Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Stlouislegends. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!
Please follow these rules:
1. No slandering members, players, other staff members of other forums. Slander is very serious, as it can cause lawsuits. If you don't like someone whether it be a member here, a player, or other people, do not under any circumstances call them names, make fun of their sexuality, or....can't remember
2. Keep language PG-13. No obscene language. Editing with symbols such as @#!* is not permitted either.
3. No name calling. The staff has built this place as a different forum from CTs. We like debates, but we expect members to respect others and their opinions.
4. No sexually explicate material. Keep pictures PG-13. NO nudity!

5. No hate speech. Hate speech is any communication which disparages a person or a group on the basis of some characteristic such as race or sexual orientation
6. Spamming is not allowed, unless you have permission by the staff. advertising another forum advertise here as long as they do it once and with the staff's permission, please don't advertise goods and services.

Failure to adhere to the rules will result in a verbal warning.
Second offense will result in a weeks banning
Third offense you will be banned.

Spamming will result in an immediate banning.

Note: St. Louis Legends staff reserves the right to dismiss any member of their choosing for whatever reason.
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Blues re-sign Elliott to 3 year deal
Topic Started: May 19 2014, 04:21 PM (108 Views)
BMike88
Member Avatar
MIZ STL
[ *  *  * ]
Quote:

The Blues have made a decision regarding their goaltending situation, signing goaltender Brian Elliott to a contract extension and moving on from Ryan Miller.

The club and Elliott, who would have become an unrestricted free agent in June, have agreed to a three-year deal worth $7.5 million.

The Blues' goalie tandem for the 2014-15 season is now in place, with Elliott and prospect Jake Allen set to share the responsibilities, squeezing out Miller after a high-profile stint last season.

Miller, who was acquired Feb. 28 in a trade from Buffalo, was 10-8-1 with a 2.47 goals-against average and a .903 save-percentage in 19 regular-season games and 2-4 with a 2.70 GAA and an .897 save-percentage in six playoff games.

Miller, who will turn 34 on July 17, is wrapping up a five-year, $31.25 million contract and will become an unrestricted free agent in June.

The Blues were believed to have had interest in re-signing Miller when they made the deal with the Sabres, having given up a package of forward Chris Stewart, goalie Jaroslav Halak, a first-round draft pick in 2015 and a third-round pick in 2016 to acquire him.

In fact, the Blues notified Miller of their desire to keep him in the fold beyond the 2013-14 season prior to the playoffs in talks that the netminder labeled not "very serious."

After the club lost its first-round playoff series against Chicago, Miller was asked about a potential return to the Blues.

I definitely like St. Louis ... like the guys, like the team," he said. "But well see what they feel about the playoffs.

Three weeks after the end of the season, and more than a month before the opening of free agency, the Blues have made up their mind.

After finding Elliott in free agency in 2011, signing him to a one-year, two-way contract worth $600,000, the Blues have inked him to his third deal with the club.

Elliott paid immediate dividends in 2011-12, posting a record of 23-10-4 and leading the NHL with a 1.56 goals-against average and a .940 save-percentage. Along with Halak, the two won the Jennings Trophy for the fewest goals against in the league, and Elliott signed a new two-year, $3.6 million extension.

Elliott struggled in 2012-13, however, watching 11 games as a healthy scratch and needing a conditioning assignment in the American Hockey League. But he closed the regular season solid, finishing 14-8-1 with a 2.28 GAA and a .907 save-percentage, and stayed in the net for the team's playoff series against LA.

The Blues leaned heavily on a leaner Halak at the start of the 2013-14 season, but Elliott made the most of his 31 games. He was 18-6-2 with a 1.96 GAA and a .922 save-percentage in the regular season with four shutouts. His 17 shutouts ranks second in franchise history behind Halak.

But with the club considered as a strong Stanley Cup contenders, the Blues acquired Miller near the trade deadline and put Elliott on the backburner. He made only six appearances in the final 23 regular season games and did not play in the postseason.

Im not nave, Elliott said after the season, and I understand why I was sitting. It was a move that they made and they kind of had to go with it.

The Blues are now making their next move, however, going with Elliott.
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/morning-skate/blues-re-sign-elliott-move-on-from-miller/article_7f860a08-1d58-5929-9b3c-5f71ec326a38.html

I like the move. Miller wants way too much money for what he's worth. Take that $$ and invest in some scoring.

I would assume that Allen will take control by the end of the year.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

spiritofstlouis
Member Avatar
From the dregs of the diseased mind
[ *  *  * ]
I'm on board, Miller was a disappointment and everything I read about Allen seems promising.

I hope they use the money to re-sign Ott. He not only played well in the playoffs, it would be nice to have something to show for the trade.

What coulda been, we woulda smoked the Rangers or Montreal. :(

Will Clark22
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
I would like to associate myself with the above comments. Allen and Elliott should be a solid tandem. Now, it's time to concentrate on a center and a defenseman that can clear the crease. Time for some to move on. Morrow, Roy, Berglund and as much as I hate to say it Polak. Tell Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo to beef up an start engaging players, play the man and stop trying to block shots.

royvern
Member Avatar
Super Sub
[ *  *  * ]
I LOVE this deal as well. I also agree with all that you both have said.

Thanks for the heads up, 22.

« Previous Topic · Blues · Next Topic »
Add Reply