Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Stlouislegends. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!
Please follow these rules:
1. No slandering members, players, other staff members of other forums. Slander is very serious, as it can cause lawsuits. If you don't like someone whether it be a member here, a player, or other people, do not under any circumstances call them names, make fun of their sexuality, or....can't remember
2. Keep language PG-13. No obscene language. Editing with symbols such as @#!* is not permitted either.
3. No name calling. The staff has built this place as a different forum from CTs. We like debates, but we expect members to respect others and their opinions.
4. No sexually explicate material. Keep pictures PG-13. NO nudity!

5. No hate speech. Hate speech is any communication which disparages a person or a group on the basis of some characteristic such as race or sexual orientation
6. Spamming is not allowed, unless you have permission by the staff. advertising another forum advertise here as long as they do it once and with the staff's permission, please don't advertise goods and services.

Failure to adhere to the rules will result in a verbal warning.
Second offense will result in a weeks banning
Third offense you will be banned.

Spamming will result in an immediate banning.

Note: St. Louis Legends staff reserves the right to dismiss any member of their choosing for whatever reason.
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Chronicles of Legends Day; Maybe this should be in the Pressbox. Feel free to move it.
Topic Started: Feb 11 2012, 03:46 AM (2,474 Views)
Prot
Member Avatar
I'll admit the possibility that I am Robert Porter if you'll admit the possibility I am from KPAX
[ *  *  * ]

I am pumped!

Today I got all the tickets in my possession.
I am sitting here with 17 tickets to the game in my hand and a free parking pass to go with them. I guess the parking pass will have to be my commission. I didn't even know I was going to get that. All seats are on the 2nd and 3rd row of our section, so those wanting to sit in their seats as oppossed to mingling at the tables should have a decent seat and outside chance at homerun ball.

Following is a Chronicle of what will soon be A Legendary Day for the Legends. It is quite long, but it is the story of how April 15th will forever be remembered as Legend Day instead of IRS tax day to those of us fortunate enough to attend. Read it if you care to, I hope you enjoy it. I will post it in several posts as I got a little long winded.

But as I said, I am pumped!

Please don't respond before I have time to post it all.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Prot
Member Avatar
I'll admit the possibility that I am Robert Porter if you'll admit the possibility I am from KPAX
[ *  *  * ]
The background story:
Editors Note: It has come to my attention that the original beginning of the Legends Day concept dates all the way back to February 25th, 2011 when hoc proposed the idea of having a "Legends Day at Busch III" for the Legendites to have a chance to meet the people they talk to each day. Unfortunately, last winter I took sabatical and didn't participate much during the off season. Find the nice read here: The Concept

This all started back on July 10th of last year. Iowa started a simple thread asking us to predict the final record for the Cardinals based on where we were at All-Star break. In normal fashion for Legends the thread soon went viral as the ADHD posters took the thread on a tangent. By July 11th a wager had been made by two of our beloved blue collar posters, one of who has since turned his back on the working class to become a suit. :( jk. In a moment of irony, Ghost refers to roy as Uncle squirrel in a derisive tone, unbeknownst to him the squirrel would put the team on his back and lead a rally that wouldn't end until a World Series trophy was in the case and his picture was on a Skip Schumaker basball card. Anyway, the bet was on and it seemed that everyone soon began to taunt both of our bettors. You can read this Hall-Of-Fame here if you like to reminisce or perhaps are a new member: THE BET

Of course Coach ADHD himself (aka NC) couldn't let a derailed thread die a natural death, so he pinned the topic and the bantering grew to epic proportion. By July 19th it appeared the Cardinals were headed for the cellar and roy was half tempted to throw in the towel. Yet on July 20th spirit unceremoniously announces that he wil sit back and watch this thing unfold. The eternal optimist was not convinced that the bet was a given just yet, while roy was looking for anyway to get banned thereby nullifying the bet. Yet honor got the better of him, as he couldn't welch on the bet.

THEN IT HAPPENED: On July 21st, Casper announces a challenge to the rest of the Legendites that we should all come to the game to, in his words, "laugh at the poor soul that lost the bet".
NC chimed in that anyone travel the farthest distance should get in free. The wheels began to turn in my brain, while our faithful posters began to ridicule NC for the very suggestion. But much to his chagrin, coastal is the one who will be traveling the furthest, in fact he is even considering relocating to the Lou. Meanwhile, Ghost begans to border on rules violations by calling posters names if they wouldn't want to attend.

