Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to Big Boards. Big Boards at one time offered the Zathyus network our long famous Resource Archives, our extensive search indexes, and our info-packed resource forums. Eventually, these were made redundant by upgrades to the documentations and expanded search features added to the ZetaBoards software, and this forum then lost relevancy and subsequently became inactive.

Our team then embarked on a new project called Planet Nexus, where a bold new experiment in forum promotion is taking place. We call it nexworking. NexusTree offers social networking pages for forums in a fully automated format. Your NexusTree page is created instantly when your join the nexus. Find out more by visiting Planet Nexus, and become part of the nexworking revolution.

Posted Image Posted Image
If you're already a member please log in to your account for additional access:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Do you believe in god? POLL
Yes 20 (48.8%)
No 17 (41.5%)
I don't know 4 (9.8%)
Total Votes: 41
Do you believe in god? POLL
Topic Started: Oct 11 2007, 04:20 PM (2,765 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

Do you believe in god. no offense I don't. He just doesn't seem real... :drool:
Quote Post
Goto Top

Midnight Umbreon
BB Alpha
[ * ]
Perhaps you should have have put the part about, 'he isn't no such thing and is stupid'.
That's a flame ware just asking to start. If you can just edit it to say Yes and No. It might be better.
I don't believe in God. Personally, if there is a God and he wanted me to believe in him, I would because he's supposedly all powerful. No, I won't convert to Christianity. And I already know from many, many people that I apparently don't have enough 'faith'. In the bible, it says in many places that if you ask, you will recieve and 'pray for anything in my name and it will be given to you.' I was once a Christian and prayed for answers many times. In the three years that I prayed, I did not once get an answer.
~Midnight Umbreon
The Midnight Umbreon
Click the link to see my Pokemon fan site. In completion, it will have guides, reviews, etc, and the world's most realistic Pokemon RPG.
Join today!
Quote Post
Goto Top

Posted ImageMike
Member Avatar
Official BB Coda

Midnight Umbreon
Oct 12 2007, 05:24 PM
I don't believe in God. Personally, if there is a God and he wanted me to believe in him, I would because he's supposedly all powerful. No, I won't convert to Christianity. And I already know from many, many people that I apparently don't have enough 'faith'. In the bible, it says in many places that if you ask, you will recieve and 'pray for anything in my name and it will be given to you.' I was once a Christian and prayed for answers many times. In the three years that I prayed, I did not once get an answer.

Answers aren't always straightforward and immediate. I know you may have heard that before, but I've personally experienced it. For 3 years of my life I felt so alone and depressed, and I prayed every night about it and yet nothing seemed to happen. But I continued to have faith, and about a year ago I got to know the person who is now my best friend, who went through much of the same experiences as me. Had it not been for those 3 years, I never would have gotten to know them. Had that happened, they told me they had already thought about running away and even suicide, and admitted they might not be alive today had it not been for me. Things make more sense from the top down rather than our limited perspectives. Those years I spent alone actually helped me become a better and stronger person, and at the risk of losing my friend, I would not give them up for anything. I don't expect to convince you with that example, but I am here to say I flat out disagree.

As for the verse you spoke of, you're only looking at the parts that you want, not at what it's really telling us. It doesn't say if you ask for something you will get it; it says ask for anything in his name and you shall receive it. Basically, asking in the name of selfishness and greed and for other means will get you nothing.

The final problem I see with your experience is that you claim to have been a Christian, but don't believe anymore. Thats hypocritical. One cannot truthfully know him, and then decide he isn't real. That would be like me deciding I don't like my brother anymore, and denying his existence because of it. You can decide not to follow him anymore, but from what you've told me, it seems as though you never truly knew him to begin with. You can't ask for something in his name, unless you truly know his name. :(

I think it's pretty self explanatory that I am indeed a Christian. This post is not meant to offend or insult anyone, but is merely explains my views on the subject you brought up. After all, this is the debate forum.
Posted Image
Cory: "Mwr is right." - HelenaZF: "Mike is right"
^ All will realize soon enough ;)]
Quote Post
Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Actaully, I don't! .
Quote Post
Goto Top

Jenny
BB Alpha
[ * ]
I actually do believe in God. :) I'm a Christian and believe in the Bible. ^_^
Posted Image
Quote Post
Goto Top

