Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Budding Writers!

If you're seeing this message, you are currently viewing the forum as a guest. Although you can see all the fun, we're sure you'll enjoy the forums much more if you click that nice Register button along the header. The more the merrier!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Is homeschooling beneficial for children?
Topic Started: Monday, 13. February 2012, 13:58 (400 Views)
Cow!
Member Avatar
Moojestic Queen Moomay the Resplendent and Hot
I saw this topic today and now I'm curious as to what y'all think. Is homeschooling, in general, an effective method of producing learned and well-adjusted young people?

if you use the word "socialization" I will slap you
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Euray
Member Avatar
The Minish Trader
Depends 100% on the parents. I can't answer the question.
Blog|Webpage|Facebook

Like reflections on the page
The world's what you create

James
Member Avatar
it's all cool
I agree that a lot of it depends on the parents, but I also think it depends on the student and the curriculum. Personally, I thrived in homeschool, but I had an excellent, personalized curriculum that moved at my pace and was three years ahead of my age, I had control over how quickly I moved through subjects (I could rocket through language arts and science and take my time on maths), and once I finished my schoolwork for the day I could run around outside or go chill at the library. It did me a great deal of good.
As a counterexample, I offer my brother. He... is a classroom kid. Nothing else to it. He needs to have different teachers and he needs less one-on-one interaction and less curriculum control that I do. He learns better in a classroom setting.

It really just depends.
To protect the world from devastation.

Phovos
Member Avatar
Medicating Raptor
There are too many variables to give a proper answer.
I have a whole website. It's kinda lame though.
Posted Image

Cow!
Member Avatar
How about this then. Should homeschooling be allowed as an option?

Sfabulous
Member Avatar
Sleepy Kat
Since we've determined homeschooling, and education by extension, yields results on a very case-by-case basis, it's best left to the children and their parents to make an informed decision as to what is most suitable for them. And since regulations are obviously in place that allow students to be homeschooled currently, it isn't a hassle at all to leave that option open.

Homeschooling might lead to a disparity in the level of education of kids in the country, but the same can be said of different public/private schools which also are of different standards, so that's not as horrible as it sounds.

but really it's all about socialization um :)
Posted ImagePosted Image

Euray
Member Avatar
The Minish Trader
For some families, no, homeschooling should not be an option. I know people who will fail in society because of their schooling.

Others are much smarter than average public-schoolers. Being in a private high school (and formerly homeschooled by my now-principal, a.k.a. mom), I've been genuinely shocked at the education level of former public-schoolers.

(And between former homeschoolers and former public-schoolers, I'm the only one who can do Geometry, even though I'm a sophomore and everyone else in the class is either junior or senior. A few tests ago I got an A+ and everyone else flunked. :P )

So when it comes down to it, it does depend on the parents. Some homeschoolers I know have had a terrible education, others far better than you or I will ever get. And when you talk to their parents, it's immediately evident that whatever education level their child or children have, they are what truly makes the difference. The curriculum may have some say, but if your parents are good teachers at all, they'll switch curriculum as soon as they can if you have a poor one.
Edited by Euray, Tuesday, 14. February 2012, 16:18.
Blog|Webpage|Facebook

Jessie
Member Avatar
Hippohypocamputhalamus
Yes, homeschooling is contingent upon a multitude of variables. So is public-schooling. If you're living with a single mom and an alcoholic older brother you're not going to do significantly well in any educational situation unless you have some kind of ethereal inborn willpower that enables you to succeed under any circumstance (if this is the case, have fun winning the Nobel Prize). There's a non-profit organization that's helping to fix this problem in the United States, but we still have a ways to go.

In the world we currently live in, homeschooling should be an option. There's no chance my needs would have been met in public school, and there aren't any private schools where I live. This is less a reflection of how awesome homeschooling is, and more a reflection of how sucky public schooling is. I was pulled because 1) I was bored and 2) my parents didn't want to accelerate me yet another grade. If the curriculum successfully engaged high-achievers, I'd still be in the system. If I lived in the Mid-Atlantic, or in an urban area (pop. 500,000+), I'd still be in the system.