By July 22nd, the ever fickle roy was proclaiming a run by the Cardinals and bet was a good as his. By August 20th roy is talking about Casper having to buy "all-inclusive" tickets. My imagination starts to run wild. By September 11th even Casper is starting to wonder who is gonna win this thing. By the 20th he is wondering why he hadn't been saving up for those Blues tickets. But on the penultimate game of the season it was all settled. Casper had prevailed and suddenly the forum had a new "Princess of Cub Love".

Edited by Prot, Aug 4 2012, 05:14 PM.

Prot
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
So there it is, lest we all forget the primary purpose of this outing, an opportunity to give our beloved roy a good ole roasting in person. Reviewing the terms of the bet, and to point out that I was appointed as the Judge Advocate General for the process and took my responsibility very seriously, there was no mention that the loser was required to appear on the forum any pre-specified number of times. However, the spirit of the bet was that the loser would be subjected to 30 days of abuse from the winner. It happened that that our Princess inexplicable became absent for a couple of weeks. It is deem by this court that 2 innings in person, shall be considered equivalent to 2 weeks of forum posting. Therefore, the JAG rules that it shall be considered proper etiquette for those in attendance to refer to our man roy as "The Princess of Cub Love" for the duration of the first 2 inning of the game. How appropriate that the oppossing team is the cubs.

Now on to the Legends Day outing:
On October 8th of last year I had the distinct pleasure to meet The Ghost in a face-to-face meeting and we had a short discussion about all things Legend. It was great to meet one of my fellow Legendites in person and we had a very nice 30 minute conversation. We laughed about various threads on the site and he mentioned that the bet that he and roy had made was made with an ulterior motive. He told me that roy and he had PM discussions hoping that they could possibly get a few Legendites to show up to the game when the bet payoff came. They had hoped others would get involved with the bet. I had been contemplating the idea for a while by then.

Well, truth be told, I thought it sounded like a nice idea, but had about as much chance of happening as me winning the lottery. So after leaving I began thinking about how we could make this pipe dream into a reality. Even if we could get several people to decide to show up, what good would that be if we were scattered through out a stadium of 50,000 people. I began to work my channels with hopes of getting a few tickets.

Edited by Prot, Feb 11 2012, 04:51 PM.

Prot
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Finally, on December 21st, roy announces that the tickets have been purchased to pay off the bet, but there was no mention of a group outing. I was a little taken aback by this omission, so I broached the subject myself to test the interest. Here's a link to the thread for those interested in the read ROY PAYS OFF WAGER

First Babe shows interest, then it was hoc, followed by the bossman. A little interest, but not earth shattering. So on December 23rd, roy decided to start a thread to see who might be interested. You can read that very entertaining thread here LEGENDS DAY INTEREST. Several showed true interest. MidMo declares that he is on a 30 year boycott from paying for tickets to professional games. Spirit responds that he too is on a boycott however only 17 years. I thought to myself, I haven't bought a ticket in 30 years either. Then bossman post a poll to see who will attend and MidMo and Spirit were the very first two to declared that they would attend Legends Day. Read that thread here LEGENDS DAY POLL. I was inspired like never before, still wonder how could we pull it off.

By January 10th we had a plan of attack. On January 11th we had 8 people, or so we thought, and I approached one of my suppliers about getting me 8 tickets to the game. He said no problem, but it was before general seating tickets went on sale. Somewhere around this time Skoff proclaims that he is unwilling to pay the exhorbanant stadium pricing for the watered down beer and stadium food. So I mentioned to my supplier that the all inclusives were already on sale, he said that was the only way to go if we wanted to visit with each other.

Edited by Prot, Aug 4 2012, 05:15 PM.

Prot
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
By this time roy and I were working diligently on putting this thing together. A few short days later it became obvious that we need a few extra tickets, so roy and I decided we would divide the total cost of the remaining seats by the number of attendees, thinking if 12 showed up it would only cost us 1/3 of normal pricing. I went by to see my supplier and asked if he would mind getting some extra tickets so that they would all be together and that I would reimburse him for the extras. By the time all the smoke cleared we needed 16 tickets, well actually 14, but after discussions with roy and NC we decided that we would include Babe as she had been the first to proclaim interest, but had backed off due to health concerns. We couldn't let question of her health prevent her commitment, afterall we could always sell the tickets. I remember thinking about how Csq had said he want to be in, but was concerned with cost, so I suggest to my friend, that I wouldn't be mad if they picked up the whole tab but would reimburse if it was too much. He said he would have to run it by his boss. My suppliers boss said to get the tickets, but there would be no reimbursement required for the extra tickets. I was totally astounded. He said they have purchased party rooms before and for a good customer it was no big deal.