Spyder
BB Alpha
[ * ]
YES! A resounding YES! There is a God, creator of all things. He is my Father. He is the only reason I am here today. I have tried to end my life but God wouldn't have any of it. He still had a purpose for me. They told me many years ago that I would not be able to carry a child and on top of that the chances of me getting pregnant was slim. I did have a few miscarriages, so, I knew they were wrong on that. I always had a hope/desire to have a child. My wishes for my life when I was a girl was that I would marry someone who loved me, have children, and take care of our home. That was it. Seems simple, huh? Noooooooo, I am a slow learner on things. I had to take the hard road in my choices. Most times I felt I was making the right choice but a lot of the time I knew it was wrong and I did it anyway. God knew my desires. I prayed for them for years. Starting when I was a girl and living in an physically and emotionally abusive home to the day He answered my prayers, somewhere like 21 years later. You just can't give up. He knows when the time is right. He knows what His plan for you is. Sometimes He allows pain to enter our lives so that we can grow and become stronger. Sometimes it is so that you can become a witness to others through your stories. Or just so you have empathy for others coming through the pain. God did answer my prayers, in February of 1991 God introduced me to who would soon be my husband. I came through some very awful marriages, being beat, knives pulled on me, etc. so I was a little gun shy, if you know what I mean. But this man was great. I finally knew what it was to be loved by a special man, other than God of course, lol. Later that year the next answer to my prayer occurred. I was pregnant, and I was going to carry it! I'd say I carried it, lol, Clay weighed 10lbs. 15oz. when he was born. Yes God is real and yes God answers prayers. He just might not answer them in the time-line that you expect. I am very proud to proclaim that I am a Child of the King. A Christian. It is wonderful. God bless you all.

Spyder
Quote Post
Goto Top

Todd
Member Avatar
BB Beta
[ *  * ]
Jesus Christ is a friend for all who are lonely, discouraged, depressed, confused and in need of a kind word, a dose of mercy and a loving embrace! He can consume your life with joy and peace even if circumstances are not all rainbows and butterflies. Jesus is a friend that will never let you down and never abandon you. This is my belief!
Posted Image
Quote Post
Goto Top

godkillah
Member Avatar
Cool IF Coder
[ *  *  * ]
i do not believe in a god,
no offense but i think god is just made up to get answers for that what we do not know,
*** 250 MB of disk space
*** 100 GB of data transfer
*** PHP and MySQL support with no restrictions
*** cPanel control panel
*** Absolutely no advertising!

Join us now: http://www.000webhost.com
Quote Post
Goto Top

Baldy
Member Avatar
BB Beta
[ *  * ]
RR Jenny
Nov 2 2007, 10:40 PM

the bible being a book of fables that have been written and edited by men that wanted to keep their jobs and positions of power and wealth you mean that bible? The one that has more taken out than is allowed to stay in? I trust Grims fairy tales as closer to the truth.
Answers are easy, Asking the right question is the hard part.
Baldy's Paradox
Posted Image
Quote Post
Goto Top

Chireru
BB Delta
[ *  *  *  * ]
I partially agree with Baldy
I do beleive in god
but not in the Bible
as men throughout history have edited it to keep in power
that's why I find so much fault in it
as I do in every single other religion
but, there are also truths
I beleive in God, but not the 3 ones (the being, the son, and the spirit)
but, I do beleive that each "prophet" has had a little insight to god
and that with each new prophet, god sends us a little more truth
it is up to us to find it
one of the parts of chrisianity that I do beleive in, would have to be Adam and Eve

well, I could sit here for hours explaining MY strange religion (that I kinda peiced together)
but nobody would read it

but, I do have something to say
those who say that there is no god because there is no proof
how do you know that everything that we know isn't a lie?
it is possible that all of science, no, it WILL happen, will be disproven and all that we know will come crashing down
after all, they can't see an atom, but they can see a rock on a planet even smaller than an atom (because it's so far away from earth)
I DOUBT THAT
and they can't see atoms like I said above (that we can't see it clearly), but yet they can see the PROTONS and ELECTRONS
I DOUBT THAT

so, yeah, I find many more faults in my beleifs in science than I do in religion
Posted Image
Quote Post
Goto Top

Posted ImageMike
Member Avatar
Official BB Coda

Baldy
Dec 11 2007, 06:20 PM
RR Jenny

the bible being a book of fables that have been written and edited by men that wanted to keep their jobs and positions of power and wealth you mean that bible? The one that has more taken out than is allowed to stay in? I trust Grims fairy tales as closer to the truth.

Your forgetting that the Brothers Grimm fairy tales don't claim it of themselves to be true, and don't contain witnesses or refer to provable things.

