Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to Big Boards. Big Boards at one time offered the Zathyus network our long famous Resource Archives, our extensive search indexes, and our info-packed resource forums. Eventually, these were made redundant by upgrades to the documentations and expanded search features added to the ZetaBoards software, and this forum then lost relevancy and subsequently became inactive.

Our team then embarked on a new project called Planet Nexus, where a bold new experiment in forum promotion is taking place. We call it nexworking. NexusTree offers social networking pages for forums in a fully automated format. Your NexusTree page is created instantly when your join the nexus. Find out more by visiting Planet Nexus, and become part of the nexworking revolution.

Posted Image Posted Image
If you're already a member please log in to your account for additional access:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Stop banned members
Topic Started: Jan 27 2010, 10:34 AM (511 Views)
stephhh
BB Gamma
[ *  *  * ]
I want serious help regarding banned members continuing registering on my forum. I have banned few people along with their IPs but they kept on registering over here from different IPs and also some of them threaten me by saying they will keep on coming back.
what can I do?? please help me. Currently I have kept the registration disabled so no new members can sign in but I dont want to keep it that way as I want my forum to grow bigger.

any suggestions?
Quote Post
Goto Top

Cory
Member Avatar

This happens to be a problem that many board owners face. Unfortunately, you can't really do a thing about it, in terms of banning. Users will always have access to your site though proxies and different email addresses. However, you should turn registrations back on and consider enabling email and admin validation. Eventually, they'll get tired of re-registering email addresses (be sure to prohibit users from registering with duplicate email addresses) and using proxies to access your board.

If the users are being abusive or violating the TOS in any way, you may report them to authorities.

Good luck, and we're sorry to hear you're running into these troublesome users. We've had our fair share as well.
Quote Post
Goto Top

stephhh
BB Gamma
[ *  *  * ]
thanks Cory for your useful post, I am sure going to follow it. As for email and admin validation goes, how can I know that I user has validated her email before I go to validate her?
Quote Post
Goto Top

HelenaZF
Member Avatar
advanced techno-feeb

I believe they have to validate their email after your admin validation to login
Posted Image Visit the Planet Nexus page!Posted Image

Posted Image
Download some of my graphic sets HERE
Quote Post
Goto Top

stephhh
BB Gamma
[ *  *  * ]
I've now enabled the registration with both 'email and admin approval'. But how will I know that the new registered member who is waiting for my approval, has already verified his email?? In the 'Authorization Type', it shows admin verification. Does that means the member has verified his email?
Quote Post
Goto Top

HelenaZF
Member Avatar
advanced techno-feeb

no. the new member will verify their email after you have approved the registration.

You will know they have verified when they log onto the board.
Posted Image Visit the Planet Nexus page!Posted Image

Posted Image
Download some of my graphic sets HERE
Quote Post
Goto Top

Nuke
Czar of the Nukian Empire
[ *  *  * ]
I remember the great raid on UW.

20 accounts were gone when the dust settled.

But the raider was unbanned within a year since he became a nice guy :)

Leave on admin approval for a week for them to go away and a month if they're really dedicated and have a craving for destroying your forum in specific.

Not 5+ months like me.

Most I've seen was...2 years, though. Then a Civil War started in their forum over the staff going mad with corruption and excessive rule enforcement...and they were overthrown by a new member.

Anyway after a month your forum will be secure. Enough stories :doh:
Posted Image
Quote Post
Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Admin to Admin · Next Topic »
Add Reply