It'd be nice if I lived someplace where homeschooling didn't have to be the most attractive looking card in my hand, but that's not the case, so keep it around, and maybe I don't know assemble a support network?
Posted Image
2012 Poem of the Year - 2011 Best Poet

Euray
Member Avatar
The Minish Trader
Here is an article I wrote a couple weeks ago that some of you may find interesting: http://rjhorst.blogspot.com/2012/02/commentary-seven-lies-about.html

If it's ignored, then I'll repost the entire article as a quote. In other words... uh... don't ignore it. I guess.
Blog|Webpage|Facebook

Phovos
Member Avatar
Medicating Raptor
According to all of you, public school is a failure, making this incredibly biased. So I suppose I'll make an argument for public schooling.

I have been to public school all my life. I finished school with an overall score of 96%, despite learning in a second language. If I had stayed at home and schooled that way, which was a major option for me when I moved, I would end up NOT being fluent in Greek, and I would have ended up being rather lonely. Being homeschooled, unless you are in a place where homeschooling is common, does mean you have less in common with other people, and that causes confused emotions. It may not be impossible, but it is harder. The same applies to people who go to private schools, which are again very sheltered. I know people who have lived in Cyprus for 10 years and STILL can't speak Greek. These are students younger than me going to a private school, where they are sheltered from 'normal, Cypriot' students and only do one lesson of Greek a week, because otherwise students become bored of it.

Maybe I am an exception, but my siblings are both doing incredibly well too. Terroxy, my brother, has always struggled in school work and lacks in concentration at times, but school provides an environment where he can concentrate, where there is no TV or laptop or whatever to distract him. On the other hand, a friend of ours, who is on the same level as my brother, went to both private and homeschooled, and dropped out of both.

There is also the issue that parents, unlike teachers, will present far more biased thoughts when it comes to teaching their children. When a student takes an exam at school, private or public, it is marked by a teacher who does not know the student intimately, only as they see them in class and what's on the paper. A parent, on the other hand, has a much more biased view. Not all parents have the skills to be a teacher. While some people do come out of homeschool fully equipped for real life, others may not, the same as private schooling and public schooling.

Finally, you have the student. Each student is incredibly different, but there is an average that most of people fit in to, the almost industrial standard of 90-95%. A public school does its best to teach everyone, but there will ALWAYS be a 5-10% who simply do not fit in and require extra help or need to be moved up. While homeschooling and private schooling does absorb that 10%, it often leaves a bad impression on public schooling, which suddenly becomes demonized because there are some people who need more help than we can provide.

Slipping back down to reality, over here in Cyprus, the problem isn't public schools. It's private schools, which in fact offer little more than their cheaper, freer, more accessible cousins, and charge you for it.

Okay, my argument isn't very good, but I felt the argument was a bit one-sided.
Posted Image

Euray
Member Avatar
The Minish Trader
I never said or meant that public school is a failure, but it does have a tendency to produce the type of teenager that I really can't stand.

(And no, you're not necessarily included in that generalization.)
Edited by Euray, Wednesday, 15. February 2012, 14:16.
Blog|Webpage|Facebook

Cow!
Member Avatar
Imo, public schools are an awesome thing. They provide a free, basic education to people who otherwise couldn't get one. Sure, we can go on all day about all the problems in the curriculum or bullying or la dee dah, but at the end of the day, the majority of students walk out more informed and more ready to tackle the world than they would have been were they not schooled at all.

For me, public school failed on two counts. First, I'm kind of smart and also really stupid, so they always put me in advanced classes which I ended up flunking. And second, it kind of sucked having to spend so much time with kids who hated my guts for no reason.

Fine there are plenty of reasons to hate me but it still sucked okay

As to concerns about the influence of parents on homeschooled children: My parents aren't teaching me in most of my subjects, and they haven't been for several years. My education is my responsibility. While they do provide guidelines and give assignments when I run out of things to do, I'm in charge of teaching myself the material. They're not indoctrinating me into anything.

Also, I go to church like twice a year. Maybe that's why I'm such a horrible person c:

It should be pretty obvious by this point whether I think homeschooling should be allowed.
Edited by Cow!, Thursday, 16. February 2012, 04:33.

Dekky
Member Avatar
The Rock Raptor
For the last 13 years or so, I have attended public schools. Four different public schools, mind you, only one of which turned out to be a waste of time. So here's what I have to say.

Over here in New Zealand it is very rare to meet a homeschooled child. Why? Because it doesn't work. Having your parents as your teachers doesn't work. Staying at home to learn doesn't work. I happen to know my parents, and my house, very well. Too well. They are never going to help me pass exams or get a qualification, not in a quadrillion years.

