Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to Big Boards. Big Boards at one time offered the Zathyus network our long famous Resource Archives, our extensive search indexes, and our info-packed resource forums. Eventually, these were made redundant by upgrades to the documentations and expanded search features added to the ZetaBoards software, and this forum then lost relevancy and subsequently became inactive.

Our team then embarked on a new project called Planet Nexus, where a bold new experiment in forum promotion is taking place. We call it nexworking. NexusTree offers social networking pages for forums in a fully automated format. Your NexusTree page is created instantly when your join the nexus. Find out more by visiting Planet Nexus, and become part of the nexworking revolution.

Posted Image Posted Image
If you're already a member please log in to your account for additional access:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Keeping Secrets
Topic Started: Sep 10 2009, 10:53 AM (597 Views)
Moonface
Member Avatar
BB Delta
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just how much do other people here choose to keep secrets from their members? Meaning if you plan something for your forum for example, do you keep it to staff only, notify everyone, or choose which path to take based on what the secret is?

Most times, any major developments are kept between staff for my own forum, whilst the rest tends to be discussed as a whole community unless the development is a major one concerning everyone.
Posted Image
Explore A Brand New Universe!
Quote Post
Goto Top

Posted ImageNicolas
Member Avatar

Personally: When things are in the planning stages I try to keep them staff-only or to a certain group of members (we have a group of members that assist within our community with stuffs).
Then once it exits planning/has the bulk of the stuff ready I tend to tell people or drop hints... :)
That may just be me, though. xD
First he got Clay...
Next he'll get you.
When will this madness end?
When is enough really enough?
Spider Bacon
(Join the Revolution)

"I can have oodles of charm when I want to." :glare:

Posted Image
Quote Post
Goto Top

Itachi69
Member Avatar
Train Insane or remain the same
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
If it's just something little that isn't really that important but a nice update nonetheless,I'll let me members know about it before I even start on it.

..but If it's something really big,that could change the whole board for the better with all kinds ofu updates ranging from little to big all wrapped into one really big update,Then yes i keep it secret from my members and only let me staff now about it.The members are not informed of it till the day before,to give them warning that I'm turning the board offline for a day or 2 and while I'm doing it :)
Edited by Itachi69, Sep 11 2009, 11:44 AM.
Posted Image

Quote Post
Goto Top

Bluezone777
Member Avatar
BB Beta
[ *  * ]
I am not really all that big on keeping secrets so I am pretty much upfront with what I plan to do or change as I usually don't plan things out. If you ask questions then you will likely get the answer you were looking for.
Posted Image
Quote Post
Goto Top

HelenaZF
Member Avatar
advanced techno-feeb

Cory's position is usually, "They'll notice it when it happens, no need to announce it." Which may be the way we do things here mostly. In fact, we've probably made quite a few major changes that we never did announce officially.

Although with important decisions like whether to convert to ZB or not, we did get some extensive member feedback before making the ultimate decision to go ahead.
Posted Image Visit the Planet Nexus page!Posted Image

Posted Image
Download some of my graphic sets HERE
Quote Post
Goto Top

24thcenstfan
Member Avatar
BB Alpha
[ * ]
I occasionally run something by a fellow staff member or obtain general feedback from the membership, but for the most part I make and carryout all decisions on my own. I can get things done much quicker when everything isn't a consensus. That's one of the things that led to me starting my own site. I got tired of not being able to affect basic change. Very little can get done when everything has to be a consensus or is discussed to death.

If someone doesn't like what I do with the site, they know they are free to mention it. I try to accommodate the membership as much as possible. After all, I do what I do in hopes that it will make the membership enjoy interacting there and to evolve the site.
Continue your Trek at Keep On Trekkin'!
Quote Post
Goto Top

wissaboo
Member Avatar
BB Iota
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
a lot of stuff I just do and announce later. Major changes I tend to announce that they are upcoming in order to produce a little drama :lol:
Posted Image
Quote Post
Goto Top

Nivexonix
Member Avatar
Why is it so?
[ *  *  * ]
Depending on how much has been planned out and how long it will be until something is opened to the public (as far as major changes goes), I usually tend to keep things only to the administrators and staff. Preventing members from even knowing something is happening is almost always my means of operation. I don't like them to know because it ruins the surprise, and I don't like getting feedback beforehand. It sounds a little bit ridiculous, but if I have something fully planned out, then it's almost easier to change it afterwards rather than while it is still in the planning stages.
Posted Image
Posted Image
ZBCode: Great place for codes and more!
Tweet me!
Quote Post
Goto Top

bookie
BB Beta
[ *  * ]
I think the members should know whats going on behind the scenes, so a weekly update about the projects that are going on would be fine but I do think some stuff have to be kept secret.
Quote Post
Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Admin to Admin · Next Topic »
Add Reply