Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Farthing-Wood.net Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Bbc Making New Watership Down Series.; New animated series.
Topic Started: Jul 11 2014, 09:44 AM (1,191 Views)
Si Targaryen
Member Avatar
Princess In Disguise
Farthing Wood Animal +
The BBC are making their own adaptation of Watership Down.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a58328...ted-series.html

If done well, this could be great. BBC1 have a reputation for great adaptations of classic novels. The film, while a classic, was restricted by the running time, and the CITV series went too far away from the novel (and that was before the batsh!t crazy 3rd season!), so I'm hoping for a decent faithful adaptation.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sir Cabbage
Member Avatar
Shut...
Farthing Wood Animal +
Gosh, well this certainly wasn't something I was expecting. My main thought is that it may well be CGI (I suppose if anything it would differentiate it from the film and CITV series), and again aimed quite clearly for children, if it's to be something just for the CBBC channel. There's not enough information as yet, but for sure something to look in to as more news comes.

Rhabarberaffen

Farthing Wood Animal+
Ouuu, well, this is certainly intriguing! I hope they do a better job of it than that cartoon XD And yes... would be nice to see it done with 2D animation, maybe sort of in the more realistic style of the film... but I guess we'll see XD It's more than likely going to be CGI - if it is, I hope they do a good job with it XD

Hehe, fun news though! Thanks for sharing ^_^ I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure.

Tsuki
Member Avatar
Partying like it's 1999
Farthing Wood Animal +
Ohhh interesting :D

Clan
Member Avatar
Phenomenal Cat!
I really hope it's good.

It's good they're picking up the franchise but I can't get too stoked for it until I see how well they've done it. The CITV series, for all it's great casting, was all kinds of terrible. Wasn't that awful animal farm adaptation a bbc thing too?

Basically, I take this news in the same way as the news about the new Star Wars film. With a pinch of salt! Ignore my cynicism though XD

Si Targaryen
Member Avatar
Princess In Disguise
Farthing Wood Animal +
The fact that this is thought to be for BBC One (as it suggests in the article), rather than CBBC, is promising. It suggests a proper adaptation for all the the family rather than a "kids series" like the CITV one. Since the move of all children's programming to the CBBC / Cbeebies channels, BBC One would only be broadcasting a series like this if it would be something that would appeal to adults too.

I have a good feeling about this. Could be the best adaption yet.

Clan
Member Avatar
Phenomenal Cat!
I hope you're proved right Si. I will be over the moon if they do the original narrative justice on the screen. The original film adaptation is a beautiful animated feature in many ways, but it isn't flawless. One thing I'd really like to see is more emphasis on the folklore and the El-Ahrairah stories.

It's actually in the interest of anthropomorphism in fiction and TV that this is done well. "Talking animals" have been looked down on by publishers and the like for a long time now, and if this is done well, and well-received then it might open certain doors to other things.

I will definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Slainmonkey
Member Avatar

King +
I'll reserve judgement until it's made, I mean we all know how things went with that other Watership Down series.......

RosesNGuns
Member Avatar
Sheep in a snowstorm.
Farthing Wood Animal +
Considering the BBC have done very faithful and engaging (both for adults and children) adaptations of classic kids books like The Borrowers, and the Narnia chronicles, I think there is hope to be had for this.

Reminds me ... I need to find the proper version of 'Five children and It' on DVD (not the abysmal film re-make).

Si Targaryen
Member Avatar
Princess In Disguise
Farthing Wood Animal +
RosesNGuns,Jul 12 2014
04:23 PM

Reminds me ... I need to find the proper version of 'Five children and It' on DVD (not the abysmal film re-make).

It's recently been re-released.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Five-Children-And-...children+and+it

I have it from when it was first released on DVD a few years ago, along with The Borrowers series 1 & 2.

>>>

The other thing I forgot to say about this new WD series is that the writer looks promising. I've never watched My Mad Fat Diary, but I've heard it's good and has won a BAFTA. The fact that they have got a writer with a drama / soap background is another reason why I'm confident this won't be a fluffy kids version.

Clan
Member Avatar
Phenomenal Cat!
^ Fun! Used to like that, and the Phoenix and the Carpet. Proper childhoody stuff there.

I'll admit WD looks good on paper. I'm not going to allow myself to get excited but it's cool that it's in the pipeline :3

Si Targaryen
Member Avatar
Princess In Disguise
Farthing Wood Animal +
Found some more details about this new adaptation. It will be a 4-part CGI animation and will probably be shown next year.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-05-12/...go-ahead-by-bbc

I don't where this person at Radio Times got the idea that "Thumper" is one of the Watership Down rabbits...wrong story! :D

Bat-Snake
Member Avatar
Coming and going
Farthing Wood Animal +
I'm quite fond of the title of one of the linked articles. "Why would you put another generation through the trauma of Watership Down"?

Measly
Member Avatar

King +
I remember that 1990's Watership Down TV show.

Rhabarberaffen

Farthing Wood Animal+
Gosh, how time flies - I could have sworn this topic had been brought up more recently!

Anyways, all quiet on the Watership front this past few years maybe, however, I just spied this colouring book pre-order after a chat with our local Blackwell's books dude! Perhaps a sneak peek at the art style they've gone for? (In which case, I like!) Seems like they are setting up for a 2018 release after all. Note the BBC and Netflix logos on the front, and the use of past tense in the blurb, "has been made".

https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/product/Watership-Down-The-Colouring-Book/9781509899777

Has anyone else heard any official information about when it might be released? Wikipedia currently seems to suggest "late 2018", and up until recently, November 2018 and also early 2019. IMDB is showing "unknown".

Thought I'd share anyway ^_^

Si Targaryen
Member Avatar
Princess In Disguise
Farthing Wood Animal +
Last thing I heard, when one of he voice cast (can't think of who the actor was) was interviewed on This Morning a few months back, was this Christmas. The fact that colouring book, and also this book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Watership-Down-Gift-Picture-Storybook-ebook/dp/B07DCT9BWD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533215482&sr=8-1&keywords=watership+down are both due for release at the end of November, would seem to confirm this.

The fact that the series has been in production for so long, makes me hopeful that it's going to be a good standard.

Tsuki
Member Avatar
Partying like it's 1999
Farthing Wood Animal +
Oh wow! Love the sound of that colouring book. Yeh we were discussing this at the wedding and I was intrigued because I hadn't heard any news. But I'm pleased it still seems to be in the works.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Other Animations · Next Topic »
Add Reply