Well today I got the tickets and they had purchased one extra ticket in case we had a last minute Leroy who wanted to attend. I guess he already knew about Demon. For those interested in a very entertaining read that quickly got derailed, you can read that here TICKETS PURCHASED

Bottom line, while I am getting far more credit than I deserve, roy has put in a tremendous effort to make this whole thing come together. But he didn't stop there. Now thanks to Batts and roy we have an After party scheduled and a room reserved at Shlafly's. Read about the after party planning here AFTERPARTY PLAN. This is going to be an epic day for the Legends. If you can't make the game, please join us for the after party.

Oh and by the way, there is a special treat waiting for each of you when you get to the game. Top Secret - I can't divulge it now, but the Bossman, NC and Spirit have a surprise waiting for you. You will be glad you came.

By the way, if you're wonder why your spouse had to pay $25 to come, it will become more clear at the game.

Well there it is, the Chronicles of Legends Day. I hope you enjoyed reading it half as much as I enjoyed writing it.

UPDATE: There was another thread, post LD-12 that included a photo of the group along with further dialogue than can be read here POST GAME CHAT

Here is a link to an article written about LD12 weekend. PRESS RELEASE

The group photo:
Posted Image
Left to right: Zach (Skoffer's son), Skoffer, battra, houseofcards1987, redbird5, smokincards, SeattleCardsfan, NC_Cards_Fan, Prot, startgatebabe, spiritofstlouis, The Ghost, host, ghost's brother, SGB's husband, host's son

The planners:
Posted Image
Left to right: royvern, Prot

Edited by Prot, Aug 4 2012, 06:04 PM.

houseofcards1987
Member Avatar
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
I hope Prot doesn't mind a postscript to this tale..but the origins of Legends Day are perhaps a little older than we thought...
The Proof

Prot
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
houseofcards1987
Feb 11 2012, 03:59 AM
I hope Prot doesn't mind a postscript to this tale..but the origins of Legends Day are perhaps a little older than we thought...
The Proof
Cap tip to you my friend. Excellent idea and well executed strategy by some others. I took the most of the winter off from the Legends las year and was not aware of that thread.

Well done! I look forward to shaking your hand. And all the others as well.

Note: I have edited the beginning of the Chronicles to reflect the oversight on my part.
Edited by Prot, Feb 11 2012, 05:07 AM.

houseofcards1987
Member Avatar
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Prot
Feb 11 2012, 04:17 AM
houseofcards1987
Feb 11 2012, 03:59 AM
The Proof
Cap tip to you my friend. Excellent idea and well executed strategy by some others. I took the most of the winter off from the Legends las year and was not aware of that thread.

Well done! I look forward to shaking your hand. And all the others as well.
Jut thought it'd be a nice little read for our Legendites. I'm kinda a history buff, so stuff like that appeals to nerds like me.

royvern
Member Avatar
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
Prots, what a beautiful epilogue! Perfect. Everyone here realizes what I am about to say. Without your diligence, efforts, and creativity, this would have been just another "gee, that would have been swell". Thank you sir.

Prots gives me waaay more credit than I deserve. Jeez, you all read my posts. I'm lucky to post and drink gin at the same time, and I'm capable of that only rarely. Anything more than that is just a lucky happenstance.

I beg the suits to put this thread in the HOF, once it runs its' course. If it isn't worthy, then those in there now have no business there. just sayin

houseofcards1987
Member Avatar
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
royvern
Feb 11 2012, 04:34 AM
Prots, what a beautiful epilogue! Perfect. Everyone here realizes what I am about to say. Without your diligence, efforts, and creativity, this would have been just another "gee, that would have been swell". Thank you sir.

Prots gives me waaay more credit than I deserve. Jeez, you all read my posts. I'm lucky to post and drink gin at the same time, and I'm capable of that only rarely. Anything more than that is just a lucky happenstance.

I beg the suits to put this thread in the HOF, once it runs its' course. If it isn't worthy, then those in there now have no business there. just sayin
I second the motion

Dave71
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
I think everyone involved deserves a lot of credit. I am so pumped about this! Glad to see it happen!

The Ghost
Member Avatar
Keeper of the Magic Number
[ *  *  * ]
houseofcards1987
Feb 11 2012, 04:38 AM
royvern
Feb 11 2012, 04:34 AM

I second the motion
lets hear it for prot, the princess, and everyone else making legends day a reality. the motion passes. if this isnt HoF worthy, nothing is.

i especially like the part where i win the bet, and we all get to call roy "the princess" for the first few innings! i am so looking forward to it.

side note: i had forgotten about the "uncle squirrel" crack. strange the way all of the parts of this thing pulled together.

spiritofstlouis
Member Avatar
From the dregs of the diseased mind
[ *  *  * ]
Simply stated, this is the spirit of America, on display for all to enjoy.

