! But these were prosaic and rather stolid men, not given to 'fish stories' nor even to talking about their catches. Further, they knew that the person they were talking to (myself) had heard all the fish stories years before! One of the things that impressed me was that they all agreed as to the ghostly whitish color of the vast fish. The local Fisheries Inspector of the time, Mr Paton, agreed with me that it must have been something really gigantic to put these experienced men into such a state of fear and panic.

http://web.ncf.ca/

As i stated earlier a possibility is still a possibility.....

Malice
Member Avatar
Master of space and time

quite interesting.

Yet..
The photic zone in the ocean extends down only a couple hundred metres. It can have pressures of more than 1000 atmospheres, temperatures approaching 0o C except for near hydrothermal vents which spew out deadly chemicals such as sulphur dioxide and soars way past 100o C. There is also virtually no oxygen at those levels.

Either, Megs would have to dive and resurface (and we would have spotted it by now) or its no longer megaladon. The environment at such depths would not allow it. Don't forget this thing is much larger than any sperm whale. And for it to be alive, means that there is sufficient frequency of them to find each other, mate and for those offspring to survive until maturity where they too, must find other megaladon to mate with and so.. Something so huge would leave traces of its existence. Because of its size and it being the largest hyper-carnivorous predator, i highly doubt it can survive on a staple of giant squid alone (they happen to be that rare...) and on sperm whales, in which case, we would have seen evidence of their existence.

I agree that creatures can exist in our oceans depths for millions of years. However, a creature like megaladon (as we know it) does not fit the profile as one of those. Its probably on the same probability as Liopleurodon being alive today >.>

El-Cid
Member Avatar
Executor of the Void
Also if i'm not mistaken, megs main food source aka. large mammals had the ability to survive in water at a much colder temperatures than a shark could handle. Hence such an apex predator would have lost much of its food source to its inability to cope with cold.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Serious Talk · Next Topic »