Maybe I'm being blunt here, but not as blunt as Person X. Person X shall not be named here. Person X is the only person I've ever met who was homeschooled. He was giving public school a go, because his parents must have got sick of him. During our two weeks in the same class, he threw about twenty tantrums, upturned three desks, made zero friends and biffed a muffin into my face. It might be harsh to call Person X sociopathic, but I felt at the time that he matched that description.

Meanwhile here I am, public-schooled Dekarnuva, quiet and hardworking doctor of lolcanology who is almost ready for university. Last I heard, Person X was attempting to get a job at McDonald's. None of this is made up.

I could go on, but Cow! and Phovos and such have already made the less blunt statements. So there you go.
This week: I am now taking requests! If you want me to model something for you on 'Art of Illusion,' just send me a message. If you'd like to see samples of my work, check out my Art Topic! (hint: it's in the Art forum)

This mah blog. It can haz reederz? NOW WITH THIRTY-FIVE ENTRIES!
Posted Image

Dissonant
GOD
Ok, I've been in a public school since Kindergarten. I've been in two so far and neither are failures. However, this seems to vary heavily by region. The schools in the other cities of the region are almost all failures. We have many private schools but I've never met a home schooled person in the area. The problem with this question is that you fail to address what the teachers/principals/staff are like. If you are home schooled by let's say, a heart surgeon and a rocket engineer, your chance of success is pretty high. But if you are home schooled by a 2 gangsters it's not going to go so well.

Jessie
Member Avatar
Hippohypocamputhalamus
Most of the complaints about homeschooling in this thread have come from people who haven't home-schooled, and who have lived in countries where public education is in a much better state than it is in America.

An associate professor at Yale told me that I was "very social, which is unusual for a home schooler." To which I say, luls! Which home schoolers have you been hanging out with?! Poor... sheltered... Ivy League prof! xD Point being: I resent it when people tell me that I have no social skills, or am abnormally introverted, or am the spitting image of my parents' super-conservative theology, by virtue of the fact that I've been educated in my home. My parents didn't TEACH me. They bought me a curriculum which was never religiously affiliated and monitored my progress. The textbooks and online resources and even other people taught me. The amount of independent responsibility that this has naturally engendered puts me at an advantage over many public-schoolers entering college.

I live in one of the most demographically homogeneous regions in the USA -- not kidding -- and indoctrination around here is community funness. You know the "I'm a _____, and a Mormon" commercials? Do you know how many times I've stepped out the door without that sort of thing hitting me in the face? It's not an everyday occurrence. I talk to the LDS kids in my town and their sense of scope is a fifth the size of any home schooled worldview that I could name off the top of my head. I highly doubt that public schooling in Southeastern Idaho would be a total blast for anyone in this forum, just as I highly doubt that I wouldn't have benefited from going to public school in Cyprus or New Zealand.

@Dekarnuva: home schooling does work. :3 Trying not to be too much of an arrogant SOB, but I'm a National Merit Finalist, will graduate with a GPA of 4.3, and scored in the 99th percentile on the composite and three other sections of the ACT to prove that schooling at home can be effective, plus I'm an outspoken advocate of LGBT rights, am pro-choice, wouldn't mind very much if pot was legal, and wish I had more Muslim friends. The really weird thing is that I'm really not too much of an exception.

Pardon my trolololing dahlings
Posted Image
2012 Poem of the Year - 2011 Best Poet

Dissonant
GOD
@Boxter, yeah the good thing is that anyone who bothers to homeschool a kid in America is either here illegally or something( having no other choice) or probably smarter and more dedicated than the average teacher. In the modern world, if the parents are bad with no time to spend with their children, they'll just abandon them in the free public schools. In the end we have these public schools crowded with morons.

Personally I prefer public school, but only because I am a slacker and a procrastinator. Although public school is also filled with people that hate ME lol, because all I do is wait in the corner answering random questions that no one else can answer :D. I also believe the intelligence level of the average public school student is surprisingly low (especially in my state, however my city is one of the top in the state :D :D :D). To me, many of my fellow public school students seem to be ignorant, self-oriented, and somewhat cruel. Perhaps I am not the exception.

Dekky
Member Avatar
The Rock Raptor
"Trying not to be too much of an arrogant SOB, but I'm a National Merit Finalist, will graduate with a GPA of 4.3, and scored in the 99th percentile on the composite and three other sections of the ACT to prove that schooling at home can be effective, plus I'm an outspoken advocate of LGBT rights."