There is no understating the valiant effort put forth by those who have gone above and beyond to make this dream a reality.

Your humility is just proof to what we already knew, that you are not only thoughtful and generous, but that you are class personified.

Once upon a time, a fine gentleman had a dream.

That dream was to create a forum designed to allow members to discuss and debate a myriad of topics in a civil manner, a haven where loyal Cardinal fans could interact without fear of recrimination. A fraternity that could post their thoughts and opinions without the name calling and petty behavior that permeates the vast majority of other blogs.

A site where anyone was welcome, and newcomers embraced without fear of being chastised by ego driven, shallow minded senior members.

Simply stated, I am honored and proud to be a member of St.Louis Legends, and am looking forward to breaking bread with those can find their way to St.Louis this spring.

For those that cannot make the trip, I offer best wishes and sincere hope that you can attend in the future. You will be there in our thoughts and prayers.

We have become a brotherhood, a family, and an example that I am sure many will strive to emulate.

I humbly salute each and everyone of you.

12 in 12.

NC Cards Fan
Member Avatar
They call me pesky!
[ *  *  * ]
What a nice read to wake up to. Everyone that is mentioned in this thread is worthy. What a family of friends this site has become and Prot has been working nonstop on this and his efforts do not go by unnoticed.
One small addition, the day Prot got the first batch of tickets I received a call informing me that there was a ticket with my name on it if I could get there. My wife asked how much a plane ticket would cost and after prayer we looked at fares for that weekend. To my suprise they were less than $200 if a 1-stop flight was used! It shocked me and the flight was booked before rates increased.

royvern
Member Avatar
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
A tad OT (imagine such here) but I think spirit's 12 IN 12 would make a fine official motto for this fine site for this season. just a thought. If boss has no problem with it.

spiritofstlouis
Member Avatar
From the dregs of the diseased mind
[ *  *  * ]
royvern
Feb 11 2012, 02:50 PM
A tad OT (imagine such here) but I think spirit's 12 IN 12 would make a fine official motto for this fine site for this season. just a thought. If boss has no problem with it.
I strongly second that, amigo, although I cannot take credit for it. It has been posted before by several others.

redbird5
Member Avatar
The Bossman
[ *  *  * ]
This could be a news story. I have plans for Legends Day as well, but keeping a tight lid on it.

smokincards
Member Avatar
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
I need a ruling. Since I will not be with you fine individuals at the game itself, do I get a small window of opportunity at the after party to induce some good ribbing on Roy as well? I mean missing out on the Princess of Cubby Love is just down right disappointing.

Prot
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I re-read my Chronicles this morning and noticed that I had failed to mention Coastal traveling all the way from Seattle to come to the game. I also had failed to mention Skoff's comment about stadium pricing which had inspired me to ask my supplier for an all=inclusive section. And Csq concern with cost was something that had always been on my mind. Then I noticed that I had failed to give Batts acknowledgement for helping and/or coordinating the after-party.

Also, due to scheduling a double knee replacement MidMo had to cancel, but D71 our rookie member in attendance has stepped in to fill that seat.

My apologizes for those omissions, I have since went back and edited my previous posts to include them. I did not intentionally leave anyone out who had a direct or indirect.

The one thing that made me feel the best was the fact that everyone who is attending said yes they wanted to come, before they knew the tickets were free. No one was looking for a handout as far as I could tell. I respect that and it that is what this group is about.
Edited by Prot, Feb 11 2012, 05:41 PM.

Prot
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
smokincards
Feb 11 2012, 05:19 PM
I need a ruling. Since I will not be with you fine individuals at the game itself, do I get a small window of opportunity at the after party to induce some good ribbing on Roy as well? I mean missing out on the Princess of Cubby Love is just down right disappointing.
Oh I suspect that by the second inning most will have forgotten that there was a cut off time set. At least that was my expectation. Please stay in the loop and we will meet before the game as well. Have you guys already got your tickets? If not we might be able to get enough donors to upgrade you to be with our group. Afterall, the cost is nothing so far. If everyone threw in $5-$10 bucks it would cover difference in price from standard tickets to the party room.

Either way it will still be a blast.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Hall of Fame · Next Topic »
Add Reply