Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Stlouislegends. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!
Please follow these rules:
1. No slandering members, players, other staff members of other forums. Slander is very serious, as it can cause lawsuits. If you don't like someone whether it be a member here, a player, or other people, do not under any circumstances call them names, make fun of their sexuality, or....can't remember
2. Keep language PG-13. No obscene language. Editing with symbols such as @#!* is not permitted either.
3. No name calling. The staff has built this place as a different forum from CTs. We like debates, but we expect members to respect others and their opinions.
4. No sexually explicate material. Keep pictures PG-13. NO nudity!

5. No hate speech. Hate speech is any communication which disparages a person or a group on the basis of some characteristic such as race or sexual orientation
6. Spamming is not allowed, unless you have permission by the staff. advertising another forum advertise here as long as they do it once and with the staff's permission, please don't advertise goods and services.

Failure to adhere to the rules will result in a verbal warning.
Second offense will result in a weeks banning
Third offense you will be banned.

Spamming will result in an immediate banning.

Note: St. Louis Legends staff reserves the right to dismiss any member of their choosing for whatever reason.
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Pitch clock
Topic Started: Jan 9 2018, 07:14 PM (86 Views)
waterdown
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
I think it is a great. This 2 minutes between pitches has to go.
MLB TV commentators say it may be more trouble for hitters than pitchers.
I say increasing the pace of play would be an excellent idea
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sigonella
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
You mean between innings?

There is nothing wrong with the pace of the game. All the TV timeouts are the reason for 3 hour games.

MIDMOBIRD
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Sigonella
Jan 10 2018, 03:42 AM

There is nothing wrong with the pace of the game. All the TV timeouts are the reason for 3 hour games.

I can sure tell the difference in length of games during the playoffs. They give them extra time because the advertising is so much more lucrative. I'd like to see the games speeded up at least in the playoffs.

waterdown
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
MIDMOBIRD
Jan 11 2018, 11:53 PM
Sigonella

I can sure tell the difference in length of games during the playoffs. They give them extra time because the advertising is so much more lucrative. I'd like to see the games speeded up at least in the playoffs.
MLB TV showed that games wee 30 minutes longer than in the 80's. 7 minutes due to advertising, but most the rest was delay between pitches

MIDMOBIRD
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
waterdown
Jan 12 2018, 02:48 AM
MIDMOBIRD
Jan 11 2018, 11:53 PM
Sigonella

MLB TV showed that games wee 30 minutes longer than in the 80's. 7 minutes due to advertising, but most the rest was delay between pitches
Probably even more of a gap from the seventies. I could sit through a double header in 1967 or 68 and it would take only a little more time than one game does now.

Sigonella
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Cards games began at 8 pm back in the 60's and early 70's. You could get the score on the 10 o'clock news as a final...

Prot
Member Avatar
I'll admit the possibility that I am Robert Porter if you'll admit the possibility I am from KPAX
[ *  *  * ]
A typical pitch should not take more than 20 seconds. However, there are many instances where 20 seconds is simply not enough. There needs to be some provisions for exceptions or special provisions for when that clock starts or perhaps stops. A limit to the number of times a pitcher may exceed that time and secondary time limit of sorts might work better. We certainly don't want players getting hurt because they were rushed. There are many reasons for why games take longer than 20 years ago. Let's take a look at a few.

Commercials are only one of the big reasons. I will accept that it adds 7 minutes per game compared to 20 years ago.

Replay challenge takes an average of 96 seconds. If each manager uses 2, that adds 6.4 minutes to the came. (We have now accounted for 13.4 minutes)

The average game has 14 more pitches per team (149 vs 135) than it did in the 80's because of pitcher and batter approach. That accounts for 9.3 minutes a game at 20 seconds a pitch. (Now we have accounted for 22.7 minutes)

There were an average of 1.6 pitching changes per game per team before - compared to 3.2 now. At 2 minutes per change, that adds 6.4 minutes. (Our total is now 29.1 minutes higher.)

I cannot find the numbers on the number of visits to the mound that do not result in a pitching change, but I suspect it has also increased. I suspect it adds a couple minutes.