Sorry Manta, but as a New Zealander, I understand almost none of that. Looks like this question may indeed depend on region in a big way. Hmm...
This week: I am now taking requests! If you want me to model something for you on 'Art of Illusion,' just send me a message. If you'd like to see samples of my work, check out my Art Topic! (hint: it's in the Art forum)

This mah blog. It can haz reederz? NOW WITH THIRTY-FIVE ENTRIES!
Posted Image

Cow!
Member Avatar
^in short, he's a genius.

c:

Quote:

anyone who bothers to homeschool a kid in America is ... probably smarter and more dedicated than the average teacher
haha, no, but most of them think they are.

Phovos
Member Avatar
Medicating Raptor
Homeschooling is rather uncommon here. You can really only get your high school diploma by going to school. The few people I know who have done it haven't got very far.

It really does depend on so many factors.
Posted Image

Euray
Member Avatar
The Minish Trader
Out of curiosity, where do you live, Phovos?

EDIT: So I don't sound like a creeper, I mean what country do you live in. :P
Edited by Euray, Saturday, 25. February 2012, 16:42.
Blog|Webpage|Facebook

Phovos
Member Avatar
Medicating Raptor
Cyprus
Posted Image

Yuki Kashiwagi
Member Avatar
AKB48
I guess it all depends on the competency of the parents at teaching or the student's ability to self study and varies from person to person as they prefer different leaning environments like me the poor soul who spends all day in school and ends up learning nothing
寝ても覚めてもゆきりんワールド、夢中にさせちゃうぞ♪ ゆきりんこと柏木由紀です。よろしくお願いします。

Dissonant
GOD
If you don't agree with me that public schools are full of morons, please read my blog. Doesn't help that I live near factory worker haven.

Phovos
Member Avatar
Medicating Raptor
Že žorn
Monday, 27. February 2012, 02:15
If you don't agree with me that public schools are full of morons, please read my blog. Doesn't help that I live near factory worker haven.
It's rather cruel to bunch public school students into one big moronic bunch. There are plenty of smart students in public schools, the same way there is a mixture of all kinds of students.
Posted Image

Yuki Kashiwagi
Member Avatar
AKB48
There can also be rather poor students who end up being homeschooled because they are unable to keep up with public schools .

Phovos
Member Avatar
Medicating Raptor
Takhan
Monday, 27. February 2012, 10:28
There can also be rather poor students who end up being homeschooled because they are unable to keep up with public schools .
It goes both ways.
Posted Image

Yuki Kashiwagi
Member Avatar
AKB48
Že žorn
Monday, 20. February 2012, 01:55
@Boxter, yeah the good thing is that anyone who bothers to homeschool a kid in America is either here illegally or something( having no other choice) or probably smarter and more dedicated than the average teacher. In the modern world, if the parents are bad with no time to spend with their children, they'll just abandon them in the free public schools. In the end we have these public schools crowded with morons.

Personally I prefer public school, but only because I am a slacker and a procrastinator. Although public school is also filled with people that hate ME lol, because all I do is wait in the corner answering random questions that no one else can answer :D. I also believe the intelligence level of the average public school student is surprisingly low (especially in my state, however my city is one of the top in the state :D :D :D). To me, many of my fellow public school students seem to be ignorant, self-oriented, and somewhat cruel. Perhaps I am not the exception.
People can and will be bastards regardless of intelligence,so whoever is a selfish bastard isn't necessarily the dude with an IQ of 80, either.

Dissonant
GOD
Phovos
Monday, 27. February 2012, 08:35
Že žorn
Monday, 27. February 2012, 02:15
It's rather cruel to bunch public school students into one big moronic bunch. There are plenty of smart students in public schools, the same way there is a mixture of all kinds of students.
Yes, but I'm saying that there is a significantly higher amount of morons in Public Schools, probably due to a fact that there are too many students in a class for a teacher to handle. Some end up in Harvard, but a bunch of them end up living in their parent's basements.

Cow!
Member Avatar
^I think there are more morons in public school because there are more kids in public school.

If you mean there's a higher ratio of morons to normal people, I can't really speak to that, but I might point out that exceptional students often have more involved parents, and involved parents do weird things like homeschool their kids.

Phovos
Member Avatar
Medicating Raptor
There only seems to be more morons because there are SO MANY more people going to public school. Private schools can be just as bad.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Debates · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Furia Orange created by Sarah & Delirium of the ZNR