For example, Biblical archeology. It's a whole scientific field because archaeologists are able to find things like entire cities never before known about, then start digging in the middle of nowhere and finding them. I don't know of any other several thousand year old books that have that kind of credibility!

As for your accusations to it being "edited" (directed to Chireru as well), consider the dead sea scrolls, found in the late 1940's and early 50's. These are texts with pieces of the Hebrew Bible, over 2000 years old. When compared to the modern Bible, they are almost identical. This is because the Bible has gone unedited, and any editing on the scale you speak of could have easily been discovered. Though there have been some pieces (books) removed from the typical English translation (these are known as the Apocrypha and the Deuterocanonical books), they can still be found in some various English versions, as well as in the Latin. They were only removed because their relevance to the Bible has been doubted and are unconfirmable.
Posted Image
Cory: "Mwr is right." - HelenaZF: "Mike is right"
^ All will realize soon enough ;)]
Quote Post
Goto Top

Baldy
Member Avatar
BB Beta
[ *  * ]
Mwr247
Dec 11 2007, 07:41 PM
Baldy
Dec 11 2007, 06:20 PM
RR Jenny

Your forgetting that the Brothers Grimm fairy tales don't claim it of themselves to be true, and don't contain witnesses or refer to provable things.

For example, Biblical archeology. It's a whole scientific field because archaeologists are able to find things like entire cities never before known about, then start digging in the middle of nowhere and finding them. I don't know of any other several thousand year old books that have that kind of credibility!

As for your accusations to it being "edited" (directed to Chireru as well), consider the dead sea scrolls, found in the late 1940's and early 50's. These are texts with pieces of the Hebrew Bible, over 2000 years old. When compared to the modern Bible, they are almost identical. This is because the Bible has gone unedited, and any editing on the scale you speak of could have easily been discovered. Though there have been some pieces (books) removed from the typical English translation (these are known as the Apocrypha and the Deuterocanonical books), they can still be found in some various English versions, as well as in the Latin. They were only removed because their relevance to the Bible has been doubted and are unconfirmable.

If you think that the finding of cities are due to the bible then you are a zealot I guess the fact that some cities that are found due to sightings from space (the space station) is the reason that some older cites have been located. And as far as I know the fact that Moses was saving his people has been proved false simply by the fact that the Hebrews were not slaves but workers (proven that, that many slaves was never in one place in Egypt). Naw more prove that the bible is a fairy tale. Or maybe you can prove that the flood took place? Nope guess not that never happened when the bible said it did. Once again you prove that the "creationists" will try and corrupt any thing to make their point seem correct. science has not proven there was anything that the bible claims, however it does disprove it over and over.
Answers are easy, Asking the right question is the hard part.
Baldy's Paradox
Posted Image
Quote Post
Goto Top

Chireru
BB Delta
[ *  *  *  * ]
I beleive that God (or the almighty or whatever/whoever you beleive in) has set us all a great Paradox.
That being "he who solves for himself in his own religion, is truly setting his or her own salvation"
I do firmly beleive that god does not want robots following another mans beleifs, but free birds (so to speak) free to choose their own path and religion. And, as long as they beleive in God, they are not sinning as a man worshiping the Devil would be.
Posted Image
Quote Post
Goto Top

Kysté
BB Alpha
[ * ]
Yes, I do believe in god.
Quote Post
Goto Top

Rjay
BB Alpha
[ * ]
No, I don't believe in him.
Quote Post
Goto Top

Liammm
BB Alpha
[ * ]
I believe in him sometimes. Like when something good happens to me I believe in him but when something bad happens to me or the world i just find it hard to do so.
Quote Post
Goto Top

Justin
Member Avatar
'forever.

I'm yet to vote in this poll, due to not really knowing if I do believe in him or not... I know I want to say yes, but another part of me says no... So for now, I'm not going to vote in this poll.
Posted Image

Click to visit my Personal Forum
JUSTIN - PROUD MEMBER OF BIG BOARDS SINCE JANUARY 30th 2008
Useful LinksWhat's Happening Around Big Boards?
PagesServices
Quote Post
Goto Top

Silvereye
Member Avatar
BB Alpha
[ * ]
No. If there was a god that cared about me believing in him, he would have proven his existence. If there is a god that doesn't care, that's pretty much the same as having none at all.
Quote Post
Goto Top

packmule
BB Zeta
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Silvereye
May 26 2008, 03:11 AM
No. If there was a god that cared about me believing in him, he would have proven his existence. If there is a god that doesn't care, that's pretty much the same as having none at all.

