Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Stlouislegends. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!
Please follow these rules:
1. No slandering members, players, other staff members of other forums. Slander is very serious, as it can cause lawsuits. If you don't like someone whether it be a member here, a player, or other people, do not under any circumstances call them names, make fun of their sexuality, or....can't remember
2. Keep language PG-13. No obscene language. Editing with symbols such as @#!* is not permitted either.
3. No name calling. The staff has built this place as a different forum from CTs. We like debates, but we expect members to respect others and their opinions.
4. No sexually explicate material. Keep pictures PG-13. NO nudity!

5. No hate speech. Hate speech is any communication which disparages a person or a group on the basis of some characteristic such as race or sexual orientation
6. Spamming is not allowed, unless you have permission by the staff. advertising another forum advertise here as long as they do it once and with the staff's permission, please don't advertise goods and services.

Failure to adhere to the rules will result in a verbal warning.
Second offense will result in a weeks banning
Third offense you will be banned.

Spamming will result in an immediate banning.

Note: St. Louis Legends staff reserves the right to dismiss any member of their choosing for whatever reason.
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Who now?
Topic Started: Dec 9 2017, 07:01 PM (295 Views)
MIDMOBIRD
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Prot
Dec 20 2017, 03:47 PM
I sure hope they are not finished with the off season acquisitions, cause they haven't done anywhere near enough to be competitive. As of now we will be in the same situation as last year, clawing and clinging to a hope that we can somehow squeak into a wild card spot. It will likely be over a little earlier in the season unless something changes. The offense may be slightly better, but both the starting pitching and bull pen are worse so far. Defense and base running have not improved unless Oquendo can somehow work some magic.
Right, Gregorson addition is not sufficient to make up for the losses from an already weak pen. They need a closer. Wainwright is a huge concern, and Wacha is not a lock to be consistently good. I'd like another starter.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

waterdown
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
I think our offense will be ok but not great.
On the offensive their really is much available as the hugely better than what we have. Blue Jays think they can compete. JD Martinez can't field

Definitely need a closer and could use another SP.
Not really much happening with any FAs this year.
Shithead Boras has top FAs andnothing happens til they sign. Sure things will heat up in January.

Our FO has been one of the most active so far, but you're definitely right we need more arms to compete.
We lost four relievers and 2 starters from last year
Edited by waterdown, Dec 22 2017, 11:27 PM.

MIDMOBIRD
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Hope the fruit starts hanging low so Mo will send Girsch in for a basket of rotten pitching.

Prot
Member Avatar
I'll admit the possibility that I am Robert Porter if you'll admit the possibility I am from KPAX
[ *  *  * ]
I am pessimistic - as usual.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MIDMOBIRD
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Prot
Dec 29 2017, 05:30 AM
I am pessimistic - as usual.
Track record says they won't do much more. Mo is still recovering from having an orgasm over the Ozuna deal.

waterdown
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Wade Davis to the Rockies
Lyons will do fine as a closer ya know
Edited by waterdown, Dec 29 2017, 10:18 PM.

MIDMOBIRD
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
waterdown
Dec 29 2017, 10:17 PM
Wade Davis to the Rockies
Lyons will do fine as a closer ya know
Unless one of the rookies goes all Todd Worrell we might be in for a really long season.

waterdown
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Tui showed some promise last year. Hope Maddux can get him away from using the same 3-4 guys ever night while others languish on the bench

Prot
Member Avatar
I'll admit the possibility that I am Robert Porter if you'll admit the possibility I am from KPAX
[ *  *  * ]
As the team is currently constructed, I am convinced we are 5 wins worse than last year unless Maddox takes over the pitching substitutions.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Skoffer
Hey! Give it a rest!
[ *  *  * ]
Offense - A little better
Pitching - A little worse

Nothing to get excited about, yet. I imagine the Cardinals will be mediocre through the ASG. Then, when Toronto and Baltimore realize they can't compete with the Yankees, they will come calling, since we were interested in Donaldson and Machado.

redbird5
Member Avatar
The Bossman
[ *  *  * ]
It's an odd decade. The Cardinals seem to have a hex on them during odd decades.

Sigonella
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
I don't know what's going to happen. Like Prot, I kinda remain pessimistic but hopeful. ( I still believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Great Pumpkin!!!! LOL)

The rotation looks thin to me. I actually think Waino will be OK this year. He's a bulldog and has something to prove. The writers now say that wins for a pitcher is a useless stat, but Waino HAS ALWAYS been a winner. I don't like the idea that 6 innings and you're done. I grew up, as did Mids and Prot, where a pitcher was EXPECTED to finish what he started. Gibson probably finished more games in one year than all 30 teams had last year from their starting pitchers.
Wacha has been conditioned to pitch 6 innings...period. Martinez may have no. 1 potential, but he's got to pull his head out of his ass and show it. Pitcher's fielding practice should start at 6 AM for him and stop about 8 PM. That killed him last year. Weaver beat the losing teams but....can he beat the tough ones. Mikolas, IMHO, came to St. Louis because Maddux was here. Lots of teams wanted him, but will success in the Japanese leagues mean success in MLB. But he was throwing strikes there so he should throw strikes here. Just hoping they don't hit him different here.
Reyes should be OK and in the pen, but waiting for someone to falter.

The pen:
Bowman - runs hot and cold, but more hot usually....might be overused when hot.
Brebbia - was surprisingly good last year, but can he maintain.
Cecil - nowhere to go but up....
Gregerson - good setup man
Lyons - good setup man...but can be burned out also if working well
Tuivailala - showed promise last year but wasn't used in high leverage situations much.

If they sign another pitcher or 2 for the pen....and also have Reyes...one or two of those guys won't be in the Loo.

Catching is OK. I've read the plan is to have Kelly catch 1 or 2 games a week. I'll actually believe that when I actually see Santa, the Bunny, and the Pumpkin!!!!!!

First base - right now Carpenter, with Voit and Martinez to back him up. Some places think Hosmer will sign. I'm not sure he's better than what we have. I could go with a trade to San Diego to get Wil Myers. He has power but 30 hrs and 74 rbi to me means he homers or busts.

Second - Wong. Finally learned to NOT hit for the fences and use his ability. Will he continue or is he trade bait. Gyorko can play second.

Shortstop - Dejong...nuff said

Third - Gyorko for now. I, for one, don't want a one year rental where you give up the farm. That's nonsense and stupidity to me, unless you want to go for it for one year only. Not acceptable to me.....

OF - Pham - hopefully he can continue doing what he did
Ozuna - hopefully he can continue doing what he did
Fowler - put him in one spot in the order and let him go. He did career numbers and was hurt a lot. So the OF might be a strength.

Where they go from here I have no idea. Mo likes to have things in place by the winter warmup and that's in 2 weeks, so maybe we'll know more then.

Most of the big FA'S are with Bora$$. He'll hold them out forever until he gets the money he wants. And some teams won't deal with him. So, it's going to be awhile. And I think one reason it's moving so slowly is that teams no longer want to sign 7 to 10 year deals for big $$$$. That hasn't worked for anyone.

RANT OVER......LOL

MIDMOBIRD
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks Sig! I think a lot of the best laid plans would work out better with one stunning move. Fire Matheny.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
« Previous Topic · The Redbird's Nest · Next Topic »
Add Reply