Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Stlouislegends. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!
Please follow these rules:
1. No slandering members, players, other staff members of other forums. Slander is very serious, as it can cause lawsuits. If you don't like someone whether it be a member here, a player, or other people, do not under any circumstances call them names, make fun of their sexuality, or....can't remember
2. Keep language PG-13. No obscene language. Editing with symbols such as @#!* is not permitted either.
3. No name calling. The staff has built this place as a different forum from CTs. We like debates, but we expect members to respect others and their opinions.
4. No sexually explicate material. Keep pictures PG-13. NO nudity!

5. No hate speech. Hate speech is any communication which disparages a person or a group on the basis of some characteristic such as race or sexual orientation
6. Spamming is not allowed, unless you have permission by the staff. advertising another forum advertise here as long as they do it once and with the staff's permission, please don't advertise goods and services.

Failure to adhere to the rules will result in a verbal warning.
Second offense will result in a weeks banning
Third offense you will be banned.

Spamming will result in an immediate banning.

Note: St. Louis Legends staff reserves the right to dismiss any member of their choosing for whatever reason.
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Rule 5 draft closing in
Topic Started: Nov 13 2017, 02:52 AM (150 Views)
waterdown
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Seems the Cards have just over a week to set their 40 man rooster 11/20
Might be a busy week as they need to deal some players or lose them
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Prot
Member Avatar
I'll admit the possibility that I am Robert Porter if you'll admit the possibility I am from KPAX
[ *  *  * ]
I was thinking about the same thing. I have low confidence that anything of merit will happen. I won't be surprised to see us give away another player to the Rule 5 because our front office is so in love with their prospects. Either that or they will give one away for nothing like they have done in the past.

Yeah, I'm still cynical.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MIDMOBIRD
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
waterdown
Nov 13 2017, 02:52 AM
Seems the Cards have just over a week to set their 40 man rooster 11/20
Might be a busy week as they need to deal some players or lose them
They need to chop some veteran wood and put the better prospects on the 40 man. They could also use some excess guys to shore up the bullpen in a trade or three. Definitely have a lot of holes on this roster.

Sigonella
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Unfortunately, we just have more players than slots.....so I expect to lose someone.

Prot
Member Avatar
I'll admit the possibility that I am Robert Porter if you'll admit the possibility I am from KPAX
[ *  *  * ]
I am prepared for failure on the trade front and loss of at least one decent prospect in the rule 5. I truly think Mo values our prospects more than anyone else does, including the radical fans. The best prospects we have are mediocre. Unless and until Mo is out of the loop for any negotiation, I am prepared for more mediocrity. Talk is cheap and that's all we got.

waterdown
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Looking back at Perdermo it wasn't that huge of a loss. He wound up with an ERA of almost 5 and is already 24. Never really had good numbers in the minors and likely just a back end guy at best

Sigonella
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Last I heard they had 5 slots on the 40 man. 4 if they want to look at a rule 5 pickup themselves. I'm pretty sure O'Neill and Wisdom get 2 of those slots. Hicks might get another. Mercado another. After the first 2, I'm not sure.

Of course, if they trade 3 or 4 from the 40 man that number will go up, but they only have until Monday, the 20th.

Edited by Sigonella, Nov 15 2017, 06:03 PM.

Prot
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Besides the players already on the 40 man roster the following (if I'm not mistaken) minor leaguers are subject to Rule 5.

Some of those include:
Tyler O'Neill (Cards #4 prospect) - RF age=22
Austin Gomber (Cards #15 prospect) - LHP age=23
Oscar Mercado (Cards ##18 prospect) - CF age=22
Daniel Poncedeleon (Cards #34 prospect) - RHP age=25
Patrick Wisdom - 3B age=26
Arturo Reyes - RHP age=25
Matt Pearce - RHP age=23
Trey Nielson - RHP age=26
Andrew Morales - RHP age=24
Kevin Herget - RHP age=26
John Nogowski - 1B age=24

Which of those players are worth protecting? I think the first 6 on the list might be taken by somebody.

Sigonella
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Jennifer Longosch ?? had an article on Stlcardinals.com about this that I just read.

She says the Cards have more than 50 players eligible for the rule 5 draft if not protected.

some of the standouts (mostly your list Prot)

top of the List and they are in the Cards top 30 prospects:
4. OF Tyler O'Neill
15. LHP Austin Gomber
18. CF Oscar Mercado

She expects all three to be added.

She says 3B Patrick Wisdom has been exposed twice and passed over twice but 31 hr and 89 rbi might make him attractive to someone. Also, his age (26) and the fact that the Cards have others on the depth chart ahead of him might make him vulnerable. But the Cards did mull over bringing him up during the season....

Others notables:

All of these pitchers played in AAA last year: Matt Pearce, Trey Nielson, Andrew Morales, Kevin Herget, and Daniel Poncedeleon (who didn't pitch after being struck by a line drive in May that almost killed him). They might be attractive to somebody.

Also mentionable: 1B John Nogowski and P Arturo Reyes. Both played in Arizona Fall League and didn't do well.

waterdown
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Brad Hand is available and the fathers could use OF help. Got till 7 PM Monday, get going Mo

Sigonella
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Yeah, I read that one too.

Prot
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I found a more complete list of potential Rule 5 draftees for the Cards.

We have 35 players currently on the 35 and 28 players that would be eligible to be R5 drafted for a total of 63. Obviously they aren't worried about all of them.

COMPLETE CARDINALS ROSTER DEPTH LIST

Sigonella
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
They added O'Neill, Gomber, and Mercado as expected and a pitcher named Derian Gonzalez who hasn't pitched above A ball.

waterdown
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Looks like they left some exposed that might get plucked.
Noticed Mark Appel got DFA

Sigonella
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Luhnow got that one wrong...

waterdown
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Kind of curious they couldn't deal Wisdom. seems quite likely to get nabbed in the draft

waterdown
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Yawn
Nobody went after Wisdom. Guess we do overvalue our players.

MIDMOBIRD
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
We picked up a (gasp) pair of outfielders in the minor league draft. Why I have no idea. Maybe they think they are Roberto Clemente or something.

Sigonella
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
According to the PD, they got those guys in the minor league portion due to a technicality that also helped them lose Cordoba last year.

Regarding Wisdom, Goold in his weekly chat, when asked about Wisdom, said that no one would probably take him before the rule 5 draft if they couldn't put him on the 40 man roster. NOW, he can become a trade chip, because the team that takes him does not have to put him on the 40 man at this time. And he seemed to think there was some interest in him.

« Previous Topic · The Redbird's Nest · Next Topic »
Add Reply