That's kind of how I'm seeing it. God sure wasn't around for the little boy mentioned in this article, and who was beaten to death on the side of a dark country road by a 27 year old adult male: http://my.att.net/s/editorial.dll?pnum=1&b...e&rg=blsadstrgt

So, for all you Christians, my question is: where is God? Where was he when this toddler was beaten to death? :(
Quote Post
Goto Top

Archive
Member Avatar
Technical Adviser

The world is a sinful place and Jesus died for those sins. Jesus, the one who came to this world to die for our sins, did not convince many that he was the son of God; even though he was resurrected, walked on water and healed many.

If God stopped that man from beating that toddler to death, wouldn't he have to stop every other sin in the world as well?

The toddler that was murdered is evidently rejoicing in heaven right now. I doubt he'd want to come back to earth.

Any religion, as I see it, is something you believe in, not something you visualize.

God can't be blamed for our sins, "for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" -- Romans 3:23
Quote Post
Goto Top

packmule
BB Zeta
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Cory"

If God stopped that man from beating that toddler to death, wouldn't he have to stop every other sin in the world as well?
Sure, and why not? If he's got the power then why not use it?

"Cory"

The toddler that was murdered is evidently rejoicing in heaven right now
In your opinion. Others might believe the boy is simply biodegrading inside a coffin, and prematurely.
"Cory"

I doubt he'd want to come back to earth
If he is somewhere else and I emphasize the word "if", then I would agree with you. Considering this child's last experience alive, being savagely beaten to the point of being unrecognizable by paramedics attending to him, I wouldn't blame him for not wanting any part of humanity again.

"Cory"

Any religion, as I see it, is something you believe in, not something you visualize
I'm a "touch, see, hear, feel" kind of guy Cory. Believing in something I cannot see is a bit problematic for me.

"Cory"

God can't be blamed for our sins, "for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God"
Assuming you're right then why the hell should I devote my life to someone who's under no obligation to do anything(back) for me? <_<
Quote Post
Goto Top

Archive
Member Avatar
Technical Adviser

So basically, you think God should make the world perfect and sinless? Sure, he's got that power, but that's not how God created us. He created us to have a choice; in reference to sin. Obedience and disobedience lies within an individuals choice, not God's. Lucifer (the fallen angel), commonly referred to as Satan, is the one who started sin as we know it; rebelling against God by his own free-given will. Satan is, in my opinion, the enemy; he'll do anything to turn us away from God. The 27 year old adult male that murdered that toddler was likely walking in the footsteps of Satan.

Quote:

...why the hell should I devote my life to someone who's under no obligation to do anything(back) for me?

How do you know that though? How do you know God hasn't blessed you or your family and friends?

Unfortunately, there's a lot of unanswered questions out there and never-ending debatable subjects. With that being said, I think I'll leave this topic with the following sentence (based on my opinion): Just search your heart, and remember that God gave you the choice to believe what you want to believe.
Quote Post
Goto Top

packmule
BB Zeta
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Cory
Jun 17 2008, 05:56 PM
How do you know God hasn't blessed you or your family and friends?

I can't speak for the only three friends I have, all three grown men who have their own experiences. I can speak for myself Cory:
Blessing #1: until I was 12 years old I had no real family. I was an orphan and moved about from one group of people to another. Many of them were not pleasant but I was ignored and, in retrospect, it was probably the best result possible given the kinds of people I was around.
Blessing #2: I was adopted at age thirteen by a strict middle class family. No one in that family ever made me feel welcome and when I didn't live up to my adoptive father's expectations he essentially told me he regretted he'd ever adopted me to begin with.
Blessing #3: despite being part of this "adopted" family, from age 13 to age 34, I was, when my adoptive father died(in 1999), written out of his will by his three natural children(all are somewhat older than me).
I could go on with other things that have happened but I won't and I doubt you or anyone else around here would want to hear it. If you had lived my life thus far I think the last word you would use to describe the experience is "blessed"-that's my opinion on it. You believe what you want and I'll do likewise.
Quote Post
Goto Top

kato
Member Avatar
Kittehs Rule
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm agnostic and a pessimist.
Quote Post
Goto Top

JaviCiari
BB Alpha
[ * ]
I'm agnostic. So really I'm quite unsure if God exists or has ever existed. I have no problem with people who do believe or are religious, I just don't care to have it thrown in my face - everyone is entitled to believe in something.
Quote Post
Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Intellectual Forensics · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: