Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Farthing-Wood.net Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Email From Steve Walker; The writer of AOFW Season three
Topic Started: Aug 23 2007, 06:41 PM (9,792 Views)
Foxfan1992
Member Avatar
The Friendly one
I recieved an email today from Steve Walker, since there are quite a few questions involving Season three floating around, I decided to ask the writer what the answers were. Here it is.

Hi Harry,

Thanks for your email. I'm glad that there's fans of Farthing Wood out
there. I'll try to answer your questions.

You ask why Friendly was only included on one episode. The way it
worked was: I wrote the storyline, (I wrote all of series 3), then
sent this in for approval and I'd get notes back from the various
producers, animators, BBC, WDR, etc. I vaguely remember that in one of
these notes it was ordered that Friendly should be scrapped as a
character, along with another fox whose name I forget. If a reason was
given, which I doubt, I have forgotten it.

Why was the Weasels storyline 'overworked'. According to market
research the Weasals were by far the most popular players in the show,

Europe wide. A spin-off series was planned, and I wrote its first
episode, so this also was a reason for keeping them to the fore. Also,
the baby weasals had special appeal for the very young, and the LUCY
SHOW aspect of Weasal and Measley gave an excellent counterpointing to
the 'natural' woodsy goings on elsewhere.

Fox cubs for Ranger and Charmer? I dont remember why not; it may come
to me. This I will say: reasons for things on animated TV shows never
make any logical sence, because of the numbers of co-producers with
imput and resulting changes and compromises, a million times worse if
many writers are involved or are supine. In NOAH'S ISLAND (which I made

with the same company as FARTHING WQOD) I had the old mammoths produce
a calf, but uproar was the result because the producers and their
advisors thought it obscene that creatures (or indeed people) so old
should produce offspring. The mammoth calf was transformed into an
elephant child, and further trouble resulted when its grandfather
walked off ito die nto the sea. Thus, in case one I was encouraging
grandmothers to conceive and in case two I was encourging assisted
suicide. Writing for children was becoming impossible at that time, and

now, after 10 years of state repression of ideas, quite impossible.

This ageist problem would fit also Fox and Vixen in FW, but not to
Ranger and Chamrer. The reason they iddnt cub may simply have been
that there were so many foxes anyway and that to design more costs
money in design, so I may have been told not to add any more foxes.

I hope this helps, but mysteries there always will be, especially in
the woods.

Adieu,
Steve Walker

Does this answer the questions that you need to ask?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Si Targaryen
Member Avatar
Princess In Disguise
Farthing Wood Animal +
Nice one, FoxFan! :worthy:

Seems that Steve Walker himself would have prefered a more mature season 3, but had to keep the producers happy.

I wonder who the other fox who was cut was? Lady Blue or a new character?

Also, wow! there was a Weasel spin-off planned! Goes to show there is still new things to be learnt about Farthing Wood!

Bat-Snake
Member Avatar
Coming and going
Farthing Wood Animal +
Goodness me :o ! This helps quite a bit but my question is not answered...WHY THE LACK OF SINUOUS :upset: !?!? There could have been more of him...we could have seen more of what his relationship with Adder was like...I mean, we see them together most of the time and we know that he loves her but it would have been nice to see a decent love scene. And not to mention more of his character...and it would have been nice to see him and Adder fighting the rats. I mean, I can always see him saving her from an attack...that would have been interesting to see...hmm..

Quote:

and the LUCY
SHOW aspect of Weasal and Measley gave an excellent counterpointing to
the 'natural' woodsy goings on elsewhere.

Oh gosh, I never thought of it like that :crackup: ! When you think about it, they kind of ARE like Lucy and Ricky :lol: ! And AT LAST someone realized S2 had too many foxes *breaths out in releif*.

I still want to know why there was such a lack of Adder and Sinuous. It would have been nice to see at least one, two, (or maybe even three XD ) love scenes between them. I think I know why there wern't any love scenes though <_< ...

Si Targaryen
Member Avatar
Princess In Disguise
Farthing Wood Animal +
To be fair, BatSnake, I think they fitted in as much of Adder & Sinuous as was neccesary.

