Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Stlouislegends. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!
Please follow these rules:
1. No slandering members, players, other staff members of other forums. Slander is very serious, as it can cause lawsuits. If you don't like someone whether it be a member here, a player, or other people, do not under any circumstances call them names, make fun of their sexuality, or....can't remember
2. Keep language PG-13. No obscene language. Editing with symbols such as @#!* is not permitted either.
3. No name calling. The staff has built this place as a different forum from CTs. We like debates, but we expect members to respect others and their opinions.
4. No sexually explicate material. Keep pictures PG-13. NO nudity!

5. No hate speech. Hate speech is any communication which disparages a person or a group on the basis of some characteristic such as race or sexual orientation
6. Spamming is not allowed, unless you have permission by the staff. advertising another forum advertise here as long as they do it once and with the staff's permission, please don't advertise goods and services.

Failure to adhere to the rules will result in a verbal warning.
Second offense will result in a weeks banning
Third offense you will be banned.

Spamming will result in an immediate banning.

Note: St. Louis Legends staff reserves the right to dismiss any member of their choosing for whatever reason.
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Card links I've read about
Topic Started: Jan 5 2018, 08:46 PM (172 Views)
Sigonella
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Well, I've read the Cards are checking the tires on Hosmer and Moustakas and like both. IMHO, I'd rather keep Carp at 1st. Defense might be better but it would be throwing $$$ away like if they had signed Heyward. They can get almost the same offense out of Carp and Hosmer has had one great year (last year) and has a history of good, bad, good, bad, good years, with this one scheduled to be BAD.

I could take Moustakas, I think. But his defense is atrocious. Makes 15 to 20 errors a year. Gyorko ain't great, but he gets the job done.

I've read they are in somewhat on Arrieta, but only want a 2 or 3 year contract not 5 or 6.

Holland wanted a 5 year contract, but with Davis signing for 3 years, he may have to also settle for 3 years.

Reed - haven't heard much beyond they have talked to his agent...but then again, they have probably talked to every agent out there. The way the market is moving, I don't think anyone is going to get much over 5 year contracts. Long term just doesn't work...

Anybody heard anything else?

I still wish they would trade for Colome.....in Tampa.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Prot
Member Avatar
I'll admit the possibility that I am Robert Porter if you'll admit the possibility I am from KPAX
[ *  *  * ]
I would be okay with Hosmer but if I were the GM, I wouldn't sign him for a long term contract - so in other words PASS.

I don't see Moustakas as bad on defense as you portray him. Last year he sure looked bad, but he has been a good defender in his career. That being said, I don't see him as an improvement. I would prefer Hosmer, but wouldn't sign either if it were me.

I think they should go hard after Arrieta as long as they can get him for 4 years or less.

Holland would be a good fall back, but his trends over the last few years causes me pause. His velocity has steadily declined each of the last 3 years. We need a closer and for me he would be my 3rd target, primarily because of what he would cost in the long run - not so much worried about the short run.

I would prefer Reed over Holland even though he has less Closer experience because of his age. He is 29 vs 32 and closers are rode hard and dont last long.

I would absolutely prefer Colome. At 24, he should have a lot left in the tank. I wouldn't be afraid of giving up a few prospects for him.

I really haven't heard much of anything lately and that concerns me. I think they desperately need a closer, seriously need a top of the rotation type starter and could use a new corner infielder. The pitching staff as currently constructed has entirely too much hope and way too little reliability. The only way it is even above average is if "everything" falls into place. That is no way to start a season. The only real improvement I see over last year is the absence of Broxton.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MIDMOBIRD
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]

I want them to get more pitching. 2 bullpen, possibly one starter. I expect them to do nothing.

waterdown
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Hard to understand how how 7/150 for Hosmer is a better deal than 3/60 for Santana. There's a head scratcher

Sigonella
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Bora$$ wants the long term contracts but I don't think many of them are going to get what they want. Long term contracts mean lots of dead $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in your budget for a loooooong time, usually. Locks you down, traps you. Look at all the long term contracts dumped this year. There are teams that are stupid but many of them are coming out of it.

MIDMOBIRD
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Hoping you are right, hold the line, maybe a couple will fall in our laps.

Sigonella
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Read today -- Hosmer 5 years $120 mil.....Hummell said he'd heard that too.

But he kept saying.....It's still early and that most (if not all) the players the Cards wanted were still out there. So be patient. We should know a lot more in the next week to 10 days. (His words not mine).

