Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Farthing-Wood.net Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New Editions For 2016; The first novel & The Adventure Begins
Topic Started: Feb 13 2016, 08:05 PM (6,072 Views)
Si Targaryen
Member Avatar
Princess In Disguise
Farthing Wood Animal +
Couple of re-releases of Farthing Wood books in paperback this year.

The first is yet another re-release of the original novel with another new cover. Due to be released on the 25th of this month.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Animals-Farthing-W...f+farthing+wood

This time the artist seems to have been inspired by the logo / opening titles from the TV series, with a similar grouping of some of the animals and the moon above them. Nothing extraordinary about this, Egmont seem to re-release the original novel (the only one of Colin Dann's books they have the rights to) in paperback every five years. There was also the hardback "Egmont Classics" edition in 2013.

The second release is rather more interesting. Due on the 7th of July, it's a new paperback release of The Adventure Begins.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Animals-Farthing-W...f+farthing+wood

Now the first thing that struck me was the bit in brackets "A Puffin Book". This book and the sequels were all previously published by Red Fox (part of the Random House group). A quick bit of research revealed that Random House merged with Penguin (of which Puffin is their children's division) in 2013. This will be the first new physical copy edition of any of the Farthing Wood books (bar the original) in a decade and a half (the last new editions of the sequels and TAB were the three "Collection" omnibus editions in 2000).

The other interesting thing is that it is listed as having 356 pages. Anyone who has ever read The Adventure Begins will know that it is the shortest of the Farthing Wood books at 138 pages. So either this is an error (the Puffin website also say 356 pages), or this new edition will be in much larger print and / or have a lot more illustrations than the original Red Fox edition.

Also, this news gives hope that we could see new editions of the six Farthing Wood sequels in shops at some point.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Fox G9
Member Avatar
Resident Glowworm
Farthing Wood Glow-worm
Interesting to see and definitely hoping to see the others get a re-release. Even if the TAOFW cover is a bit...Eh.

Si Targaryen
Member Avatar
Princess In Disguise
Farthing Wood Animal +
Ok, so I found the new edition of The Animals of Farthing Wood in Waterstones this afternoon and had a quick flick through it after noticing it was a slightly thicker volume than the previous editions. Rather than just an updated cover, it is a complete re-print. I think the font is slightly larger than the previous paperback version. Also, this edition contains a small section of "bonus material" at the back. There is a character guide, a guide to making your own nature reserve, a quiz to see if you would survive the journey to WDP, and the most exciting feature - a short interview with the usually elusive Colin Dann!

He answers questions about conservation and favourite books, but the most interesting thing I discovered is the answer to something that has been discussed on here before - where the books are set. Farthing Wood is not based on any particular place (so you guys who thought you'd found Farthing Wood and White Deer Park on Google Maps, it was just a coincidence), but inspired by various places in South East England. He says that he only became aware of real places called Farthing Wood after he wrote the book.

Although I've got the book twice already, I'm tempted to get this edition for the rareness of an interview with the man himself.

Fox G9
Member Avatar
Resident Glowworm
Farthing Wood Glow-worm
Oh wow, that's definitely something worth looking into then.

Si Targaryen
Member Avatar
Princess In Disguise
Farthing Wood Animal +
Just bought it! That's three editions of the original novel I have now! :D

This edition has the same chapter headings as the 2013 Heriage Classics hardback (chapter numbers in roman numerals and and a little picture of fox running), but unlike that edition, it also has the original illustrations within the chapters. The text is also printed with double-spacing which makes it easier to read than the old paperback edition.

In other news, the cover for the new edition of The Adventure Begins has been revealed.

https://www.penguin.co.uk/puffin/books/2927...venture-begins/

I like it. It looks very retro.

It is now being listed as having 272 pages, which is almost double the page length of the old Red Fox edition.

Si Targaryen
Member Avatar
Princess In Disguise
Farthing Wood Animal +
Apologies for the double post. I don't know if anyone else is interested in the new editions of the books, but my copy of The Adventure Begins (2016 Puffin edition) arrived today.

The text is in a very large font, more suited for younger readers than the target age range of the Farthing Wood books (9-12 years), hence why the page count is twice the size of the original 1994 edition. The illustrations for the chapter headings are the originals from the 1994 edition by Trevor Newton.

As with February's new edition of The Animals of Farthing Wood, this book also has a section of bonus material at the back. There are quizzes, facts, how to plant a tree, a timeline of Colin Dann's career and the publishing of the various FW books. Also, for the second time this year we hear from the usually elusive Mr Dann himself. This time he explains how and why he came to write a prequel to TAOFW.

I'm not as impressed with this book as I was with the new edition of TAOFW, due to the rather ugly font size, which considering the violent and disturbing nature of some of the scenes in the book, seems immature. However, I really like the cover illustration (which incidently is where my avatar pic comes from) and the slightly retro looking style of the cover. Plus it's great to have another one of the books re-released and hopefully the sequels might follow.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Badgers Set · Next Topic »
Add Reply