Mr. Mutton Chops
Member Avatar
Bold (junior)
I think when I was younger I really liked Weasel, damn, if only I supported the foxes more! <_<

He made a good point about the 'repression of ideas' it's probably why so many new cartoons are just too random and stupid because there's so much about TV being so influential for children. No child would drown themselves because theys saw it on TV or even think that 'those two animals are too old to have children' and anyway, children come from the stork so age doesn't matter! I've gone of on a bit of a tangent now, this nanny state buisness really annoys me :angry: Well done for getting a reply, they were interesting points and I've never heard that there was a proposed spin off series! ^_^

Roundhay
Member Avatar
Ice Bear
Farthing Wood Animal +
Gosh, how did I miss this??? *will read later*

Why are there so mmany typos??

Clan
Member Avatar
Phenomenal Cat!
Hellingly,Aug 23 2007
08:04 PM
Seems that Steve Walker himself would have prefered a more mature season 3, but had to keep the producers happy.

Yes, after reading that I'm even more sure that series 3 was just intended to be a cash cow milking as much as possible off the possibly unexpected success of the first two (not the only show which has tried doing that to be fair.)

I agree with bat snake, not about the whole Adder and Sinuous "stuff", but it was in danger of being like 90% foxes. And "Watership Down with foxes" is probably the last thing they wanted.

Rebs
Member Avatar
Mole (newbie)
Interesting read. Thanks for that :)

Sir Cabbage
Member Avatar
Shut...
Farthing Wood Animal +
How on earth did you manage to get in touch with him. 0_o

Interesting all the same.

Foxfan1992
Member Avatar
The Friendly one
I just searched his name on Google about a month ago, and then I found a relative site to AOFW and I knew it was him. It gave his email address at the bottom of the page. I also knew that he wrote "Noah's Island", and it said that on the site too, so that confirmed it was the same Steve Walker as who wrote Season 3 of AOFW.

Bat-Snake
Member Avatar
Coming and going
Farthing Wood Animal +
Well, I would have been happier seeing more of Adder and Sinuous...and I have a very good reason. That piglet was WAY overused :yuck: . Less of the weasels (completely get rid of the pigs) , a tad less of the foxes (not to much, just a wee tiny bit ^_^ ), less of Owl (like none of the rook, as much as I hate that...hey, I like the rook :( ), a tad bit more of the snakes. Getting rid of the pig and altering the weasel story line would have been good to get more of the snakes. For example,

Episode seven
instead of the weasel babies meeting the piglet, Measly gets (the very upset) Weasel to follow their little ones. Weasel freaks out when they step on the road. They are nearly hit, but Weasel and Measly get there just in time to save them. Weasel tells them off and then tells them about what happened to the hedgehogs. Cleo and Fido realize that they need their parents and forgive them for what happened to Rollo.

Episode eight and nine
Measly convinces Weasel to go back to White Deer Park after the Motorway incident. Cleo and Fido gladly agree, but Weasel is somewhat reluctant. In the ninth episode, Weasel throws a tantrum at Measly; she is worried about what Trey will to do her little ones.

Episode ten and eleven
As the weasels make their way back to WDP, the hurricane hits. They take shelter underground. Once it is over, they finally make it back to White Deer Park. Weasel is happy to see everyone, however, she does poke some fun at Adder for not having a mate, and thinks that she will reply with disgust...but...we all know the reaction
:( . The twins, meanwhile, are reunited with Rollo, but in a much sweeter way than what we see before.

Episode twelve and thirteen
Weasel finally forgives Adder for what she said the day before. Adder half-heartedly accepts it. The twins are practicing their fighting skills and playing with several other members of the Farthing Wood community. When Owl comes back with Hollow, Weasel has a better reaction than what we saw before. In the end, Cleo does not give Bully a chomp-chomp on the tail ("chomp chomp" XD ). First, he is badly bitten by Adder and as he is stiff with shock is crushed in the jaws of ...FOX!!! So, yus, Bully dies.