He also didn't think the Cards would sign ANY pitcher for more than 3 years. Leake and Cecil being examples of why they would not.

And I got the impression that they wouldn't want to go more than 4 or 5 on any others.

Edited by Sigonella, Jan 9 2018, 04:32 AM.

Sigonella
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Well, we missed on Addison Reed. 2 yrs, 17 million. Very doable. Thanks, MO, for blowing another one.

waterdown
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Sigonella
Jan 13 2018, 08:51 PM
Well, we missed on Addison Reed. 2 yrs, 17 million. Very doable. Thanks, MO, for blowing another one.
yeah I really don't know what goes in the front office
Their methods blows it

Prot
Member Avatar
I'll admit the possibility that I am Robert Porter if you'll admit the possibility I am from KPAX
[ *  *  * ]
Freak Mo and DeWitt! MMM sucks, but even Houdini couldn't do much with this roster.

spiritofstlouis
Member Avatar
From the dregs of the diseased mind
[ *  *  * ]
I might be in the minority (spoiler alert !), but I think the Redbirds will do fine at the plate. Pitching, maybe not so much, but all these arms gotta pitch sometime.

:cards: :cards: :cards:

Prot
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
spiritofstlouis
Feb 4 2018, 04:08 AM
I might be in the minority (spoiler alert !), but I think the Redbirds will do fine at the plate. Pitching, maybe not so much, but all these arms gotta pitch sometime.

:cards: :cards: :cards:
I think they helped the offense. Was it enough? Only if Pham, Gyorko, and DeJung can repeat.

Pitching is highly questionable at best and really very suspect.

Sigonella
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
I'm an optimist. I think they can hit but like Prot says, Dejong has to hit as do Wong, Pham, and Gyorko. I also want to see a healthy Carpenter and Fowler do their thing.

Waino will be OK, I am worried about Weaver and Mikolas, though. BP,,,well, I still think they need one more arm and Chief Mujica ain't it.

ColtsOriolesBullets1971
Member Avatar
Personal Guest of "SPIRIT OF ST. LOUIS"
[ *  *  * ]
o

The Cardinals Must Sign Jake Arrieta to Finish the Offseason

(By Evan Massey)

https://www.inquisitr.com/opinion/4808418/st-louis-cardinals-must-sign-jake-arrieta-to-finish-the-offseason/

o

MIDMOBIRD
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
ColtsOriolesBullets1971
Mar 2 2018, 01:04 AM
o

(By Evan Massey)

https://www.inquisitr.com/opinion/4808418/st-louis-cardinals-must-sign-jake-arrieta-to-finish-the-offseason/

o
I want no part of that sore armed slug. If they sign him don't they have to give up their second round pick to the cubs? I say hell to the no!

waterdown
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
MIDMOBIRD
Mar 2 2018, 04:39 AM
ColtsOriolesBullets1971
Mar 2 2018, 01:04 AM
o

(By Evan Massey)

o
I want no part of that sore armed slug. If they sign him don't they have to give up their second round pick to the cubs? I say hell to the no!
Pass. we got better in the pipeline

Prot
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Personally, I'm not sold on the hype for our pitching prospects. I've heard it all before. They've been saying the same thing for 6 or 7 years and yet none of them stick. I'll believe it when I see it.

waterdown
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Lynn, Martinez, Reyes and a number of good relievers have come through our system. Weaver looked solid last year.
Not sure though how many real good starters beyond that. More likely some decent relievers. I think Tui could have done more last year given the chance

ColtsOriolesBullets1971
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
o

Lance Lynn is Stuck in Free Agent Purgatory

(By Russ Robinson)

https://redbirdrants.com/2018/03/05/st-louis-cardinals-lance-lynn-free-agent-purgatory/

o

ColtsOriolesBullets1971
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
ColtsOriolesBullets1971
Mar 6 2018, 09:54 PM
o

Lance Lynn is Stuck in Free Agent Purgatory

(By Russ Robinson)

https://redbirdrants.com/2018/03/05/st-louis-cardinals-lance-lynn-free-agent-purgatory/

o
o

Lance Lynn Heading to the Twins After 6-Year Run in St. Louis

(ESPN.Com News Services)

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22716192/lance-lynn-minnesota-twins-reach-one-year-deal

o

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Redbird's Nest · Next Topic »
Add Reply