But let's look closer to see if time between pitches is the issue. If the average game takes 3 hours (180 minutes) and we subtract 6.4 minutes for replay, subtract 12.8 minutes for pitching changes and subtract 38 minutes for between half innings - that leaves 122.8 minutes for actual game action. If each game has 298 pitches then we are averaging about 24.7 seconds between pitches. But, (don't forget) that 24.6 seconds includes the hitter running the bases, the ump dusting the plate, delays for foul ball hitting ump or catcher, injuries, etc. Suddenly we see that the time between pitches is probably nowhere near 20 seconds, so setting a 20 second limit will probably only impact the worst offenders if instituted properly.

Of course we haven't even accounted for extra inning games.

The bottom line is that the increased length in game times has little to do with time between pitches in most instances, but those 4 hour games are may be because the pitcher is deliberating far too long or hitter not being ready and /or too impatient to wait on pitcher. So if instituted properly - the 20 second pitch clock will have no impact on the normal game, only the dragged out games. It could eliminate all the cat and mouse games between the pitcher stepping off the mound and the batter stepping out of the box and all the unlimited time-out crap.

waterdown
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Good points Prot.
Just happy to see there is some progress on the pitch counts at least. It's a start.

I would abolish IR regular if it were up to me. They could limit NY to 30 seconds for review
Definitely could limit catchers going to pitchers and pitching coaches' Always seemed like a loophole in the rule limiting managerial visits

spiritofstlouis
Member Avatar
From the dregs of the diseased mind
[ *  *  * ]
Prot
Jan 15 2018, 05:41 PM
A typical pitch should not take more than 20 seconds. However, there are many instances where 20 seconds is simply not enough. There needs to be some provisions for exceptions or special provisions for when that clock starts or perhaps stops. A limit to the number of times a pitcher may exceed that time and secondary time limit of sorts might work better. We certainly don't want players getting hurt because they were rushed. There are many reasons for why games take longer than 20 years ago. Let's take a look at a few.

Commercials are only one of the big reasons. I will accept that it adds 7 minutes per game compared to 20 years ago.

Replay challenge takes an average of 96 seconds. If each manager uses 2, that adds 6.4 minutes to the came. (We have now accounted for 13.4 minutes)

The average game has 14 more pitches per team (149 vs 135) than it did in the 80's because of pitcher and batter approach. That accounts for 9.3 minutes a game at 20 seconds a pitch. (Now we have accounted for 22.7 minutes)

There were an average of 1.6 pitching changes per game per team before - compared to 3.2 now. At 2 minutes per change, that adds 6.4 minutes. (Our total is now 29.1 minutes higher.)

I cannot find the numbers on the number of visits to the mound that do not result in a pitching change, but I suspect it has also increased. I suspect it adds a couple minutes.

But let's look closer to see if time between pitches is the issue. If the average game takes 3 hours (180 minutes) and we subtract 6.4 minutes for replay, subtract 12.8 minutes for pitching changes and subtract 38 minutes for between half innings - that leaves 122.8 minutes for actual game action. If each game has 298 pitches then we are averaging about 24.7 seconds between pitches. But, (don't forget) that 24.6 seconds includes the hitter running the bases, the ump dusting the plate, delays for foul ball hitting ump or catcher, injuries, etc. Suddenly we see that the time between pitches is probably nowhere near 20 seconds, so setting a 20 second limit will probably only impact the worst offenders if instituted properly.

Of course we haven't even accounted for extra inning games.

The bottom line is that the increased length in game times has little to do with time between pitches in most instances, but those 4 hour games are may be because the pitcher is deliberating far too long or hitter not being ready and /or too impatient to wait on pitcher. So if instituted properly - the 20 second pitch clock will have no impact on the normal game, only the dragged out games. It could eliminate all the cat and mouse games between the pitcher stepping off the mound and the batter stepping out of the box and all the unlimited time-out crap.

Posted Image

Dude, you nailed it. Personally, I love the fact that baseball has no time clock. I don't care if the game is 4 hours. I won't be with my kids if I attend (at least none I could recognize), and I can listen to the end of the game with my eyes closed if at home.

Are there too many interruptions between commercials and mound visits/pitching changes ? Not if you have my bladder.

They knew what they were doing when they bought their tickets. I say let 'em crash. ^_^

Sigonella
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
It'll be enforced for a while and then go away. They aren't supposed to leave the batter's box either, but they do it all the time.

waterdown
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
There's talk now the commish might for this year since the players are a bit on edge about the state of signings
He tried to get the other changes done without the pitch clock and they wouldn't even talk to him.

« Previous Topic · The Redbird's Nest · Next Topic »
Add Reply