With the weasels reduced and improved, we can have a bit more of what's happening in WDP, such as...
* Dash trying to cope with Plucky's disappearance
* More realistic fights (I'd personally like to see Sinuous saving Adder from certain death...too bad she won't get to return the favor :blub: .)
* More of Adder and Sinuous in the rat base
* Snaky romance *grabs smelling salts*
* Just more of the WDP animals :rolleyes:

I should do a different version of S3 from episode 7 and up.

Si Targaryen
Member Avatar
Princess In Disguise
Farthing Wood Animal +
Bat-Snake,Aug 25 2007
01:27 AM
Well, I would have been happier seeing more of Adder and Sinuous...

But then everyone would like to see more of their favourite characters :P

Thorn
Member Avatar
Fuelled by Irn Bru, apparently!
Farthing Wood Animal +
I think its nice that a producer wrote back to you FoxFan. Good for you ^_^

boldfox
Member Avatar
Writing a comprehensive episode review right now
Mod
I'd sy there was enough of Adder and Sinuous together, although I'll always stand by my view that Sinuous' murder was far too harshly shown and even more unrealistic.

And of course all 3 main rats should have been killed, preferably like it happened in the books - Sinuous should have gotten his last stand and took down Brat.

Perhaps he should have stood up to the writers. AoFW, even with its general harshness throughout, had always benefited from that. Events like the hedgehogs being run over, the fox hunt and Bold's extreme exhaustion had to be shown and those moments made the show more than just a 'kids' cartoon.

It could have been done and Series 3 could have reached the level Series 1 and 2 hit but we all know how it failed :(

Bat-Snake
Member Avatar
Coming and going
Farthing Wood Animal +
In my opinion, the only part of AoFW that could be fixed would be the weasel story. Scrap the donkey and pigs...those are the only spots I hate...oh YES! And the bats could be gone! I've always imagined bats being polite and social, like they really are...'course, the rats are different from how they really are in both the book and series- Very clean and friendly enough that they're the best pet rodents.

To me, saying there was enough of Adder and Sinuous sounds like there was too little of the weasels and their STUPID piglet <_< . I mean, to me, there was so much of Owl's story and the weasel's storys that there wasn't enough room to fit the snakes in. It really hurts for me to watch the formerly pompus old Owl to have several sweet scenes with Hollow while there are none or arn't as many with the snakes. And then the weasels! Grrr...far too much of the weasels!

It would have been nice to see the weasel story line COMPLETELY different, the Owl story line altered (no bats or rook) and none of Hollow making up pretty young females (like they could be hunting and Owl accidently flew into the cement) which will leave more room for the WDP storyline; keep Friendly. So, with that said, Foxfan and I would be happy...in fact we all would since there would be no pigs to drive us up the wall more than Hurkel!

And the majority of everyone's favorite characters are the foxes; not saying absolutly EVERYONE here likes the foxes, but they seem to be the only characters everyone cares about and they get more screen time than everyone else...which is why I don't like S2 very much. So many foxes that it annoys me :irked: . So if everyone would want to see more of their favorite characters, that would make it more of just a show to the foxes only like Watership Down is to rabbits. Getting kinda...hypocritical...because I'm writing a story that's mostly about snakes but it won't be like Watership Down because there's a lot more than just one non-snake character...and...blah...

Roundhay
Member Avatar
Ice Bear
Farthing Wood Animal +
Can I just ask, why is there the warning sign on this thread?

Foxfan1992
Member Avatar
The Friendly one
It's not meant to be a warning sign, it's meant to be an exclamation sign, an important thread. Sort of like the symbol for a major step into unlocking mysteries within AOFW.

Bat-Snake
Member Avatar
Coming and going
Farthing Wood Animal +
I guess it means it's a "must read thread" sign; something to say "look!"

Foxfan1992
Member Avatar
The Friendly one
Exactly, Bat-snake has cracked the code to the mysterious appearance of the exclamation mark on the thread.

Roundhay
Member Avatar
Ice Bear
Farthing Wood Animal +
^_^

Indeed

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Fox's Den · Next Topic »
Add Reply